sponge filters

Probably the bio filtration will not be as effective as if there is good water flow through the sponge, to bring all the good stuff that the bacteria and other microorganism feeds on. if you turn off a filter that has a sponge in it for few hours or a day, it will start to smell really bad versus if the water is flowing through it continuously.

*shrugs* You may be correct. However a couple things to consider.  The sponge is saturated with water.  The inside is not dry, thus water still moves back and forth via molecule exchanges.  Another consideration is that bacteria does not permeate the sponge filter.  It only lives on the outside 1" or so, so water doesn't have to "get in" very far for the contents to be useful to a bacterial colony.  We use the same concept on media.

When I had the same question, I did some looking at at least one of the manufacturer's websites. They recommended the tube reach nearly to the surface. For me, however, the evaporation lowered the water level too quickly to the top of the tubes. So I cut the tubes about 1.5 inches from the water level.... don't know if it is best, but what I figured out ;)

Yepper.  We all have different opinions and experiences, so many different opinions and answers.  And then, later on, those opinions will change with new knowledge and experiences.  What seems correct today, may be different tomorrow.  This is what keeps shrimping exciting.  All the grey areas. ;)

Than why have any tube at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Builds up the flow and keeps the air compacted and moving up the lifter. This speeds up as it goes and pulls more water. It helps to attaching an airstone under the inside plastic creates more flow IMO.

Sorry my notifications arent working well now, here is a picture of what I mean. I tried it in a few tanks and it seems to be pulling alot more through. If anything it kills two birds with one stone. Oxygenates the water and provides more flow. No need for seperate lines for stones.

09316ea725809fd6c8abb585b50a8f28.jpg