Okay, I hate to have to ask this because it's going to make me look like a total idiot, but I'm thinking of making an HMF for my newest 20L, and I know there needs to be some sort of pump to pump the water up the tubing. Is this the same kind of pump that people use for the air bubbles or is this something different?

Yes it is. The bigger the air pump the more flow you'll have. Just connect the tubing from the pump to the uplift tube. There are some good youtube vids on hmf's.

No problem!I I keep on wanting to set up a tank using an hmf filter but always end up with an hob. One of these day!! What are you keeping in the 20L?

You can get some great CRS from Mayphly.  I us a HMF - I love it.  Easy to set up and keep up.  I use a 300 air pump - but I installed a valve in the airline to turn down the flow.  It was too strong.  Shrimp seem happier now with not so strong a flow.

This is where I got my filter - came with tubing, 45 ppi  mat - total of $20 - worth it.  Got the 300 air pump for $8 from Dr Foster & Smith

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/

I use HMF filters on most my tanks too.  I really like them!

I'm going to add a spray bar to it (pvc tube with drilled holes and closed end) to reduce (or rather evenly distribute) the flow into the tank. Hopefully the shrimp will be okay with that.=)

I'm going to add a spray bar to it (pvc tube with drilled holes and closed end) to reduce (or rather evenly distribute) the flow into the tank. Hopefully the shrimp will be okay with that.=)

You don't need it. you want a slow good flow in the tank.

I saw something on pinterest (I think) where they used the parts of a double sponge filter..you know the large one with two moveable arms with black ridged sponges on them..and took off the sponges, cut a slit into the thick foam, inserted the filter except for the very top where it bubbles, glued it shut so shrimp would not get in and you have a giant sponge/hmf type filter.  I think I am going to do that and modify it so it can be a tank divider/filter.  Good luck with the new tank!

I saw something on pinterest (I think) where they used the parts of a double sponge filter..you know the large one with two moveable arms with black ridged sponges on them..and took off the sponges, cut a slit into the thick foam, inserted the filter except for the very top where it bubbles, glued it shut so shrimp would not get in and you have a giant sponge/hmf type filter. I think I am going to do that and modify it so it can be a tank divider/filter. Good luck with the new tank!

That's a really good idea! I think I might actually do that instead of a spray bar! Thanks! [emoji2]

Would you please share the pic?

I saw something on pinterest (I think) where they used the parts of a double sponge filter..you know the large one with two moveable arms with black ridged sponges on them..and took off the sponges, cut a slit into the thick foam, inserted the filter except for the very top where it bubbles, glued it shut so shrimp would not get in and you have a giant sponge/hmf type filter.  I think I am going to do that and modify it so it can be a tank divider/filter.  Good luck with the new tank!

Seems like that would defeat the purpose of the HMF. The HMF intakes water through the entire piece of foam. Inserting a hacked sponge filter intake into the foam would concentrate the intake to the two places where the initial sponge filter foam was, not using the entire surface area of the sponge for filtration.

I can't find pictures of this anywhere now!  I wasn't clear about it by saying it was a hmf/type filter.  I was referring to the tank divider type of sponge in it and not that it was really an hmf filter.  I do see the point of r45t4m4n about concentrating the intake.  Point taken.  I like bostoneric's idea of making the two holes in tank divider.  Would love to see a photo of that set up when it is done.