KATI & ANI unit. experiance.

Does eany of you guys have experiance with the KATI & ANI units.?

Now i use the 3 stage RO unit it's an OK unit for a Low price but the % of waste water is pretty high. And i know i can get cleaner water with an RO/DI unit but the waste water % is still quiet high compared to the KATI & ANI units. Witch has no waste water at all.

In your own experience with the KATI & ANI units what are the pros and cons compared to the RO & RO/DI.

Info on KATI & ANI unit: http://www.thefilterguys.biz/kati_ani_di-onizer.htm

Any mechanism that gets me < 10ppm from tap is good for me, it comes down to the ease of use and cost. Will this thing be cheaper than RO systems or it produces cleaner water than the regular RO systems?

So far with the info i have found the KATI & ANI units. there is no waste water at all and should give 0ms/0ppm reading until it needs regeneration witch so far is the only downside i can find. The regeneration process is done with(31% Hrdrochloric Acid) and (Sodium Hydroxide) not a big fan of Chemicals..

I have found a 2 liter unit on eBay for around 25$ they come frome 1 liter units to 10 liter units. All depending on the need..

Kati and Ani are just DI resin. It's Cation and Anion resins are in separate containers -vs- a mixed bed DI that you normally use on your RO. Normally a mixed bed DI will outperform separate single bed units. The advantage of using 2 single beds is that they can be regenerated. Also, If your process would exhaust one Resin faster than the other they can be replaced individually. Or, if your process only requires one Resin and not the other.

If you live in a hard water area you will exhaust these units shockingly fast. They are usually rated in Grains per Gallon (GPG). Find out your Tap water GPG and do the math before you buy.

Regeneration uses very strong chemicals and is not something a novice would normally attempt. It can be done but you'll need to learn how to neutralize and dispose of the waste chemicals.

These units have been available for Decades. They have never gained a large market because an RO/DI combo is more practical.

As far as RO waste, try to think of it not as waste but water that is flushing away the stuff you don't want in your water. It keeps your RO membrane from clogging immediately. It's not really waste it serves a purpose.

Hope this helps

I watering my back yard with waste water, so it's not waste at all.

I even use some waste water for my fish tank. then goes to back yard. recycled twice! :)

31% hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide sound dangerous to be stored and handled.

By the way, does anyone know if the RO waste water contains chlorine if the tap water does? I want to use it for my fish tanks too but don't know if it needs to be treated.

Storing this stuff is no big deal, just store it in the the container it ships in. We use this stuff all the tome at work and it's just stacked on pallets in the shop.

Unsure about the chlorine but, it's just a simple test to determine it's present on not.

Sodium hydroxide is what I use to make soap (lye)... But it's also your drain cleaner that lives under your sink and you don't think much about. In fact, my favorite source of lye was a powdered drain cleaner that was 100% sodium hydroxide powder... Super simple. (They've mostly taken it off the shelves due to meth making possibilities... thanks meth heads. >:-( )

All the same, that chemical regeneration does sound like a lot of work, and I'm big on storing my waste water to use for plants or other non sensitive water uses.

31% hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide sound dangerous to be stored and handled.

By the way, does anyone know if the RO waste water contains chlorine if the tap water does? I want to use it for my fish tanks too but don't know if it needs to be treated.

The chlorine should be absorbed by your carbon filter so there should be no chlorine in you waste water.