Noooo my worst fears realized. deaths.

Jadenlea

Had to go back to work for a couple hours and just got home.  The mischlings are looking better than they have since saturday in that they are swimming around and out crawling on plants.   Last night  they were almost all hiding.  No more deaths while I was gone.   I feel hopeful.  

Poor Vlad the vampire shrimp.   I also pulled out the sponge filter to squeeze  to make sure it wasn't to clogged.  Vlad has been living on that filter since the day I got him.  I have never seen him anywhere in the tank other than the sponge filter.   Now he is cowering under a piece of cholla.    Poor poor Vlad.  I hope he finds his way back to his filter home.  

Thanks again everyone for the support. I will keep you posted tomorrow  on if we can have a death free day tomorrow.  

None dead this am, but the real test will be when I get home from work.  

Vlad found his way back to his sponge filter during the night.   :)

Pssttt  (whispers)  Soothing, Im a girl   :) 

Soothing... Awww shucks.  (blush)  hehe

Home from work. I see no bodies!    Debating with myself about if I should do another 2 gal water change. I think I have decided to just do it.    The distilled water worked well yesterday so I picked up 2 more gallons.   I always swore I'd never get so deep into shrimp that I was paying for *WATER*     My family is looking at me like I am nuts.  Buying water and setting it near the woodstove to warm it to room temp.   (cold out here in new hampshire) 

Off to eat some lunch and watch Dr Phil, then do the water change.  

Interesting. I just noticed that my 2 water changes with distilled water dropped my PH  from 7 to 6.8.    

20 gallon tank.   Yesterday I changed out  2 gal,   today  1 gal. 

The mischlings should like that right?   Everyone seems very happy and active tonight.  

zomg  damn shrimps.. right after I posted the last post I looked in the tank and saw a shrimp laying on its back..  nooooooooooooooooooo...  I reached for the net to give it a poke, but before I did.. I see.. its laying UNDER a mulberry leave   eating away!  It wasn't dead, just eating.

(wipes sweat)

Ugh Countryboy.. Im so sorry.   Are you trying the daily changes?   You should try soothings water reset at this point.   I had a bacterial infection in a blue pearl tank a couple years ago that eventually wiped them all out .  I never tried her tank reset though.. Had never heard of it!

Update.  I had no deaths for the rest of the week doing small water changes each day and refilling with distilled water.   Yesterday I skipped a water change and found a dead very small juvie this morning.

I feel like my nitrates are still higher than they should be after all those water changes.  the API test kit is still testing firmly orange.  

I feel there has to be something in the tank causing the nitrates and there are only 2 possibilities I can think of.. My very large 3 year oldish apple snail.    I know they are huge  waste creators but it is a 20 gallon tank.   

The other possibility that I am really leaning toward is the piece of wood in the tank covered in moss.      It is also years old and the debris that shakes out when I shake up the moss is enough to make the tank look terrible.   Also  I know we have discussed debris collecting around it but the thing just looks like it is desintegrating before my eyes.    

I fear taking it out and stirring up a ton of grossness and gas into the tank  but I am soooo close to doing so  and just changing it out for multiple pieces of cholla wood covered in moss. 

the good news is that the ph has dropped from 7 to about 6.6 which I guess is much better for the mischlings and I accidently won the auction for the blue bolt last week so that will be coming at the end of the week this week 

I bid because I couldn't resist the gamble thinking there would be no way I would win and I won.  Oops.   :)    Still exicited to have her coming.  

This string should have been a journal!!

PS also going to order a new nitrate test kit  just to make sure this one is accurate, though I did test it with tap water and it came back 0 so I think it is ok. 

Oh no :(   So discouraged.. Today I got home and there are dead shrimp all over the place. most of them are in or around the wood/moss.   Preparing to take it all out but  I think I have lost a huge majority of my shrimp :(