Most expensive shrimps currently

Soothing Shrimp

So this is always a fun discussion.  Every few years the list changes, however what are the most expensive shrimp offered to the fw hobby currently?

Once could always say the most expensive is whatever is new. heh  But currently what is the most expensive?

I know some PRL are very expensive right now, and some pintos.  Anyone else like to chime in?

I think PRL CAN get expensive, like really expensive. Pinto are also expensive but I don't think they're ridiculously expensive like some PRL.

Pintos should average out to being 100-150, whereas JPRL can be in the upper hundreds to thousands.

In the case of stable gene and good breed (colouration, pattern, body shape and body size). The most expensive PRL is priced between USD600 to 1,000 each. The most expensive Pinto, which is the skunk-pattern Pinto, can be up to USD2,000+ each. The second most expensive Pinto will be the spotted head that has more spots (8 or more). This will cost USD800 to USD,1500 each. All these are retail pricing. Usually, it is much cheaper if you are getting in batch/wholesale.

The ironic part about the PRL is that the most expensive ones, when most people look at it and will not buy it. What most people perceived about PRL are generally wrong; all blame on those advertisements placed on web and Facebook. Most people thought PRL should have pure white and or perfectly solid colour on their legs. However, it is not the case. PRL (Pure Red Line) is supposed to be Red Bee Shrimp of pure bloodline and does not cross-breed with anything else. In order to make the white whiter (real PRL is ivory), red deeper (deep but not as deep as Wine Red) or legs have more colour (should be just red and not white; white can be a little at the top but not the rest of the segment), breeder cross breed them with other type of the shrimps. It is very hard to tell from photos (especially 99.999% on the web or FB are photoshop'ed). Even expert has to look at it physically.

As such, I will suggest people who are keen on PRL to be careful on what you choose and what you pay. Or else, you may get a bunch of funny looking offspring. Also, when someone claims that the shrimps are from which big company. You will have to be wary. Usually for me, I will just walk away from those. ;)

I see PRL being sold, and none of them have price tags like that. What makes some prl worth 1000 and other prl worth 100 ? Are you just being lied to?

It's not that we're lied to. It's that you won't find folks in NA buying $1000 shrimps. No demand, no supply.

It's rare to even see LFS carry shrimps. In Asia it's common for folks to walk in and out with hundreds (USD) worth of shrimps.

Folks in NA want those $1000 shrimps at $10 price range.

In the case of stable gene and good breed (colouration, pattern, body shape and body size). The most expensive PRL is priced between USD600 to 1,000 each. The most expensive Pinto, which is the skunk-pattern Pinto, can be up to USD2,000+ each. The second most expensive Pinto will be the spotted head that has more spots (8 or more). This will cost USD800 to USD,1500 each. All these are retail pricing. Usually, it is much cheaper if you are getting in batch/wholesale.

The ironic part about the PRL is that the most expensive ones, when most people look at it and will not buy it. What most people perceived about PRL are generally wrong; all blame on those advertisements placed on web and Facebook. Most people thought PRL should have pure white and or perfectly solid colour on their legs. However, it is not the case. PRL (Pure Red Line) is supposed to be Red Bee Shrimp of pure bloodline and does not cross-breed with anything else. In order to make the white whiter (real PRL is ivory), red deeper (deep but not as deep as Wine Red) or legs have more colour (should be just red and not white; white can be a little at the top but not the rest of the segment), breeder cross breed them with other type of the shrimps. It is very hard to tell from photos (especially 99.999% on the web or FB are photoshop'ed). Even expert has to look at it physically.

As such, I will suggest people who are keen on PRL to be careful on what you choose and what you pay. Or else, you may get a bunch of funny looking offspring. Also, when someone claims that the shrimps are from which big company. You will have to be wary. Usually for me, I will just walk away from those. ;)

There are different standards for PRL's and you can't really say one is more correct than the others. Of course there is the traditional JPRL that you are referring to, but everything progresses (direction depends on personal opinion) and it's a fact that some people appreciate newer trends, for example, white legs. Also, from what I know, there is no way to differentiate a PRL from a cross bred CRS. Care to share any info on this?

I would vote that pintos are the most expensive. PRL's can get expensive but very few people are willing to actually pay for them. Pintos, especially red ones and those with more spots (tiny spots on the head AND the body, named galaxy), are fetching very high prices. And the few purple king kongs that become available are very expensive as well.

I see PRL being sold, and none of them have price tags like that. What makes some prl worth 1000 and other prl worth 100 ? Are you just being lied to?

Don't have the link and not even sure if that is still the case but it used to be that the highest prices are paid on the Japanese auction site(s)

In short, you are paying for good genes.

PRL are no different than other purebred animals that have been selectively line bred over many generations.

While some people who pay the $$$ for a great looking PRL just want a great looking shrimp or maybe as a status symbol there are others who are willing to pay the money for the "good genes" for their breeding programme or project.

In North America, for JPRL you don't really get high quality looking JPRL that you might see in photos until you get into S-grade ($150-200) range or higher.. Anything below that are essentially culls.

If you are into breeding your line (like I am) starting with higher quantity breeders will save you lots of time and effort.

JPRL / PRL sell for that amount because there are people out there who are willing to pay for it and it doesn't come cheap.

I had someone request some PRL from me last week; they said they wanted solid white and red colour and solid red legs and was willing to spend up to $8 per shrimp. I laughed it off and told them for something like that he would be looking at least $100 a shrimp!

I always tell ppl for PRL always get a photos of the shrimps you are getting and if you feel it is worth it, go for it.

I see PRL being sold, and none of them have price tags like that.  What makes  some prl worth 1000 and other prl worth 100 ?   Are you just being lied to?

I can show you some top quality $$$$ PRL, you can tell if they are the same quality as the shrimp with lower price tag.

post-231-0-22677500-1415923450_thumb.jpg

I can show you some top quality $$$$ PRL, you can tell if they are the same quality as the shrimp with lower price tag.

attachicon.gif02563201pa9wn4a0nwrj04.jpg

James added 4x $$$$ signs. It's no joke. You're selling your kids toys if you want to afford that shrimp. [emoji3]