PH meter for dummies

I got tired of trying to deciper the colors on my ph test kit so I ordered a PH meter.  When I read the instructions it talks about calibrating it so I got on google .   I have this exact meter   

However,  it did not come with the calibration power shown in the utube video.   The calibration power  is 4.0 and 6.8.    

Here is my question.      In the video it does say you can order premade solution so I got on amazon.  The only solutions I am seeing are 4.1 and 7.0.       Is that close enough?  Can I order those two solutions  and still calibrate my PH meter?    

Here is a link for the solution.   http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-4-01-Calibration-Solution/dp/B004HE7W42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415642109&sr=8-2&keywords=calibration+solution

I think I have this one Jay    http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-PHTester-PH-107-Calibration-Included/dp/B005KGKCRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415744485&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+meter+ph+-009

But it did not come with the calibration powder as stated in the description.     

• 2 months later...

I have few of the cheap pocket PH pens. They work pretty good as long as you change the batteries when they get low. Otherwise it will give you false reading.a. I store mine in a 7.0 calibration solution which you can buy on ebay cheap.

Look at what he says at the 30 second mark.  That is what's confusing me.  "Keep it dry before recapping..."

My pinpoint needs to be kept wet at all times.

Bryce, for storage always keep in KCl solution.

You can find all the answers regarding pH meter and probe here:

http://www.all-about-ph.com/

I'll remember that if I'm storing it again.  Right now I have it continuously monitoring my crs/tb tank.

You need to 1. clean 2. restore 3. calibrate every couple months.

You'd think so, but I just checked the ph on some known drinking water, and it's still fine after a year.

No, you need reference solutions ( for freshwater, 4.0/7.0 for saltwater 7.0/10.0) to check the reading.

After 2 to 3 months of usage, it can easily have 0.5 reading errors.

and if you didn't do restore, the reading would because slower and slower over time.

If you have couple pH monitors, it would easy to show you different readings.

No, you need reference solutions ( for freshwater, 4.0/7.0 for saltwater 7.0/10.0) to check the reading.

After 2 to 3 months of usage, it can easily have 0.5 reading errors.

and if you didn't do restore, the reading would because slower and slower over time.

If you have couple pH monitors, it would easy to show you different readings.

Why would I need reference solutions?  If the back of the drinking water labels ph, and my meter matches up, then why would I need to recalibrate?

It may be fairly accurate in a small range while completely off in another. PH meters (at least the ones I've used in school) need to be calibrated at multiple points. Also, I'm not sure how confident I would be with water bottle labels lol.

Why would I need reference solutions?  If the back of the drinking water labels ph, and my meter matches up, then why would I need to recalibrate?

In short, reference solution has buffering capability. It locks the pH in narrow range.

drinking water's pH is not stable. it could swing big just by exposed to air (CO2).