Purple Angel Moss

manticore

I hope you like this new species, sems a plagiochila, i got it since august 2013 (the copyrighted picture) but inserted also  pictures from last week (dec 2014) if you have questions on this species let m know... i am Robert Angyalosi, sometimes Facebook can be usefull.

Kind regards

post-563-0-95699600-1418079925_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-47581200-1418079931_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-73497500-1418079934_thumb.jpg

the angel moss is very scarce even in nature. i have found it in a remote area on the former Transylvanian border (Europe), even where i have seen it, it is only on a few squaremeters. it doesnt grow  in large pillows. 

it requeries colder water (18/20 degrees Celsius, 65/68 Fahrenheit, lots of light and CO2 can help). it lives like Fissidens species in nature, on rocky soil, in shallow slow running waters), only it lives on basaltic, granitic rocks (not exactly sure which one), not rocks that dessolve. the water parameters where i found it was ebout pH 7, KH 0, 10 uS. Now i keep it in pH 6,5 , KH 3, 270 uS (about 18 month have gone since i have it).

well that would be all i can tell about this, sure as more persons will keep it also the information will be more detailed, this is what i find. in my oppinion it grows slow, should be a plagiochila species.

you really find this species only at me at this point. 

kind regards

i really didnt push testing that direction. i do not know for sure to answer the question. I have had about 30 species in experimenting, thisone i have deceided to show it. i do not want to make here public other sites (that might be interpreted that i want to make someone else publicity), But about 18 month ago i published some interesting pictures also with other species in them.

i didnt push all the limits in all the species, it was a thing i made partially as o hobby and own curiosity. the purple is natural, it stays thatway, it is not induces by any substances or special conditions. i do not use fertilisers.

the ones that are really interested in this can ask my dirctly through certain social networks and i give as much spcific infomation i can. my first objectiv was to kep this moss alive and not to push all its limits, but to try to understand what it needs, and correlate these with the natural habitat i saw when i found it.

it really might live very well even in less good conditions, i simply do not know. the color is not lost, as this is the color form the plants lives in natural conditions all the time. there are new pictures of the moss posted by several colleagues now, where you can see it under different light spectrums. Those images might be even nicer as colour, the thing you will always see is that the quantity of leaves in those pictures are always about 10 maybe 20 individual  stems

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would love to see some pics of your emersed set up and how it's growing for you.

hi there, i really hope the moss fine at you. i sent now 3 portions (as gift) to people who know much about wabi-kusa (norway and germany) and i will let you know as soon i have nice things to present.

• 1 month later...

ok so i put the information togheter (yesterday there where 2 diferent post on same subject).

Update on conditions:

in 2 cases (in germany and in norway the moss lives now since several months, and grows slowly. i will update with pictures that i receive from these guys. 

The most important thing is that it needs to be kept half in water and half out of it (wabikusa style). not much light  needed, not much fertilisers.

also i will post pictures of how i keep it but that will take now about 2 months, as i prepare something, and usually present things only that run, i am selective with most of the pictures i present.

post-563-0-24542600-1430692125_thumb.jpg

and last but not least for the moment...

more red moses will be tested (these pictures where already presented 2 years ago on shrimpnow on 27 august 2013), this year i will work again with more red mosses , this moss i found in a lake, will try working with it again. i lost it the other time due to string algae and no fertilisation at all, nor co2. thistime the conditions wil be better and i will have more time for it.

post-563-0-48260600-1430692787_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-12614600-1430692790_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

grown in wabikusa in norway... by Kjell Tellefsen

personally i expected it a little different :)

"it's been half under water. just took it out for a photoshoot. the tank it's in is not suited for photos these days. that's why i take it with me tomorrow to my office" ( Kjell Tellefsen)

post-563-0-89402400-1431453360_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-52886000-1431453362_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

other pictures with the purple angel in Norway. At this point i have only very small amount of this moss. i wil get it soon again and i will do myself a wabi kusa with it with these special half submerged  half emersed conditions. wanna show you something with new mosses in the next months.

post-563-0-32984800-1432470032_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-67401100-1432470033_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

well, finally i managed to get pictures from the natural environment how this extraordinary moss lives. and as you will see, it develops obviously also submerged, or at least for longer periods it lives in submerged environments (the way i saw it when i first got it)

so, here the pictures (the first ones ever taken in that place)

it is obvious it develops best in waterwalls but also that it lives in submersion (i was not able up untill now to find out exactly these conditions)

water values ph 7, conductivity 10 (ten) microsiemens

post-563-0-52876100-1435159584_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-55380800-1435159622_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-47227400-1435159631_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-03125400-1435159653_thumb.jpg