any interest in a new line of premium shrimp soil?

EricM

Share some more info. What ph does it buffer to. How long does the buffer last, does it buffer gh and kh. Does it affect tds. No ammonia leeching what about nitrate or nitrite. How fast will it buffer 8.0 tap for example down to the desired ph?

Share some more info. What ph does it buffer to. How long does the buffer last, does it buffer gh and kh. Does it affect tds. No ammonia leeching what about nitrate or nitrite. How fast will it buffer 8.0 tap for example down to the desired ph?

thats a lot of specific questions i dont have the answers to atm.

buffers RO down to 6-6.5.

buffering 8.0 tap water is kinda an open question. also depends on what else is going on with your tap water.  

My question is how long will this substrate last? besides buffering does it come with the benefits of aquasoil for plants? Honestly, if its priced higher than aquasoil, i'm not sure how many people will use it other than try it once. Since aquasoil is tried and true for many of us. If its not money saving, then theres not much of a reason to switch from aquasoil. I mean, most shrimper lets the tank mature for 2-3 months before adding shrimps anyways, so the leeching never bothered me...

Just my two cent. Of course if its cheaper than sign me up, since I am in the process of planning a fish/shrimp room and the idea of buying 5-10 bags of aquasoil makes me wanna cry, lol.

Bostoneric, I would be extremely interested dependent on price and shipping. How long is the buffering capacity, would be have to swap after 6months, 1 year+? Are you saying we can add shrimp 1-2 days because no ammonia, or because the tank is done cycling? Your tank still has to cycle, unless there is some much beneficial bacteria in this substrate that it would completely soak up any and all ammonia, and nitrite.

My question is how long will this substrate last? besides buffering does it come with the benefits of aquasoil for plants? Honestly, if its priced higher than aquasoil, i'm not sure how many people will use it other than try it once. Since aquasoil is tried and true for many of us. If its not money saving, then theres not much of a reason to switch from aquasoil. I mean, most shrimper lets the tank mature for 2-3 months before adding shrimps anyways, so the leeching never bothered me...

Just my two cent. Of course if its cheaper than sign me up, since I am in the process of planning a fish/shrimp room and the idea of buying 5-10 bags of aquasoil makes me wanna cry, lol.

so trying to understand what you are saying... so even though its been specifically designed for greater success with shrimp you wouldn't pay more for the benefits  (on paper at this point till i receive it) it has over aquasoil?  I think you might be in the minority.  put aside that I would like to sell it, i'd love to finally be able to have a premium substrate designed for shrimp in the US and know many others would by the amount of questions i get all the time about shrimp substrates.

thats the biggest reason why i've made this effort. 

Bostoneric, I would be extremely interested dependent on price and shipping. How long is the buffering capacity, would be have to swap after 6months, 1 year+? Are you saying we can add shrimp 1-2 days because no ammonia, or because the tank is done cycling? Your tank still has to cycle, unless there is some much beneficial bacteria in this substrate that it would completely soak up any and all ammonia, and nitrite.

I have no further info on the length of buffering time but based on the information i've seen about the % of humic and fulvic I bet it would outlast amazonia in the length of buffering time.  yes no ammonia, yes there is beneficial bacteria already within the substrate for the shrimp, information says you can add shrimp within days of adding water, as far as biofilm which is what i think you mean by cycle, I'd probably still dose something under the substrate (old sea mud/ etc) and add some sort of biofilm kickstarter such as Bacter AE.  but those are not necessary as far as i'm aware. 

so trying to understand what you are saying... so even though its been specifically designed for greater success with shrimp you wouldn't pay more for the benefits  (on paper at this point till i receive it) it has over aquasoil?  I think you might be in the minority.  put aside that I would like to sell it, i'd love to finally be able to have a premium substrate designed for shrimp in the US and know many others would by the amount of questions i get all the time about shrimp substrates.

thats the biggest reason why i've made this effort. 

its design for, not that it is proven. This is a new line of substrate. You are asking us at this point after telling us "this substrate is design to do this do that" with no user testimony on how great it is, would i pay more for it than aquasoil, of which i have used for years with much success. I'm not sure how i am in the minority in saying probably not.

You have to remember, even with all its negative aspects, aquasoil is so popular because it works and most of us knows it works. So when starting a  new tank would i spend 100+ bucks on 2 bag of aquasoil that i know will work but is a pain in the butt or  on a new substrates with lots of promises that might or might not work.

What i'm saying is, if the price of it is decent, i would try it and if it works great, awesome. If it sucks i didn't waste a bunch of money. But if its priced higher than aquasoil, then why risk it? when what i am using is already working and doing well?

its design for, not that it is proven. This is a new line of substrate. You are asking us at this point after telling us "this substrate is design to do this do that" with no user testimony on how great it is, would i pay more for it than aquasoil, of which i have used for years with much success. I'm not sure how i am in the minority in saying probably not.

You have to remember, even with all its negative aspects, aquasoil is so popular because it works and most of us knows it works. So when starting a  new tank would i spend 100+ bucks on 2 bag of aquasoil that i know will work but is a pain in the butt or  on a new substrates with lots of promises that might or might not work.

What i'm saying is, if the price of it is decent, i would try it and if it works great, awesome. If it sucks i didn't waste a bunch of money. But if its priced higher than aquasoil, then why risk it? when what i am using is already working and doing well?

sorry i wasnt clear, this could be a new line of subtrate to the USA. its been proven in other countries.  but totally understand what you are saying about it.

love the feedback.

Wow the feedback seems harsh....haha.  

Personally would love to see some variety in shrimp soil.  Many other countries have a huge selection to choose from (i.e. netlea) and I for one would love to see an alternative. 
I don't mind ADA amazonia, but some batches make a whole room smell like catpiss thanks to ammonia leaching.  I tend to stay away from ammonia leaching substrate.  It's why I use africana/malaya. ADA is nice and all, but I wouldn't mind seeing alternatives.  Heck some out there do a good job like azoo already.

If it's quality I'll surely pay more. But like many have mentioned I guess how much more is also important.  

I was wondering if there is a selection of colors it comes in?  I sometimes like brown to bring out darker color shrimp color more against the background.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to bring in another alternative to amazonia, I'll be looking forward to more details! Keep up the good work!  

sorry i wasnt clear, this could be a new line of subtrate to the USA. its been proven in other countries.  but totally understand what you are saying about it.

love the feedback.

That makes more sense. I would totally pay more than aquasoil for benebachi or ebi gold lol =D

That makes more sense. I would totally pay more than aquasoil for benebachi or ebi gold lol =D

I would even rate this above both those based off feedback I've been given from people who've used those 2 and the new secret one ;)

With the way, I use containers for my substrate, this would be excellent substrate to use and easy to change out each year too.

This could be the best to use and I would be interested in it for sure.