Do I need tank cover for crs?

I have seen videos of crs climbing and wondered if everyone covers their tanks. It seems like it would be hard to cover with all the filter equipment needed. Do they get out of tanks?

Metageologist, I have lots of floating plants and let the water sprite grow out so maybe that will discourage them.  There is a video somewhere on YouTube that shows the crs climbing right up the walls during a WC!  They are an investment and I don't want to find dehydrated shrimp on the floor!!  I don't have a problem with my neos so I guess I will leave a little space at the top of the tank and hope they stay put!

What did you guys use for the tops?  Acrylic, lexan, glass???  did you cut out for the hob, air line for sponge filter, etc.?

Shrimps will climb up anything that's wet but as long as to keep the water at least 1/2 from the top trim you should be fine. I used to keep my water level fairly high plus there of a bit of overflow from the HOB and every month I would find a few dried up shrimps on the floor behind the tank.

Thanks for all the input so far. I don't love the look of the hoods but the petco ten g tanks are not on display anyway. Seems like all the new lighting is smack down at the water level so it would be hard to have lexan or acrylic with those. Going to check out the cheapie hoods. Jumpsmasher mentioned they climb on wet surfaces...any other opinions on that? I have nice leds I would like to use but am spending too much to start this colony to chance loosing a bunch unnecessarily. Thanks...

There are some cheap clamp style led lights that will help keep the light off the water level and growing algae. I use this one on my 7g tb tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeamsWork-Aquarium-33-LED-3-5W-Double-Power-Clamp-Light-Beam-30cm-40cm-/181040505790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a26dae3be

This one sits 5" above my water level and It grows fissidens, moss and dhg fine.

A lighting hanger soiunds like it might work for ya as well.

At Amazon they have all glass covers with a 2" piece of plastic at rear for cutting holes for equipment.  For a 20" or 10 gal Petco tank the top is from 10.99 to 17.99 depending on who you buy it from there.  The item is the All Glass Aquarium AAG29020 Versa Top 20-Inch.  The real measurements are slightly less so it fits on the inner rim of these Tetra 10s.  They are hinged and, according to reviews, if you over filter (guilty) your tank and your hob is larger than the plastic allows people have been soaking the plastic hinge part to get it off which gives them the extra 1/2" they need for larger filters.  This solves my problem as I already have lights that are close to the water level so the lexan is out for me.  Also, I figure you get one and then you have a pattern to cut from for the others you need.  The plastic needlework canvas might even work for the back section with cutouts.  Glue a handle on front section for lifting out and you're done! 

You're welcome. I really hope I have solved all my "set up" issues and can concentrate on populating...my next project is to get a really comfy chair in place. I've got one just need to move it.

I cover my tanks. Always have.

When I started shrimping, I was careful to fully cover the tank. Still, you have all the stuff going in/out - airline and heater power cord. I had an adventurous gal climb out one of those.  She perished by the time I found her. I am now experimenting with ideas for shrimp-resistant baffles for the airline/cords.