Golden backs vs Neons

The long name is golden shrimp with golden back. They were selectively bred to have the solid yellow strip down their back. 

This is a side pic but you can still see the more solid line going down its back.

20141125_174631_zpsnplpcbio.jpg

yes, but so do neons.  In fact they were named neons because the original breeder thought his strain looked like a neon light (the racing stripe) radiating yellow.  Here's an example of neons from a quick google search:

image_2_zpsa59f5091.jpeg

For comparison, here's a golden back yellow:

record_13927930381.jpg

They look the same to me.  (?)

Many people confuse the name neon as referring to a color, when actually it refers to the racing stripe.

Sometimes sellers/wholesalers change names of the genetically same item to sell a product better. I'm wondering if that's what happened.

The neons were bred specifically as a strain to have the yellow stripe.  A regular yellow strain may have the yellow stripe occur randomly, but neons have it bred in.

Slycat, if you have a strain that has consistent stripes, they are neons...  And may now be called Goldenbacks?

When he originally bred the strain he concentrated on just having the genetics for every single fem being born with a stripe.  Once he won awards for that, he said he was going to start concentrating on all males having the stripe as well since some of his males had stripes, too.  This was years ago, and haven't heard anything since.

I was thinking the same thing when I first got my Neon Yellows. Someone had commented on my YouTube channel that I had nice golden backs. And I was like.. um what? They looked the same to me on Google Search as well, so I just assumed they were different names for the same shrimp.

Thanks for asking the question. I always wondered why there were two names for yellow neos

Now how are the new yellow King Kong different from the other yellow neos? I read they were neos and might even cross with cardina.