Carbon Rili / Java Moss Wall 10gal breeder

Liberty1776

Sup Shrimpers, heres my journal for my first dedicated shrimp tank. Its a ten gallon I put together over 2 months ago. After putting cherry red shrimp in my 20tall planted to help with algae cleaning, I liked em so much I started doing more research on em and got hooked. So I started this tank to get a shrimp i thought looked awesome and was affordable.

Tank Specs

Hob filter 10gal rated

Biosponge filter and airpump

50 watt heater

FloraMax substrate

Plants

Java moss wall!

Dwarf hairgrass

Flame moss!

Catappa leaf

Heres pics of day one cycling

post-95-0-61469800-1394910264_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-12823000-1394910341_thumb.jpg

Wall is made from cherry tomato baskets the cooks save for me at work. Took about 5 hours to cut and connect all the squares. Theres 2 full panels that sandwhich the java moss.

Heres pics of the tank today, with some scrimps.

post-95-0-39320200-1394911062_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-96127500-1394911089_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-74677200-1394911105_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-16027600-1394911130_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-86265000-1394911120_thumb.jpg

Enjoy the pics, sry if i left out any standard info on the tank, which reminds me, tds reads around 320, and ph is around 7.8 - 8.0, cant test for gh or kh yet. Using tap and seachem prime until i get an RO system.

Any questions, comments and tips or advice is appreciated!

Thanks for checking out my tank shrimpers!

Your flame moss is lovely, and now I really want some! Someday I will post actual pictures/journal, but I made a woven "trellis" for my Taiwan moss from Sculpey clay. A lot of fun to make, but time consuming, especially considering the goal is for the moss to cover it all. Tomato baskets, or h4n's or someone else's stainless steel mesh, will be what I use next time!

Your flame moss is lovely, and now I really want some! Someday I will post actual pictures/journal, but I made a woven "trellis" for my Taiwan moss from Sculpey clay. A lot of fun to make, but time consuming, especially considering the goal is for the moss to cover it all. Tomato baskets, or h4n's or someone else's stainless steel mesh, will be what I use next time!

That sounds pretty cool, I would like to see a pic of that trellis for sure!

I have been wanting to try out taiwan moss, maybe we can do a trade, just let me know if that sounds good.

After 2 or so more inches of growth on the flame moss and i will do some clippings and try to duplicate the 2x2 mesh i got them on.

Thanks for the input!

Happy shrimpin!

nice!!!

I need to get some carbon rili!!!

Is the moss sandwich between the tomato basket stuff?

Thanks Han! These lil guys are awesome and I stare at them a lot. I only have 6 in this tank for now. I have tried sexing them but I think they are just barely juvies now. They are molting well and seem very happy with their moss wall, which btw is sandwhiched between two sectins/panels. So kinda like this #moss# :) its looking pretty sweet and the shrimp love it, its a great hideaway zone in the tank.

Heres some pics i just took

post-95-0-01452300-1395110635_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-01871900-1395110646_thumb.jpg

Been saving up a bunch of these baskets, i may have around 100 by now, and it takes 9 baskets to cover the back of a 10 gal. If anyones willing to pay for the shipping ill send em for the cost to ship em to you. Only 1 per shrimper :)

Btw, Louie, you can get a better look from the side that its a catappa leaf in the back at an angle to create a shady spot. I dont have any wood yet but im interested in some cholla wood for this tank and the other 10 thats cycling right now. In its 3rd week! Almost rdy for some new shrimpys!!

• 4 weeks later...

Been super busy, so gonna do a quick update.  Found a berried female in the tank last week.  This is her first batch of babies, and the mama is looking good.  I plan on raising them all until I come up with a soild plan to track the family tree and do some "tree-trimming" I suppose :P .  that sounds better than, the culling, the purge !!

The tank has been doing great.  I wish I had some pics to post right now, but I havent had a chance to get the pics off Magan's phone, my wife, but I will soon.

