fire red mystery death

Found another dead onem.. spoke too soon.. took some pics of a dead one. This one had a slight crack between the head and the body when i fished it out... the gh of the tank is at 4... should i increase it? hope some shrimp experts can lend a hand so i could fix the prob. Thanks a bunch

post-473-14162833973_thumb.jpg

post-473-141628346869_thumb.jpg

post-473-141628353457_thumb.jpg

My neo tanks are run at around 250 TDS using RO water and remineralizer which gives a GH of around 9. I was advised by a shrimp breeder to keep it at 7+ for healthy moulting.

Pico has good eyes. LOL  Detrius worms, are a great help to clean up. :)

usually also a sign of multiple leftovers. the worms do not die even if you feed nothing for 2 months. i did a little experiment with a little nano tank. i added a few plants and there is no substrate and tank was left alone with a hang on filter. water wasn't changed for 2 months and those little worms will not even die haha. they can just feed off any detritus that is bound to happen in any tank. so if there are just a few to begin with even for a new tank, it will naturally reproduce to quite a big amount. im not too sure about their life span though but yea they just look damn irritating (wriggling around haha)

Pinworms are also cute. Also nonpathogenic (having them typically does not affect the host negatively). They still get exterminated - I work at a location that is parasite central, okay, I am a freak about deworming my own animals. Worms do not get to live in my housr.

thats interesting... i will try increasing the GH to 9... thanks :)

Don't increase the GH to 9 immediately. That shock might kill more. 

Stop doing water changes because in most cases, it makes shrimp molt.

Increase GH slowly. Maybe increase by 1 a day.

No point of removing worms. They'll just come back. It's literally impossible. It will always be there.

yeah i plan to reduce the frequency of water changes... looks like i have been crazy with the water changes maybe once every 5 days... i might tone it back to maybe once every 2 weeks or once a month to be safe.... gh i plan to gradually increase it by 1dh every 4 days...

soothing all seem fine... its just that i get these mystery deaths once every few days... from the looks of this one... what could possibly cause it to turn purple in some spots? old? age? molting problem? too many shrimplets stresssing them up... im tempted to do a water change but i might consider holding off till next week...

I forget, do you use co2 or ferts in your tank?

IMO, water changes too often may stop them from breeding, however it won't kill them provided you keep parameters correct  You'll receive different answers from different folks, and that's what makes shrimping interesting.

When I kept my cherries too low in gh, I found dying off, but when I raised it to 6+ they did well.

Purple can be caused by too much co2, old age, blue tissue under the shell, astaxanthin, death, and a variety of other issues.  Unless a majority of your shrimp were turning purplish, I wouldn't consider that a symptom.

As an emergency measure, have you considered adding a cup of ammocarb inside a tied off stocking and placing it behind your bubbler?

as for the water changes... i test the water before changing it... making sure that the parameters are as close as possible... but the funny thing is that this only affects my painted fire reds... i dunno if i got a bad batch... but my rilis and blue pearls are thriving...

Ammocarb is good for trapping ammonia and nitrates from DOA before you can find them and get them out.

My other thought is that the painted reds have been bred and thriving in different params before coming to you.  Perhaps you should write the breeder and ask their params?

soothing... its just funny i moved some of my fire reds to my rili tank... and guess what 2 of them got berried and some of them are thriving... guess for some weird reason i cant explain but i guess they must have hated that 5 gal tank they are in... so i guess i might just slowly move over some of my fire reds into my red rili tank... hoping that if they cross breed they would help improve the red in the rilis... i forgot where i red it from but some breeders actually X bred PFRS X Red rilis to come up with deeper red caps and red tails in rilis... results were 80% rili and 15% sakura type cherries and 5% PFRS and 5% wild types... guess would need to convert that 5 gal tank of death to a CULLING Tank instead... lol.. :)