Scuds eating shrimplets

Vicente Mcdonnell

Lost all my mischling babies to scuds. I used to only have a few but now its a horde. The tank now only has amanos ottos nerites and all male tigers. So im not expecting shrimplets anytime soon.

Whats the best way to deal with this problem?

If it's not to heavily planted any cichlid would work. I had problem with them a while back along with planaria. After I treated my tank all the shrimp were fine but the planaria and scuds were dead.

Betta fish are good hunters.

+1

I have a scud problem in my cherry tank and I usually put one of my Bettas in there when it starts to get out of hand. Scuds are stupid and my betta can usually get most, he's an over half-moon dumbo, so he moves slowly; and the shrimp are fast and can usually get away from him unscathed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding my two-penneth - in my experience bettas and shrimp haven't worked well together with the betta harassing the shrimp. That could have been because he was there first and they were introduced after. If it's the other way round might just work. Depends what your tank temp runs at as bettas need temps of 26 - 30 C.

Mine is not heavily planted. Your cichlids left the shrimp alone? I thought those fish were kinda big.

Yes most cichlids are large and they will probably all eat your remaining tigers. If you were to use any fish I would recommend the removal of your shrimp.

I forgot about that technique!

Basically remove your shrimp, and then by adding soda water, you overdose on CO2 and gas the buggers to death.  The CO2 comes off, does no harm to plants, and when the water is reoxygenated the shrimp can be added again.

I have the same problem in an empty nano tank with hc carpet. For this one i will nuke with soda water and cover with plastic wrap overnight.

Just adding my two-penneth - in my experience bettas and shrimp haven't worked well together with the betta harassing the shrimp. That could have been because he was there first and they were introduced after. If it's the other way round might just work. Depends what your tank temp runs at as bettas need temps of 26 - 30 C.

I absolutely agree. I would never put, say, one if my plakats in there as they move like lightning compared to an over half-moon (and I think he may be a feather tail too; he's just a slow, old man) who is pretty much content to sit on a tall stem plant. He likes to forage sometimes too and since that tank is heavily planted, I usually see shrimp move from one side to the other. He usually doesn't bother them, but that's just my experience, perhaps I got a mellow fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could rent fish :)

Looks like the nuke worked. I have a nano tank with a whole bunch of scud bodies floating on the top. I hope the small ones burrowed in the substrate died too.

I think for my 44 gal, ill just do a tear down and restart. The substrate is is super old anyway.