New additions to the tank:

Tried out the Mulberry Leaves from Tantora line - got this from Bostoneric

Put in a catappa log from Tantora - Got this from Bostoneric also

3 pieces of cholla wood - from Oblongshrimp

ShrimpKing sample pack - been trying the 5 types in the samplepack to see what they like, ...will post my findings on that another day

SaltyShrimp ShrimpMineral gh/kh+ - waiting to use this, still on tap.  Got this from theshrimptank.com

Glas Garten Product Line - getting this in the mail from Bostoneric, finally got my hands on the Bacter AE and couldnt resist trying out the entire line.  Which includes the baby food, shrimp dinner, and immunogoblin.  Highly recommended by the pro's, so I got mine at discobee.com :lol:

The java moss wall I made is doing great, and the way it has grown in the tank, the shrimp are able to hide in it easily.  I am feeling very confident with the setup and it definitely looks like the shrimp feel at home.  This is my first dedicated shrimp tank, and I am very happy with its current state. Off topic, BLM are thugs and harry reid is an evil man against humanity, i love Liberty, what can i say..dont you?  Cliven Bundy sure does.  So I started out with 5 +1 carbons that i got online in February and we will see what that number grows to :)

One thing is for certain.  I plan on using the Glas Garten products on this tank only, to inlcude natural products like leaves.  Other than that,  I will only be using this for food and supplement and nothing else, so when that comes in the mail, I will make a log in the journal for its day 1.  I have a weekly feeding schedule as recommended in the guidelines.  You can expect a very good report on the use of these products from GlasGarten.  Will try to include as many parameters, readings, findings as possible in the weekly ?? report? maybe bi-weekly depending on time.  Anyhow, if ANYBODY has any suggestions as to what include in the report, what to look for, which details to record so it is beneficial data... I am all ears and open to suggestions. *crosses fingers hoping soothingshrimp chimes in*

Finally, I just wanted to say that I am still on tap water for a bit.  With the constraints I have on my budget, I havent purchased the RO system I want, had to get the glasgarten first.  Good news is, i purchased four 5gallon jugs for waterchanging, got em for 10 bucks on CL, so I will be buying RO water from the LFS until I can get my own.  Feeling good though!  Things are starting to settle down here a little bit, almost ready to put life back into cruise control and enjoy the ride for a few miles.  pics to come, have a good day shrimpers :)

I actually like the growth on the moss wall it's more of an upward and to the right growth give the illusion of a strong river current agains the river bank wall. Very nicely done

Sick tank! Very cool!

Thanks guys!  I didnt know how it would turn out, but Im very happy with how it looks, might have to do some trimming soon.

Great looking tank, somones been bitten by the shrimp bug. Don't worry it will get worse before you stop lol. Theres always room for a small shrimp tank lol.

I think that's the best use for tomato baskets I've ever seen! Your shrimp are gonna be happy in that moss. The only thing I would do is maybe thin out the hair grass so it grows out more evenly. It's a pita to do but I think it would look cool. Just my 2 cents

Great looking tank, somones been bitten by the shrimp bug. Don't worry it will get worse before you stop lol. Theres always room for a small shrimp tank lol.

you got that right, almost bit my arm off!  and if its an 8.5g cube for sulawesi...theres definitely room ^^  one day :D

I think that's the best use for tomato baskets I've ever seen! Your shrimp are gonna be happy in that moss. The only thing I would do is maybe thin out the hair grass so it grows out more evenly. It's a pita to do but I think it would look cool. Just my 2 cents

Thanks !  I got the grass in one long strip, its the topfin brand from the store.  I am having a hard time getting it to spread.  I think it might be the substrate, I find new baby blades of grass in the moss and sides of tank near waterline..  its just not anchoring/setting in properly.  Maybe its best in sand?  or trimming to encourage growth?  that stuff takes "forrrr ehhhhh verrrrrrr" - TheSandlot

Just witnessed the mama today and she was "hugging" a male for a good 25 seconds before they let go of each other.  I wish i had a video to show you all.

You know how they dart pretty fast to almost a hault when startled or spooked?  well they both darted up from the bottom surface in the back of the tank under the moss. and came back down pretty quick.  At first i thought i was witnessing my first moult.  Then they darted up again and when they landed in a different spot, it was clear at that moment that it was a pair.  I dont know what happened for sure, but it looks like mama doesnt have her babies anymore, and just mated today.  When they parted she landed in the moss cloud and carwled in.

They were belly to belly like SoothingShrimp talked about in a thread somewhere around here.  And 1 was male , the other a female.  I just wanted to note this in the journal for the tank so i can get an accurate birthday for the next batch ^^ if I am correct.

Has anybody ever seen this? Know what Im talking about?

Thanks All :)