Hi all

featherblue

Hi, im new here....but I've been hooked on shrimp for while now. Ive got 2 neo colonies, blue jelly and orange pumpkins. Im also about to catch and raise my first batch of sexy shrimp larvae from my reef. Their kreisel is almost cycled. I do have a fish tank, 36g community with German rams.....but my aquatic love is with my inverts.

My next project is some bee shrimp. Im going to try some cbs or crs before I get in too deep on some of the Taiwan bees.

Sweet!  Are Sexy Shrimp larva hard to raise?

In comparison to other shrimp larvae, no.....but its still some work. Theyre born free floating and needing tiny amounts of food constantly. Ive got a diy kreisel (circular motion tank) to keep babies suspended with food (in this case enriched bbs). They take about 30 days to develop into walking tiny shrimp

Posted Image

This is right after I filled it with fresh sw, but before I added 5lb of live rock rubble for my filtration.

The shrimp will be in the round section. The tubing across the top is a diy spray bar off a 95gph pump

Food grade 6 gallon bucket from the beer brewing store. I was concerned about plastic types that can handle corrosive sw long term

Posted Image

The middle slice is the one I kept for the kreisel body

Way cheaper than the fancy jellyfish tanks that do the same thing.....but it wasn't my idea. I saw it on a couple sites giving info on rearing seahorses

Pandora kitty is my helper with most diy projects....especially if there's anything box like to play with;-)

Diy is my only option for some of the ideas ive tried to follow. $700 for a manufactured kreisel is just not feasible in my world..... My coral addiction kills my fishy budget pretty quick, but thankfully coral grows and I've been able to do some trading to help offset cash costs.

its one tank for my neos at this point. ...i did glass dividers on a 20g long to create three completely seperate compartments

Posted Image

This is right after I filled and scaped initially, plants have been added and grown a bit since.

Blue jelly on the left, ADFs in tge center, and pumpkin orange on the right

No I didnt. I decided to go with 1/4" glass for the dividers (so they didnt crack as I changed water levels in each chamber), so I go them cut by a local glass shop

No I didnt. I decided to go with 1/4" glass for the dividers (so they didnt crack as I changed water levels in each chamber), so I go them cut by a local glass shop

I hate cutting glass, it is actually very easy if you just do it and quick. I always find the more careful you are the more it is prone to not breaking on the cut line. It is definantly easier to have it cut, and if you go to Lowes they will cut it for free and glass is cheap. They will even round it off for you if they have the ability. If not some light sanding will keep you from cutting yourself. I always use a dremel tool to smooth it out. Made a few lids like this for about 3$ a piece it is better than paying 20$ for the premade ones.