New sponge....

I saw this on Facebook today.

What do you think?

post-84-0-63834800-1413265235_thumb.jpg

Agreed.  one benefit of normal air sponges is they are cheap.  If you start adding motors to them they quickly become more expensive.

Yep, I am inclined to agree too. Why take away the bubbles. I guess it is supposed to be quiet. I'm not sure, but I saw it on Facebook, and thought I would show it here.

Personally I like the look of it. You've got to have a power outlet for an air pump anyway and air pumps are just too noisy for me.

Looks like oxydators are taking off so there would be no real loss of aeration really.

I'm really interested. Whereabouts on Facebook did you see it Doc? Could save me a long search. Have posted a picture on a couple of shrimp groups I belong to on FB.

Just had some interesting responses from FB:

"Do what I did and bought a air operated double foam filter off eBay and also bought a mini mains water pump from ebay, pulled the lift tube off and the pump fitted straight onto the bottom tube and pushed the lift tube onto the top of the pump, job done, get the pump with the input on the bottom with the output on the top, all fits together perfect" 

​He even gave the the item numbers on eBay UK if anyone is interested. Dare say there'd be something similar in the US.

With air driven sponge filters, you can connect as many of them to an air pump as the air pump can handle. And this will only take one power outlet. But I understand if you only have one or two tanks and if you're trying to reduce the noise. However, I don't see how this sponge filter would be better than an HOB, an internal filter, or a canister.

Just had some interesting responses from FB:

"Do what I did and bought a air operated double foam filter off eBay and also bought a mini mains water pump from ebay, pulled the lift tube off and the pump fitted straight onto the bottom tube and pushed the lift tube onto the top of the pump, job done, get the pump with the input on the bottom with the output on the top, all fits together perfect"

​He even gave the the item numbers on eBay UK if anyone is interested. Dare say there'd be something similar in the US.

Yup, I think the pump looks similar to that of many HOB's. It should be a simple modification.

My current tanks aren't big enough for a double but I plan on getting one when I set the 60L tank up as a shrimp tank, but that could be a while yet as it's still occupied by platies <files that away for future use>

• 3 weeks later...