RO or RODI unit?

It looks like BRS is discontinuing the 5 stage and replacing them with 6 stage systems.Now you can get one more filter for the same price as the 5 stage.I have the BRS 5 stage 75gpd and love it. Simple to hook up and use.

I personally use an RO and not an RODI, I don't think you need the purity the DI gives you in shrimp tanks and it is one less thing you need to be replacing.

I go back and forth on this with the cost of RO water versus an RO unit, but it just seems to come out so close cost wise, then you factor in your time with a RO unit versus RO water that is ready to use. Maybe I just haven't found the right RO unit.

So my understanding is that pros to having an ro unit is less things to add to your water cons are that you can't control what your tds is exactly. With an rodi unit cons are that there are many more things to replace. Pros are you can get your parameters exactly where you want them. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should know? Thanks for all the help guys I am a big noob. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big is your operation, i.e. How much water will you be going through? If you're doing under 10g a week I bet you won't have to replace things very often. I like my small portable RO/DI unit (at least now that I've gotten the better faucet connector). It's been incredibly reliable, easy to use, still gets me water at 0 TDS after several months of use. (Purewaterclub model)

ETA oh and it matters how hard your water is to start with. Do you know the TDS of your tap water? If it's pretty high, things will wear out faster.

I go back and forth on this with the cost of RO water versus an RO unit, but it just seems to come out so close cost wise, then you factor in your time with a RO unit versus RO water that is ready to use. Maybe I just haven't found the right RO unit.

I wish I live close to my gf. She doesn't have to pay water bill for her apt. I would so buy RO unit if my water was free :(

Then I be able to house the blue bolts I've always wanted!!

How big is your operation, i.e. How much water will you be going through? If you're doing under 10g a week I bet you won't have to replace things very often. I like my small portable RO/DI unit (at least now that I've gotten the better faucet connector). It's been incredibly reliable, easy to use, still gets me water at 0 TDS after several months of use. (Purewaterclub model)

ETA oh and it matters how hard your water is to start with. Do you know the TDS of your tap water? If it's pretty high, things will wear out faster.

so if I am not changing more than ten gallons from my 11.4 then I can use rodi water without replacing anything and or adding anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would still need to use remineralizer in the water with either RO or RO/DI. There is a small difference in the resulting purity, but RO is still basically pure water with none of the minerals and other stuff shrimp need.

But the filters in the RO/DI unit won't wear out quickly if you aren't filtering many gallons of water, so maintenance on it will be minimal, and comparable to the RO, most likely. You could likely go either way, although I like the peace of mind of the "max" filtering myself. As High5s noted, you may want additional filtering depending on your local water.

But, for that matter, if you aren't needing many gallons of water, you might be better off buying it. Just do it from a grocery store dispenser with a good log of their quality control, or as gallon jugs. At least in my area, I think the LFS was more expensive.

I was buying jugs to top off my small tank, but during the summer, my cooling fan was on all the time, and I got tired of jugs to replace the evaporation. I invested $70 in my unit, and I'm very happy with it, also figure I'll come out ahead within the year.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but, are there any difference with water parameters from an ro and rodi unit if used in the same place?

With my well water, RO comes out at ~4 ppm, RO/DI is 0 ppm. I have a reef tank and prefer RO/DI but even when I only kept shrimp, I only used RO/DI so I knew what was making up my water. I use and will only use Vertex Puratek Deluxe units, plug and play unit with auto flush. Pressure pump speeds up production and increases efficiency to reduce waste water.

I use the Barracuda RO/DI Unit. Honestly if your going to spend the money, spend the extra couple dollars and get the DI Chamber as well. This part finishes the water to its purest state. As water passes over the resins in this chamber the remaining "salts" or ions exchange out and only Hydrogen and Hydroxide ions are released into the stream.