Pika's First 10g Shrimp Tank!

Pika

Finally starting my first journal! Never mind that the most dramatic two months will be posted all at once... now I have a place to add!

So... Mid-January 2014... My very first fish tank since childhood!

I somehow can't find a pic from the original phase, pre plantage. But here's very early on:

Mopani driftwood
Taiwan moss
Green myriophyllum stems

(plants from a lovely RAOK on TPT)

Lighting = my old sunlamp (T5 bulbs, who knew?) while I am still deciding on the LED I want
Aquaclear20 HOB

EcoComplete substrate

tank0.jpg

Later Jan/early Feb... added some more plants, another piece of driftwood, and the heater (Aqueon Pro 50)

Added plants: (from h4n!)

Dwarf Sag

Anubias - Petite Nana

Java Fern "Windelov"

Marimo balls - nano size

Tank1.jpg

Getting a little bored with the fishless cycling, so decided to spruce things up a bit with some Sculpey art...

• a "trellis" for my moss (yes, I really did handweave all those clay snakes... sometimes you just need a brain break and some busy work!)
  • a tiny but fierce Cthuhlu... old god of the deep (full disclosure, I stole the idea from someone else, but I did sculpt him myself)

tank3.jpg

Cycled and ready for some Otocinclus catfish! I was so excited, and instantly in love with these little guys... never thought I would be, but you can't fight love.

Acclimating... don't mind the old cookpot I'm using to keep them dark in their glass bowl. This picture shows their tendencies from early on... they got named Bert and Ernie, and Loner. :)

7249ccef-f01f-41d4-838e-3366f87dad31.jpg

Cleaning up the algae I struggled against my mild OCD to grow for them...

Otos1.jpg

Added some more plants...

Current inhabitants:

Green Myriophyllum

Taiwan Moss

Anubias - Petite Nana

Java fern "Windelov"

Dwarf sag

Marimo moss balls

Salvinia minima floaters

Rotala - green

Rotala - red

Hygrophila angustifolia

Riccia fluitans

3 Otos  (spinach dinner around Chtulhu)

tank4.jpg

Filling in nicely... practicing my stability and growing some biofilm for the next step... shrimps!

(Riccia actually got added here, I had it prior, but not in the tank yet)

tank5.jpg

Shrimps arrive! St. Patrick's shrimp on 17 Mar 2014

Red cherry shrimp, purportedly from Speedie's "Supreme Red" line. Hopefully I can keep them nice and red!

In their bowl immediately after arrival, before going into a darker area for drip acclimation. So tiny!

ee1906a1-2325-4f75-af0c-53f48d7c7a03.jpg

Here's a few pics from that night and the next day!

shrimp5.jpg

3 Amigos on the mountain

shrimpmtn1.jpg

Itty bitty!

shrimp6.jpg

Here he is... no masterpiece, but I like him. :) He had a matching wing vein originally, but I broke it off when I was sanding off some of my fingerprints. I didn't notice them originally, but somehow the tank water magnified them, and I couldn't stand it any longer, so I pulled him out, sanded him with a little wet/dry, and busted it.

Yeah, I haven't managed to catch the Otos cleaning his head, but they do! And the shrimps haven't really hopped on him yet, but feeding happens in that open space in front of him, so it'll happen.

chtulhu1.jpg

chtulhu2.jpg

Love it!

Lol, last pic looks like it's glowing.

I am hesitant to use Sculpty in a tank. If I did, it would have to be the colored kind like yours, where the color goes all through the clay.

I never used the colored kind. I paint and seal the Super Sculpty II because it's the strongest. Found the original not as strong, but if it holds up to Oto sucking, I'll reconsider :)

-Stef*

Looks like a great home for your animals! Congratulations! I love it!

Awesome looking tank Pika! And your cherry shrimp have a real nice red to em too.

Is that the trellis you were telling me about?, looks real cool great job! So what kind of clay did you use to make it?

How are the floaters doing? I was unsuccessful with my first attempt at frogbit, the water surface was to intense from my hob and they died off slowly but surely. From your pics yours are doing great. Whats the secret ?! Lol

Thanks for sharing your sweet tank!

