sponge filters

Another question that I feel silly asking, bet here goes anyway.  This is the first time I have dealt with sponge filters.  In my 20l, I am running an Aquaclear 70 and a sponge filter that is rated for up to a 40 gallon tank, so filtration in not a factor.  However the clear plastic tube that allows I would call the outlet is above the water line.  Should this be cut down to allow for a true outlet?  I know its a silly question, but one none-the-less.  Thank you in advance once again.

My up tube is like 3 inches long way below the water line, Shoothing and I had a chat about this and we both decided that the shorter the up tube the more water is pulled threw the sponge filter would give you the maximum filtration based by volume of water passed threw the filter theoretically.

Really think so?

So the shorter tube..

Interesting :)

More bubbles leaving the tube faster = more draw of water threw the sponge the longer the air is in the tube the longer the dwell time in the tube before exiting = reduced gph flow, the only down side is shrimp getting a bubble beat down if they swim over it. Seems logical?

I am not sure but I think if the outlet is just at the water level you will get the max flow rating, the air bubbles will not be fighting with water molecules to push them out like when the outlet is below the water level, or need to lift water molecules upward if the outlet is above the water level.

Also placing the outlet at the water level will disturb the surface and prevent films buildup.

I think it boil's down to volume ,displacement, frictional force, time and gravity. Think short vs long with applied forces, short is affected less by applied forces meaning more volume, displacement, reduced frictional force, less time affected by gravity = higher flow rate?

Ok...this is my thread! :) As the newbie I need an answer.

At the water line, below slightly or below significantly. I still don't know then why a tube is needed at all if the height is increasing the flow.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think it matters... If it did the filter would come with instructions... I think we are all over thinking this one lol

totally agree. doubt there is even a little difference. i tend to put my outlets right at the water level to provide some movement of the water surface.

There will be not much difference in water flow since our tanks are few inches high, the most important thing you need to do is to clean the sponge regularly to allow water flow, otherwise your sponge filter will act as an air stone. 

While it's true there will be no mechanical filtration that way, there will still be biofiltration due to the colonies of bacteria living on it.