Rooibos as a tannin source

Just ran across this as an alternative to Indian almond leaves. It seems that some hobbyists (frog and fish) use rooibos tea leaves to make blackwater extract. All kinds of claims are made, naturally, from health/immune benefits to destroying algae. Supposedly it does not lower pH.

I think I should test that out and see if I can save my remaining plants.

There are claims that it fights algae, and my ever-present hair algae is strangling some Lobelia cardinalis. Tannins can also help plant growth by forming complexes with some of the nutrients that might be otherwise difficult to absorb. The only animal inhabitants at the moment are some ramshorns, and I doubt it could hurt them. If it all bombs, I'm giving up and retiring it as a quarantine tank.

Rooibos is effective in making a tank look like blackwater, but does not actually lower pH at all in my experience. It has a host of other benefits. It boosts immune systems, contains powerful antioxidants, is antimicrobial, antifungal, and contains an assortment of minerals. I have been putting some in my tank for a bit now and my shrimp are doing great and are more active after I put it in. In the fish world it is used to treat an assortment of fish disease including fungal infections and fin rot.

Rooibos is effective in making a tank look like blackwater, but does not actually lower pH at all in my experience. It has a host of other benefits. It boosts immune systems, contains powerful antioxidants, is antimicrobial, antifungal, and contains an assortment of minerals. I have been putting some in my tank for a bit now and my shrimp are doing great and are more active after I put it in. In the fish world it is used to treat an assortment of fish disease including fungal infections and fin rot.

how much you adding it into your tank? cause i am interested and want to trying it out. 

Okay, so I tried it out a few days ago and added enough tea to tint the water a pale yellow.

The next morning, one of the remaining tufts of algae had turned white. I thought that was a pretty good sign, and have added a bit more each day, in keeping with Puddles' advice. It's really too early to tell long term, but I don't see it coming back just yet. Usually, a week after I've pulled this green hair-type algae, it starts creeping back and I grumble about how I should throw out all the plants and give up.

Still not back yet! Okay, so I shouldn't be so excited, but this is pretty ground-breaking for me.

One of the local groups I'm on just had a post about staghorn, so I'm trying to get them to try it out on that as well.

Still not back yet! Okay, so I shouldn't be so excited, but this is pretty ground-breaking for me.

One of the local groups I'm on just had a post about staghorn, so I'm trying to get them to try it out on that as well.

So you put this stuff in and the hair algae died off?  Am I getting this right?

Moss is still okay?

Unfortunately, the tank I'm experimenting on had about 2 mm (millimeters) of moss to begin with. So I can't say much regarding that. I tend to kill moss.

Technically, I also drained the tank and moved it to the other side of the room, and removed as much manually as was feasible. However, manual removal has always resulted in a rebound (this stuff makes its way into the substrate and it grabs hold of stems as it grows). It's been a week. It's not back yet.

I dosed enough to turn my aquarium water brown yesterday, this tank has a really bad case of BBA, rocks look like fizzy black balls. This afternoon the majority of the BBA is pink...this stuff even kills BBA. 

Has anyone found this in a dried leaf rather than buying ground up packages for Tea makers?

***nevermind, the "Red Bush Rooibos" does not apparently have leaves.  It's more like a grass or weed.  I was expecting atleast quarter sized leaves but they are more like a long narrow blade of grass or something.  About 1/8" wide and maybe 1-2" long.

Okay, I finally got around to attempting to measure pH.

I came to the conclusion that the water chemistry gods are laughing at me. It looks like the pH is somewhere between 7.2 and 7.6, which is no change from usual for me (I think I need to invest in a pH meter, because I have four methods to test pH and none of them agree).

The hair algae returned when I skipped dosing for a week, unfortunately. I pulled it out and got rid of the water sprite that was dying off (suspect low temperature and a battle for resources with the duckweed), and I've re-dosed the tank. Even if it's no better than using glutaraldehyde, I would prefer to use rooibos because a lot of my plants are extremely unhappy with glut. dosing.