Traditional Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria vs Advance Probiotics

Shrimpy Daddy

Firstly, I would like to apologise for not posting for a few weeks. I was totally tied up with work, traveling and I am working very hard on migrating my blog to a paid software.

Finally today I have some time and, I started a controlled test on traditional nitrogen-fixing bacteria starter culture vs the advance probiotics starter culture. In this test I will be using my favourite nitrogen-fixing bacteria starter culture, which I used in the past, to versus my probiotic blend, which is Revive Vita.

Please visit my blog for more information: http://www.shrimpyda...acteria-vs.html

DSCF4257-FIXED.jpg

I will be posting update everyday until one of them has zero ammonium and zero NO2. Hence, please stay tune. ^^

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

This will be interesting to follow. One question however you re fence a blue disk but I see yellow in the right, brown green in the middle and nothing on the right. Is the coloring of the disks being alterd by the camera.

This will be interesting to follow. One question however you re fence a blue disk but I see yellow in the right, brown green in the middle and nothing on the right. Is the coloring of the disks being alterd by the camera.

Yes, the lighting causes the colour to be different from actual. It is easier to see anything that is not yellow, NH3/NH4+ is present. :)

In the test tomorrow, I will try to position my desk lamp farther and place the colour chart strip in between the two rows for comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

As you know, the first test failed because of the coarse sponge filter media is taking too long for the bacteria to colonise. Hence, I went back to drawing board and re-design this test.

I had bought all the new materials and restarted the test on Monday night. For more details of this new test, please refer to my blog at: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/11/traditional-nitrogen-fixing-bacteria-vs_19.html

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

Hello everyone!!!

Hope you have a good weekend. I obtained a piece of interesting data today from this test. For more information, please refer to here: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/11/traditional-nitrogen-fixing-bacteria-vs_23.html

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

Good day, everyone!!!

I had made some interesting discovery on the ammonium-fixing bacteria and I started performing the second phase of the experiment. For more information, please refer to my blog: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/11/traditional-nitrogen-fixing-bacteria-vs_29.html

Cheers.

Shrimpy Daddy

As someone that is always late to the party and not always quick on the uptake :) this seems to be a huge break through. If in fact the Revive Vita does consume nitrate as well as converting ammonia and nitrite this is a serious game changer for all aquatic keepers?? 

Based on my friend's and my experience, it does consume a lot of nitrate and other nitrogen compound. The good side is that it will remove the nuisance nitrate for shrimp keeper. The bad side is that it will cause plants to be hungry for nitrogen compound.

Currently, my dog is having kidney failing due to old age, and his blood is accumulating a lot of urea. I am feeding him high dosage of probiotics (designed for him, not the shrimp one) and hoping it could neutralise the urea; provided it is not too late to do this. If this works, it will be a big breakthrough for veterinary practice. :)

Well in a tank with just a few mosses i would think they would probably get enough nitrogen prior to consumption, possibly slowing the growth but out competing the algae. It will eliminate the possible need of floaters and allow top offs and less frequent water changes thereby lessening the chances of parameter swings due to said water changes. 

Yup. I tested that too. It was recorded in my blog. That time I tested two stalks of narrow leaf Java fern.

The compound that the probiotic created are able to be absorb by plants. However, it is still not enough for 20% plant mass or tanks that has Purigen. As such, I'm dosing additional 1 to 2ppm of NO3 daily to my low light partial planted tank. :)

Yes, you do not need floater anymore. Floater will out compete trace nutrients with the shrimps.

When we combined the Revive Vita with Purigen, the water is crystal clear and NO3 never go above 1ppm (unless we dose ourselves). There is only one thing that people may not like. Although Revive Vita does not create thick biofilm that that to scrap every week, it forms clear biofilm on water surface. This will block some light from plants. However, It can be removed easily when changing water. In addition, the shrimp loves to swim up and eat it. Sump tank user will have to be careful and make sure the overflow is covered with sponge.