Yep, that's the trellis. :) It's Sculpey (Premo type) clay, the plastic-type clay you bake at home in a low-temp oven. Supposedly, it's inert like PVC when cooked/cured, although they warn against using it for food/beverage because it's porous enough you can't really disinfect it. I didn't think that would be an issue in the tank where I'd like a good biofilm, so I did a little water testing (seeing if it would change parameters in a tub of water... didn't) then just chucked 'em in there. I still acknowledge I'm doing a bit of an experiment, but the Otos have done great with it, and all my shrimp are still happy too. Once the pieces start showing signs of breaking down at all, I'll pull them out.

My floaters are growing slowly, but steadily. (Fine by me!) The HOB flow definitely pushes some of them down, and they get stuck on the filter sponge, which is annoying. I try to push them all out to the edges during water changes and run the filter lower until they "settle", then turn up the flow later.

Today, I caught a little shrimp hanging upside down off the floater roots and grazing. :D

• 2 weeks later...

More recent picture of the tank!

Got my souvenir hidey-cave-tower-thing from Toronto, my giant marimo and IAL from Jaime, and a new set of Sculpey hidey-tubes in the back.

April2014.jpg

Next, need to get on those berry pics! I have two lovely, knocked-up shrimpies now!

Oh, and get on the fertilizer regimen, as I'm getting a little more BBA than I would like, and I think it's a lack of proper nutrients thing. Need to complete the "literature" (ie, forums) review, and then decide on an appropriate regimen.

ETA: also on the to-do list, figure out what my dwarf sag would like to grow faster. It's holding steady, and one node is putting out a side-baby, but this is WAY slower growth than I expected from it.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it yet. I really do want the shrimp to be "happy"/comfortable.

But, as this is my one and only tank, and I'm loving the planted aspect too, I might dip a toe in. I am using a few osmocote+ root capsules and standard Flourish Excel right now (at about 3/4mL per this 10g, which is a little under dosing) and they are tolerating it well. I'm thinking of either getting dry, separate fertilizer components and doing teeny doses at first. Either that, or doing a scaled-back EI pre-made mix regimen, "under dosing" it (which I think is basically counter to what they intend with EI, but oh well!). I won't be doing weekly 50% changes, so I can't be piling on the ferts like others do. I know my EcoComplete isn't used up yet because it's so young, but I worry about the floaters sucking up water-column nutrients, and also the recent slowing rate of growth on all my plants that were going gangbusters before.

I should probably start us a nice, general ferts advice thread over in the plants section. :)

just wanted to chime in for a minute in your Journal Pika.  been awhile since i checked it out and it is loking tops!  great work.  congrats on the berries and welcome back from your trip as well.

So my two cents on the dry ferts, you have the right idea to start with teeny doses.  i started dosing at the recommended amount for my size tank, and used too much, over dosing will encourage algae growth from what i have seen and read.  the calculator i used to get the measurements was found on GLA website.  I also dosed with dry ferts, using the EI method vs the PPS Pro.  this required a 50 percent water change every week though.  on a 10 gallon, its not so bad.  however, one thing i would make sure of if going the EI method, is to get the water temps as close a possible when doing water changes.  i got my dry ferts from GLA as well as the containers used for holding premixes of your micro and macro nutrients.  in the planted realm of aquariums, ive noticed more hobbyists doing EI.

if cost is an issue for you, and if you dont mind paying the shipping, i can send you a months worth of dry ferts to try out since I am not dosing any ferts at the moment. well, not counting the flourish i put in my moss only tanks, bucket.. whatever :lol:

Great looking tank Pika!

• 2 weeks later...

Some slightly better berry pics... have 3 girls berried now! Lost one of my males to unknown causes ( :() but everyone else seems to be going strong.

berried4-2014_sm.jpg

bothberries4-2014_sm.jpg

And because the fish felt left out, here's one of them too. All three are still doing well, even "Ernie" who got himself wedged in the sponge and had to be rescued!

fishnshrimp.jpg