My First Mk style shrimp breeding tank

Tranggalangg

Hey guys come fallow my journey in keeping shrimp! I've heard great reviews about MK products and decided to try it out for myself.

Equipment :

Ada - 17gal

Ada soil

High output t5

2211 ehiem canister filter

Heater

MK products

blue diamond - remineralizer

Red diamond - vitamins

Silver powder- bacteria

Golden powder- trace elements/minerals

Mk life balls - help balance out the tank

1621719c1cca48cbe9550868033b4a11.jpg

These are the products that i used in the set up.

9e9c22ce0605bb170e16e70df126712f.jpg

This picture jumped ahead in acouple steps but I'll explain here.

First I laid about 2 inches of Ada then added the Silver powder. Hence this contains bacteria. After so ,I poured the rest of the Ada soil on top of the silver powder. Then I sprinkled the golden power on the very top layer. Golden powder contains minerals essential for shrimps.

After those steps I decided to play around with the Aqua scape.

I ended up with this scape

5ab6034a74aca3b30872fd531c6a88a0.jpg

4034254355d3db6974f6231189c9cf22.jpg

756f3a805959cd15bc9f2701b8307538.jpg

Hard scape consist of oko stone (not sure if I spelled it correctly) and branching wood.

I tied xmas moss to the branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice does it get really cold where you are? I ask because you wanna keep temps bellow 74 for shrimp so might be something to keep in mind.

I have no heaters in mine and tanks sit at 68-70 and shrimp love it lol

74 isnt a big deal.  many breeders use warmer temperatures because they want the shrimp to grow faster, reach sexual maturity faster, eggs hatch faster.  these things net you more shrimp in shorter time and important when trying to breed specific traits.

BUT the trade off is shortly shrimp life

74 isnt a big deal.  many breeders use warmer temperatures because they want the shrimp to grow faster, reach sexual maturity faster, eggs hatch faster.  these things net you more shrimp in shorter time and important when trying to breed specific traits.

BUT the trade off is shortly shrimp life

Yeah but most heaters keep temps above 76. I keep some in my cycling tanks and while all tanks around them are 70 the cycling ones stay a constant 78+ with the generic tetra heaters.

Maybe I just always had bad luck with shrimp when temps went over 74.

Thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it (:

Soo I finially got the chance to fill up my tank with Ro water.! But ran into a major problem... I totally forgot to boil my branching wood. my wood was floating up. -_- but I came up with a solution. I took 3 rocks and tied it to the bottom of the wood to sink it down. By doing this I messed up my aquascape... So I was hoping in 3 weeks when the tank is done cycling the wood will sink and I will be able to fix my scape. Totally bummed out lol

Yeah but most heaters keep temps above 76. I keep some in my cycling tanks and while all tanks around them are 70 the cycling ones stay a constant 78+ with the generic tetra heaters.

Maybe I just always had bad luck with shrimp when temps went over 74.

I use Eheim Jager heater. no problem to set temp at 70F.

Update! I finally got my branching wood to sink down. And fixed my aquascape. My water is still pretty cloudy because I was messing around with the soil. I'm currently running my ehiem 2211 and a Aqua clear 20 on the tank. I'm hoping it will clear up the water. My boyfriend told me to throw a sponge filter in the tank. He said it's going to help soak up the soil particles.

From this point on i am going to leave my light on for 24 hrs a day. I heard doing this 115310212fa6af03fb54b76247baa84f.jpgshould help the cycle process.

9d76c0be5ba9c1fe239f4607c65ed9c2.jpg

372153adf8404b46c148ffe5a601f3e9.jpg