leaves and greens

kell73k

I keep seeing everywhere that shrimp love leaves and greens. I tried everything I can get my hands on and my shrimp just ignore it. I parboiled the greens (tried kale and spinach) nothing. Am I missing something or is it just because my tank is established and they are not hungry? They don't seem to really care much for shrimp food either. I see all the photos of shrimp swarming food and leaves in others tanks and want mine to do it :(

Shrimp are weird and picky eaters from tank to tank they will prefer different food's and have been known to completely ignore some foods. I am trying to wean my shrimp off snowflake because the will barley touch anything else.

Try blanched zucchini, stinging nettles and Swiss chard as far as leaves go they really like mulberry leaves. Do you feed bacter ae? My shrimp seem content eating bio film and the only thing that excites them is snowflake.

My shrimp seem content eating bio film and the only thing that excites them is snowflake.

Same here! What is it about snowflake that gets them all moving? Have tried blanched spinach and various proprietary shrimp foods, but the only one that gets this kind of response is the snowflake.  

Try blanched zucchini, stinging nettles and Swiss chard as far as leaves go they really like mulberry leaves. Do you feed bacter ae? My shrimp seem content eating bio film and the only thing that excites them is snowflake.

I tried the zucchini and nothing. I have some mulberry leaves on the way to try. I use ridx for bacteria feeding. I seen it posted on a shrimp site thats it is basically the same thing and much cheaper. 

Same here! What is it about snowflake that gets them all moving? Have tried blanched spinach and various proprietary shrimp foods, but the only one that gets this kind of response is the snowflake.  

Even the snowflake barely gets a response from my guys. really wish I could find something to get them swarming in one spot. I ordered some bee pollen to try have you guys tried this before?

Kel, I think this means that you have a good supply of biofilm to feed them naturally. I know it's cool to see them swarm, but yours aren't doing this because they aren't hungry. They are full and happy already.

I don't know what it is about snowflake, but mine love it too. I feed it fairly infrequently though, and mine do like the veggies, too.

I did notice that with the kale and beet greens (not zucchini, spinach, or others) they really get interested after half a day or more. Maybe I'm not breaking down the fibers enough with my light boiling, but they seem to go for them more if they get "old". Mine have never spent much time on the IAL or dried guava leaves. Those take forever to breakdown and disappear in my tank, which is fine, but not what I expected.

The only specie of shrimp that I know of that will swarm anything given to them is Malawa shrimp. no matter how many times I feed them they seems hungry all the time.

Amanos do the same in my tanks, they are ravenous! Also have serious case of food jealousy.

i put fresh mulbery leaves in my tanks and the shrimp love them. i just run them under hot water to clean them and let them cool a bit before going in the tank. they didnt like the frozen mulberry leaves as well but still went to them. mine like snowflake, if your tank has alot of bio film then they wont need the foods as much for a while

Amanos do the same in my tanks, they are ravenous! Also have serious case of food jealousy.

I can relate to that - one of my amanos wasn't letting go of a pellet meant for the platies no matter how much they begged!

1477365_368168833339626_2689945826782461

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I am betting shrimp would love the tantora chinese spinach leaves. Mine don't seem to like the snowflake at all. But they love

Mulberry leaves, organic spinach leaves, stinging needle leaves, blanched zucchini, Indian Almond leaves, and Bacter AE. They also

love the Bee Pollen, they eat it up big time.