Home LED Light Bulbs

Triton

Hey guys, looking to cut back on costs and such in the house,

anyone use these Cree LED bulbs? I've seen good reviews on them, and at $7 its very tempting.. but having 40 light bulbs in the house would make it tough to do all at once lol

I hate the led bulbs.  I rarely use that word, but in this case it fits.  I've tried many led bulbs that "say" they are equivelant to such and such and the light is so dim it isn't nearly the amount of light I'm used to.

Never tried the Cree ones though.  Who knows?  They may work better?

my fiance can't stand the CFL etc... because she likes the warmer light color... the 2700K Cree's are supposed to be similar so I'm gonna pick up 10 of them and try them out

Using some rough calcs, if all the lights in my house were LED I'd save $10-15 per month

First thoughts ... I like them, tad longer that a standard bulb (1/2" or so)

The outside is almost tacky, kinda weird. It's like a rubbery coating

post-88-139509425781_thumb.jpg

post-88-139509426576_thumb.jpg

The two different bulbs are the LEDs, not much of a difference in person (note I replaced 40w bulbs with 60w LEDs since the 60s were cheaper than 40s)

I use the CFL on inside light fixtures but I have some of those 60 watt bright white led bulbs hanging a few inches over a few 20 gallon tanks and fantastic plant growth .  I mention that just incase you ever set up smaller tanks .

One reason I dislike the compact fluorescents is they are very dim when they first turn on.  They brighten over a period of 5 minutes or so but it is SO annoying

I use CFLs almost exclusively.  Although I was using an incandescent as the porch light, because CFLs won't work properly with the X10 (home automation) wall module I use to control it.  Plus even without X10, most ran unacceptably dim during winter months.

I read that those Crees worked well with X10, so I gave one a try for the porch.  It worked as claimed with X10 and had no problems with low temps this winter.  No hum, at least with this one.  The light quality is pretty good too, I don't notice any weirdness in the spectrum compared to the incandescent it replaced.  It might be slightly nicer than warm white CFLs, which sometimes produce a slight greenish tint in some things, especially wood for some reason.  Being Cree, I hope it won't dim substantially after a short period of time, like the few other LED products I've tried.

While it seems a clear winner for this one purpose, I'm not ready to switch the entire house over to them yet.  Payback for the higher-priced Crees over the CFLs I normally use will be slow at best; but non-existent if they dim, don't survive the occasional power surge, or otherwise have a high failure rate.  Time will tell.