Buffering substrates (in depth)

So recently we have had some new "shrimp" buffering substrates make it here to the US.  I have recently decided to redo a few of my tanks that I used Fluval Shrimp Stratum in over a year ago.  When trying to find info on the actual buffering capabilities using RO water for these new brands, I am still at a loss for a few of the brands.  So I would like to see everyone post their experiences and technical info on the particular buffering substrates that you have used.  Here are the few I have definitive data about.....

Brand/Type:  ADA Amazonia

Time in use:  8 months +/-

Tap or RORO

Remineralizer:  SS GH+ (GH of 5)

PH: 5.7

Brand/Type: UPAQUA Aqua Sand

Time in use:  11 months +/-

Tap or RO: RO

Remineralizer: SS GH+ (GH of 5)

PH: 6.7

Brand/Type: Fluval Shrimp Stratum

Time in use:  10 months +/-  (I do have an old tank with a very thin layer of FSS that is exhausted, approx. 16 months or more)

Tap or RO: RO

Remineralizer: SS GH+ (GH of 6)

PH 6.6-6.8

Brand/Type: Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate

Time in use: Just ordered online, will update soon

Tap or RO: n/a

Remineralizer: n/a

PH: n/a

Please add your data and any pros and cons about it.  I will update as I try new substrates.  I plan on ordering Controsoil soon.

I love my UPAQUA Aqua Sand because it never seems to give out.  (Hope I didn't jinx myself)  I used it a couple years ago, broke down the tank and baked it in the oven to dry it and then stored it in a 2 liter.  Pulled it back out again earlier this year and set up another tank with it.  Still works great.

It buffers my water low though to the 5's.  I use baking soda to bring it back up to the 6's.

I use Ro with Fluval liquid remin.

You should add ControSoil to your list also. 

Here is my current test list, I'd like to get a few others to add to the test also.

plan is 10G with HMF filter for each soil.

ADA Amazonia2

ControSoil

Brightwell Medium black

GlasGarten

"Unamed" soil.

Brightwell soil is manufactured by Contro-Soil, so... Contro-Soil makes the brightwell soils.

I have 3 TB tanks so far with brightwell, Azoo plant grower bed, and UP aqua shrimp sand. So far, I really like the look of the brightwell, but I haven't had it long enough to fully judge pH. None of my tanks hAve been running linger than a couple months, but pH hangs in the low 6 range for all of them. I am going to make a 4th tank and I was considering the controsoil.

I have 3 TB tanks so far with brightwell, Azoo plant grower bed, and UP aqua shrimp sand. So far, I really like the look of the brightwell, but I haven't had it long enough to fully judge pH. None of my tanks hAve been running linger than a couple months, but pH hangs in the low 6 range for all of them. I am going to make a 4th tank and I was considering the controsoil.

How do you like the Azoo?  Is it dense/hard like the Aqua Sand?

I would love to see an update once you get a better idea of the quality, consistency , and buffering abilities.

You should add ControSoil to your list also. 

Here is my current test list, I'd like to get a few others to add to the test also.

plan is 10G with HMF filter for each soil.

ADA Amazonia2

ControSoil

Brightwell Medium black

GlasGarten

"Unamed" soil.

Brightwell soil is manufactured by Contro-Soil, so... Contro-Soil makes the brightwell soils.

Eric, I have almost all y tanks setup with the HMFilters.  I love it.  Low maintenance, fairly affordable.  My only complaint, which is my own fault is if you allow a plant to root in the material, it is a pain to remove all of it.  Otherwise, a big shelf, several tanks with these filters and one big air pump is the way to go!

totally agree.  costs slightly more up front for the HMF material but in the long game will outlast and out perform just about any other type of filtration. 

biggest plus for me is electricity. instead of multiple canisters/hob/sump pumps/etc.. just 1 air pump and done.

What I have read is it is just rebranded control soil

they look VERY similar as far as granules appear.  I actually think the brightwell looks slightly better.

I'm not sure its rebranded but I do know controsoil makes brightwell, so maybe it is.

It is not the PH buffering ability that I value in shrimp substrate. In my interviews with the TW breeders, they are all very particular with their choice of substrate (ADA being the #1 choice). In my opinion, you need to change your operation procedure to adapt to the substrate you choose. If something doesn't work for you but work for others, it's not the substrate but how you use it. For this very same reason, I settled on ADA and never thought changing.

It is not the PH buffering ability that I value in shrimp substrate. In my interviews with the TW breeders, they are all very particular with their choice of substrate (ADA being the #1 choice). In my opinion, you need to change your operation procedure to adapt to the substrate you choose. If something doesn't work for you but work for others, it's not the substrate but how you use it. For this very same reason, I settled on ADA and never thought changing.

Dang, I agree so hard with what you said. Your expertise in shrimping and insight with TW pro breeders choice substrate is going to cause a huge splash with folks swapping substrates. Hahah!! I'm predicting a trending in folks swapping substrates. JK. [emoji1]

Care to elaborate on my specific operations that need to be changed?!  lol

And I would love to know how to "use substrate" rather than letting the substrate buffer to it's designed ability.  Please enlighten us 

Have the controsoil up and running for a month now and it is keeping ph a steady 5.7 to 5.8 with ro/di

Colorfan, so far my Brightwell is at a steady PH of 5.9

That is using RO remineralized with SS GH+

I'm considering ordering some of the brown colored Controsoil.  I have the black Brightwell and it is not as dark as I expected but still looks nice.

This is my first time cycling a tank with buffered substrate.  I am using the Brightwell because I did not want to go through the cycling of ADA as it leeches ammonia at the beginning.  Now it seems the Brightwell might be starting to leech a tiny bit of ammonia.  I have had it cycling (with filter material from a mature tank) for over three weeks and had nitrates and nitrites showing up.  All of a sudden the only thing showing up is about .25 ammonia.  I feed it with 3ppm ammonia every 48 hours and it is not giving me a 0 reading for ammonia anymore.  Is this just part of how the cycling goes with one of these substrates and I just need to keep on until it get the correct readings?  Oh..I also seeded under it with Old Sea Mud and BT-9 and it is planted but not as heavily as my other tanks as this will be more of a breeding tank.  Ph is steady at 6.2-6.4  right between the two.  Also added four small MTS and you know how they are...you never know they are there and alive and kicking so one of those could have died.

SS, I love the Aqua Sand too, just wish it was darker for shrimp color purposes.  And I also seem to have slightly better breeding in those particular tanks also.  May just be coincidence but I so far i'm a believer.

This the substrate that says it includes monmortilite (sp) clay?  Its always struck me odd that a sand could hold any additives whatsoever.  especially a powder.