Shrimper from tha bay

Subtletanks91

Some know me some don't, my name is also eric (yes same as dukendabears) haha

I have had fish since I was a little kid 7 years old, they always fascinated me the way the swim, act, feed, court, and how smart they actually are and no one gives them credit for. That was 16 years ago haha, I have always had at least one tank running at all times, it's my escape and my chill pill after or before a long day. I got into shrimp last year when I found aquabid and seen all the beautiful shrimp. I did rush into things like most people do set the tank up ran it with supplements and threw 30 rcs in. Little did I know all the science and parameters behind it make it nearly impossible to keep anything alive haha.

I did learn from my mistakes and now run a ten gallon with several types of shrimp in it. I call it the skittle tank lol. I also have a 1.6 gallon tank running with some endlers in it and a 55 gallon tank I have had running for 3 years now, my recent endeavors have been breeding betas(successfully) apistograma trifasciata and cacatuoides double reds. I love fish and I love shrimp. Soon I'll be getting a small business license to run hard goods and equipment from across seas and bring it to you all my fellow shrimpers.

Great to have you! 

I know what you mean, my wife tolerates them....but barely.

Haha, yeah it seems woman are like that sometimes. She understands this is my hobby and that I make a little cash here and there. And that I. Going to open a shop one day. But tolerates it because I love doing it haha.

Hey now, I don't think it's limited to women... just significant others that haven't converted as completely as, say, Stef and DarkCobra. :D

But yes, my boyfriend hears me shaking up the API nitrates and yells from the other room "why are you testing again??" He also doesn't want to hear about whether the Hygro might have a potassium deficiency, or whether I'm thinking of adjusting the water level to affect how much surface agitation is created by the HOB. He's barely interested even in the pretty shrimp, and really only wants a Bala shark, which he's been told we cannot have until we install a multi-hundred gallon tank for when the cute pet store babies grow up. (not happening)

I guess we just have to accept our nerdiness, love them for their tolerance... and/or secretly continue to plot their conversion. (cue innocent girly look ;) )

LOL  I know quite a few gal shrimpers, and quite a few guy shrimpers, but almost always their mates are not interested in their hobby.  Mine has tolerated what I'm doing and even mildly show an interest here and there, but at least she's not 100% against what I'm doing.  BELIEVE ME, when I say THAT is GREAT!

HaHaHa!

Here I thought DarkCobra and I were just mental :)

In our case, it wasn't a matter of conversion; we both had an interest when we met.

Significant others and spouses should be supportive in each others hobbies and goals, even if they don't partake of said hobby. 

Seeing that the other is not as enthusiastic or interested means you shouldn't beat their ears with it constantly, either.

Have to find a compromise.

I look over sometimes and see all sorts of gadgets and hieroglyphics on his computer that I couldn't figure out in a million years.

(I'm not the most electronically inclined. As far as technical, a butter knife still works as my screwdriver and I drive nails in the wall with a river rock wrapped in a washcloth like a cave person if I can't find a hammer. Once removed a trunk of a Christmas tree with a steak knife before realizing I had about 6 antique hand saws in my closet waiting to be painted as an art project. Duh.)

And he can't fathom some of the things I do.

I let him do his "boy" stuff, and I am patient when he goes gadget shopping (boring), and he is patient when I drag him through thrift stores and hobby shops, and "girl world".

I think things go sour and weariness sets in when one or the other in a relationship constantly starts things they never finish (usually after a big hype about said project) or the interest is the flavor of the month. Like aquariums one month, model trains the next, car restoration and all the crap that comes with it, etc. The other person has a hard time keeping up, especially if they have their own stuff going on. Not saying trying new things isn't great, but pick one thing and see it through.

-Stef*

This is true very true. She is very supportive of me, and the hobby, and tolerates it. My daughter on the other hand loves fish and shrimp. She's only 2 but when I feed the fish she wants to feed them, so I give her the amount I would feed them and she puts it in the tank and sais "fishes eat I feed fishes" it's so adorable.

I think the main reason she gets mad is she doesn't have a tank anymore and there's no room for another, lol. So I'm tearing my 55 down this week and replacing it with a 25g mr aqua cube. And the in a few months getting another for my shrimp to transfer to. Then she can have the ten gallon haha

That is so cool, Eric.

It would be great to see your daughter on these forums in another decade or so :)

I got my start in aquaria by fishing and catching garter snakes for my Granny.

Other than her, no one in my family, other than my younger siblings showed any interest, so when I got older and had to baby sit them, I'd take them all down the crick (creek). Never had to "time out" (back then it was called a "tanned arse") at the crick.

-Stef*

Oh she will be on the forums haha. She'll learn at a young age and has me and everyone on the forums to learn from and get advice. The way she is I think she might want a crayfish or cichlids for her first tank lol she's a little demon. Tantrums are running into the wall face first. It's so funny but kinda scary.

Yeah I remember when I was little and went to Oregon to visit my auntie they would take me down to the crick. I grew up around old timers so I know the old language haha. Catching craw dads, and newts, and frogs. God childhood was so much fun.

• 2 weeks later...

That's lucky hAha I have to justify my purchases with my fiancé, or I get reemed lol. I can't wait to see what she sais when I have three boxes from Hong Kong and Malaysia come to the front door. Along with a package from bml