any interest in a new line of premium shrimp soil?

EricM

any interest in a new line of premium shrimp soil?

Key points are the following....

1 - Can add shrimp 1-2 days after adding water to the tank. no ammonia leach like Amazonia.

2 - Contains 12-15% Fulvic acid vs 8-10% in Amazonia. thus even softer water.
3 - Shrimp friendly microorganisms/bacteria shipped in the soil.

pricing details to come. still be worked out.  

15363272315_892a1d883e_b.jpg

I'm interested in hearing more, as well as pricing.

yes pricing is what is going to make or break this soil i'm thinking. I havent received pricing yet but will soon.

Sounds pretty good!

yes sure does. i'm pretty excited about it also.

Sounds interesting.

sounds really nice to me!

How soft does the water get?  I use UP sand, and it has no leeching either and shrimp can be added that day.  However I've been having ph in the 5's, whereas I'd like it in the 6's.

as with any buffering substrate it will buffer from high 5's to mid 6's.

Also in terms of pricing, as long as it's priced competitively or same as amazonia, Id go for it. 

being that its a specialty premium shrimp soil I'd say it will be slightly more that amazonia.  think about the benefits it has over amazonia.

as with any buffering substrate it will buffer from high 5's to mid 6's.

being that its a specialty premium shrimp soil I'd say it will be slightly more that amazonia.  think about the benefits it has over amazonia.

yah.. I suppose, I don't like waiting a month for cycling. Hope the price isn't like $100 for 3L lol 

another idiot question...why would I want/need to utilize a shrimp substrate?  For pH, KH, gH purposes?  What would I hope to gain from it?  My water has a pH of about 7.5 -- the other two I know but get them mixed up -- whatever buffers the water is low (1-2)  the other is about 10.  Any thoughts and insights will be most welcome.  I do want to eventually broaden my horizons into more difficult shrimp from a water standpoint, but havent yet really dedicated myself to FULLY understanding how to raise and lower those parameters with any confidence.

with taiwain bees you want to go to low 6s for ph.   

The hard part should not be getting the agreement setup but getting it approved through fish and wild life. As I think that is where other fell short getting new soil in

the manufacture is handling all the details, which is amazing for me. so far looks on track and no issues.  

(beyond the details i need, like pricing)

yah.. I suppose, I don't like waiting a month for cycling. Hope the price isn't like $100 for 3L lol 

I will not bother selling it if its not reasonably priced. I already made that known to them. for all the pros it has over amazonia I expect it to be more expensive for sure, but past the $60 for 9L range and it gets really hard to sell to anyone other than purists.  either they want to sell 50 or they want to sell 5. their choice.

another idiot question...why would I want/need to utilize a shrimp substrate?  For pH, KH, gH purposes?  What would I hope to gain from it?  My water has a pH of about 7.5 -- the other two I know but get them mixed up -- whatever buffers the water is low (1-2)  the other is about 10.  Any thoughts and insights will be most welcome.  I do want to eventually broaden my horizons into more difficult shrimp from a water standpoint, but havent yet really dedicated myself to FULLY understanding how to raise and lower those parameters with any confidence.

for Taiwan Bees you really want your PH into the low 6s, for CRS/CBS you are good mid 6s, neos the range is much wider, and tigers 7ish.

so if you want to have the most success you really need a substrate specifically designed for keeping shrimp.

So the sustrate lowers my pH to a predetermined level? I am currently using tap water - will that still be the case? Will I need to get into RO water? How long will the substrate last and how would it be recharged without screwing up the parameters if it does? A lot of questions there, I know. Sorry but your patience is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question 1 yes the soil will lower your ph.

Question 2 yes you can use tap water but the higher ph will affect the life of the substrate.

Question 3 i would get an ro unit... With the cost of the shrimp your keeping its worth it, ro allows you to have full control of you gh/kh value and you know there isnt any harmful chemicals in your water. Most substrates last about a year and a halft to two years... Ive never recharged it.. I would just swap it out. No problem helping each other is what the shrimp spot is all about!

So the sustrate lowers my pH to a predetermined level? I am currently using tap water - will that still be the case? Will I need to get into RO water? How long will the substrate last and how would it be recharged without screwing up the parameters if it does? A lot of questions there, I know. Sorry but your patience is appreciated.

just like any other buffering substrate, it will try to lower your PH to a certain range depending on your water.  if you are using HARD tap water (which you shouldnt be for many reasons) it will have to work harder to lower the PH and probably will suffer a shortened life because of this.  

as far as "recharging" any buffering substrate you are playing with fire. best is to just get a 2nd tank ready when you notice your PH levels are no longer stable and you know you've had your substrate for 1-1.5yrs or maybe more if you only use 100% RO.  

currently i dont have an expected life span information for this substrate.  

How about Sulawesi shrimp that want a high pH. Is there a substrate for that as well?

there is not currently a sulawesi designed substrate I'm aware of. because of the higher PH most just use something inert.

Question 1 yes the soil will lower your ph.

Question 2 yes you can use tap water but the higher ph will affect the life of the substrate.

Question 3 i would get an ro unit... With the cost of the shrimp your keeping its worth it, ro allows you to have full control of you gh/kh value and you know there isnt any harmful chemicals in your water. Most substrates last about a year and a halft to two years... Ive never recharged it.. I would just swap it out. No problem helping each other is what the shrimp spot is all about!

1. yes. into the low 6s.

2. yes. BUT this will be different person to person as tap water is completely different all over this country. again many reasons why you should be using RO vs tap.  if you have hard high ph tap water you will definitely be taking life off your substrate faster than if you were using soft RO water.

3.  not a question but yes i completely agree. if you want to have true success with shrimp, RO water is really your best option.