Neo Questions

Seeing as my Neo experience is minimal, I have a couple questions.

A. My tap water comes through a short copper pipe, should I not use it in the tank?

B. What substrate have you had the most success with?

Thanks in advance!

Great questions, I will share my opinion:

A.  I would say to reassure what I think you should test your water with a cheap Copper Test Kit. I think you will be fine as the copper I am sure isn't leaving any residue within the water itself.

B. You can use almost any substrate you can imagine, I would stay away from any that would increase your PH. I have used Eco-Complete, ADA Aquasoil, and UP Aquasoil with matching results.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, thank you!

I will see if I can find a kit.  Would hate to get some nice shrimp to end up poisoning them.  I plan to keep a few simple plants in there, but nothing crazy. Keeping it very low tech. Probably mosses and a java fern.

I use ADA Amazonia in my CRS and BB tanks. It buffers the PH of my RO well below 6.0.  Another person recommended I use Fluval Stratum for neos.

Great questions, I will share my opinion:

A.  I would say to reassure what I think you should test your water with a cheap Copper Test Kit. I think you will be fine as the copper I am sure isn't leaving any residue within the water itself.

B. You can use almost any substrate you can imagine, I would stay away from any that would increase your PH. I have used Eco-Complete, ADA Aquasoil, and UP Aquasoil with matching results.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, thank you!

I will see if I can find a kit. Would hate to get some nice shrimp to end up poisoning them. I plan to keep a few simple plants in there, but nothing crazy. Keeping it very low tech. Probably mosses and a java fern.

I use ADA Amazonia in my CRS and BB tanks. It buffers the PH of my RO well below 6.0. Another person recommended I use Fluval Stratum for neos.

You can get a Cu test kit at lowes or HD

1, Use Seachem Prime, you would be fine

2, pool sand, the cheapest substrate you can get. $3 per bag

Excellent, thanks! I've been mighty curious about buces, but haven't looked for someone who could ship to Canada. May have to put up a wanted add on my local board.