Hello from WA state

Crazyfishlady

Hello, I am just getting started with shrimp keeping and I'm nervous and excited.  I keep mostly bettas and know the value of a great forum so I found this one.

I have 4 tanks. 3 are betta/nerite snail only tanks (2 males and one female each in their own tank)

My 4th tank is relatively new (cycled) and is a temperate tank. I started out with golden white cloud mountain minnows and LOVE them, but then I saw the shrimp and a LFS (although it's not a run of the mill LFS it's more specialized). 

After being PROMISED that the shrimp would actually do well in the cooler water, I now have 4 blue velvet shrimp and 2 yellow sakuras. 

I have been scouring the internet, watching youtube like a favorite tv channel obession, trying to learn how to take care of my new kiddos.

I haven't pin pointed the type of shrimp I have, other than the name that was written on the bag they came home in.

They are in a 20high tank with all real plants (Val, Anubis, java moss, flame moss, peacock moss, dwarf hair grass, myrio and who knows what else, lol). There is also driftwood and seiryu rock.

Substrate is Floramax

So, just saying hello... hoping to learn and keep my little ones happy and healthy!

post-507-0-51979000-1416280953_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-96811700-1416280953_thumb.jpg

Welcome!  Both BV and yellows are Neo Davidi and will breed together if you have them in the same aquarium.  Nothing wrong with that if you are experimenting, however if yu want a nice line of one color you may want to separate them.  All depends on your goals.

Again, welcome here!

Thank you and THANK YOU! I very specifically asked if the two would inter breed and was told they would not. Sigh... well I have been wanting to set up a shrimp only tank guess I will be doing that sooner than I had planned.

I appreciate the info! :)

Fish stores, even if trying to keep up with the latest knowledge, will often not be knowledgeable about shrimp.  That's not their main business, and it;s almost impossible to know about every variety of animal they have.

The good news is that even if your shrimp become berried by the other color, they are not like guppies and hold sperm.  Once they release the babies they have to be mated again to be berried.  So there's no ruining your line once they are able to be mated with again.

Ok good. They had blue tigers there too but I wanted to stop and learn more about the ones I had before I went too crazy. :) I have a ten gallon I was planning on making a shrimp only tank but got a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out the basics. Some of the youtube how to's made it look soooo complicated and others said 'here's the basic, they are hardy and will be fine' so much info ... lol

They are doing great in my tank but it is big and crammed full of plants, rocks and wood for the fish. I see them booking around all the time but would like a set up where I can see them more

Thank you everyone and good to know I can put tigers with what I have and they won't inter breed. I need hardier beginner shrimp to start out with. I am loving them though! 

I'm working about 11+ hours a day right now so I am researching when I can and hope to have a shrimp only paradise by the new year!

One question (maybe I should post elsewhere??) but substrate seems a big debate. I have read "must do sand" or "it doesn't matter" and then there are mineral rocks.. etc. Is there a good 'shrimp for beginners' page so I don't drive everyone crazy? :)

Welcome to the forum! I currently use Fluval Stratum substrate, but I know a lot of other people use ADA, although it leeches quite a bit of ammonia upon set-up. I'm not sure if there is a beginners shrimp page, but I'm sure there's one pinned somewhere on this forum. =P

For my Neos, I just put the substrate in, dosed some of Dr. Tim's One and Only Bacterial Supplement (to help kickstart the biological filtration), ran the filter for a day, and then filled the tank up with plants. I did 25%-50% water changes every few days while continually testing the water, and it was cycled within 4 weeks and ready for shrimp. Make sure you use RO water as that is safest for shrimp. You will need a remineralizer to add necessary minerals that the shrimp need. I currently use Salty Shrimp GH+, which you can get from any of our sponsors here, I'm sure. If you're looking to see more shrimp, I would stick to a more basic set-up: driftwood, mosses, ferns, etc. I'm not as knowledgeable as many of the people here, but I got a few basics down. Let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be happy to help. =)

Good rule of thumb for ya:

Neos- inert substrate

Cards- ph reducing substrate

Rules can be broken, of course, but this is a good understanding for both.

For my neos, I just use black sandblasting sand from Menards.  $8 for 50lbs.  Nothing special.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...