Shrimp Room Design

DETAquarium

Hey ShrimpSpot,

I need your help. Within the next year to year and a half I maybe moving about 5 miles from my current residence. We will be constructing our house and I got the OK! to have a shrimp room. This is where you come into play, if you were designing your very own shrimp room what features, gadgets, must-haves would you incorporate into the build? 

Examples: Sink with built in RODI system. Outlets with built in timers.Hardwood or tile flooring to make for easy clean-up.

Remember this is residential not commercial. I always like to think of resale. So we cannot go to far off the cuff. Meaning if I were to resell our constructed house years down the road, this room would need to double as say an office, or play room, etc.

Thank you all!

Would the room have a cement pad under the floor?

dont bother with any flooring if its cement. save the $ for when you move out and finish the flooring.

beyond what you said about a sing with RO, maybe some nice windows for cool air, or its own AC for summer time.

Definitely like the idea of its own AC, or something along those lines.

Ah! That would be nice. It lays on top of the cement but below the hard wood/tile?

What I was asking is the floor sitting on the cement foundation or do you have a basement underneath.  If it is sitting on a cement foundation you may just want to not put any flooring down or just epoxy it.  When you go to sell later you can add normal flooring in.  

I would also make a hole in the exterior wall so you can drain water directly outside like aquariumlover10 mentioned.  You can cap the pipes to prevent hot or cold air from escaping or entering.

What I was asking is the floor sitting on the cement foundation or do you have a basement underneath.  If it is sitting on a cement foundation you may just want to not put any flooring down or just epoxy it.  When you go to sell later you can add normal flooring in.  

I would also make a hole in the exterior wall so you can drain water directly outside like aquariumlover10 mentioned.  You can cap the pipes to prevent hot or cold air from escaping or entering.

Ah ok. It will be on a cement foundation, no basement. Probably go with hardwood since tile gets quite cool in the winter. Unless I got heated tile flooring. I definitely agree with either a hole or window leading outdoor for sure.

One of my favorite set ups.

Mayphly, that looks incredible, I need to get in contact with whoever that is haha.

If you have tanks you will end up with water on the floor which may cause problems with wood floors.  Additionally depending on what shelving you use you may have a lot of weight on little legs which may leave indentations on your wood.

If you have tanks you will end up with water on the floor which may cause problems with wood floors.  Additionally depending on what shelving you use you may have a lot of weight on little legs which may leave indentations on your wood.

Very true. Do you think Tile would be best?

Tile will crack under heavy weight...also can scratch/chip. Standing water will also eventually take your grout out. Wood will warp/split. Best bet is to keep it cement subfloor until such time as you are ready to sell. Window ac is good as is either a vent like in bathrooms or at least a dehumidifier. One thing people often overlook when building a fish/shrimp room is a work area/surface. 

Flooring seems to be my tough decision. I guess the census would be cement though, not sure how appealing that would be, but it seems to be the best bet.

You can get colored cement... Dont know what your budget is... I worked in a shop one time that had colored cement floors, they were polished to where it looked like marble or something and the shop owner would throw a fit if ya spilled coolant or chips on the floor lol

You can get cement paint too.  Look in the garage section of your hardware store. 

Don't try to save a buck like our theatre did though.  You need to prepare the cement first.  We just went for the paint without preparing it and the paint would flake up.  Bad idea.

When done right, it is epoxy and will withstand some amazingly harsh conditions.

You can always put some rugs down too if you want to soften the space some, you just want something that you can move if it gets wet

I think rugs maybe the best bet. Maybe a the Shrimp Tank/Shrimp Spot Rug!

Hahahaha..... maybe I will make the house look like a giant shrimp tank.