Natural Food Products

I have been really contemplating purchasing some Mulberry Leaves, Dried Banana Leaves, Guava Leaves, etc. Just not really sure the outcome. Tell me about your experiences in using some of these leaves and/or natural products and what you recommend I try out. I currently just use IAL Leaves, Alder Cones, and Cholla Wood but want to expand.

I use alder cones, banana leaves, cholla logs and guava leaves. Alder cones do turn the water brown but not unpleasantly so. Always worth checking the centres of cholla logs before putting them in the tank as I had one hollow one which was fine and one that was filled with all sorts of gubbins and stunk to high heaven and cause ammonia spikes (I think)

I've known guava leaves be eaten right back to the skeleton by my amanos and snails. In fact the snails love the cones as well which end up looking like balls of spikes by the time they've done.

Yah. I was going to add that most of the time your water wouldn't brown like it would if you were to add a piece of African driftwood. Adder cones are so small it's almost ornamental than anything else.

Thanks for the answer on the cones.   I like my water to be nice and clear  but after reading this thread  I think I will definitely get some mulberry leaves from Han  when I order my stainless steel prefilter.      And Soothing, Country boy has a great suggestion!  Plant your own mulberry bush!  and the best part, you can use your tank water to fertilize them.   I just read about them and it says the only fert they need are nitrates hehe.   Simpatico!

Are we simply talking about the mulberry tree leaf that is considered a trash tree in mid-Atlantic? Christ I have them everywhere - hate them - is that the tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it. There's a few different species of mulberry. From what I understand they are all ok for shrimp. If you want to do a RAOK I'd be more than happy to pay for the shipping. :)

Thank you all for your input. I usually soak my IAL, Alder Cones, and Cholla Wood for 2-3 days before introducing to my aquariums. This is just to avoid the tannins. I am very interested in trying the Mulberry and any other natural products that are primarily a food source for shrimp appose to a supplement.

Crap - used to have three in back yard.... I will talk to my arborist (I'm a facilities director) and have him point out a couple a work. How many would would you expect in a typical order? I am def not going to charge those on this forum - you all have been incredibly nice to me. I just am not sure how many to pack or to just jam the packing envelope full. Somebody respond if you wish. I will need to get outside soon as we are going to get pretty chilly her over the weekend.

FYI - at this moment - the offer is only for the US. And of course my ability to find a stash. But know we have them all over the place in Baltimore. I will do my best

How many leaves would you be looking for. The disclaimer is buyer beware. I will pull from mulberry trees on my property or others that I am in charge of. To my knowledge nothing has ever been sprayed. I still do not know if these are the leaves that have been discussed. PM me with your address - like I implied - I am going to pull from tree and send so it is up to the receiver to preform any prep work they may want to do! Sound fair? Remember I am the newb here so if it's not what you had in mind at least the price is right.

Thank you all for your input. I usually soak my IAL, Alder Cones, and Cholla Wood for 2-3 days before introducing to my aquariums. This is just to avoid the tannins. I am very interested in trying the Mulberry and any other natural products that are primarily a food source for shrimp appose to a supplement.

while the tannis color isnt really desired by some, the tannis itself is very beneficial to the shrimp.