LED Flood lights?

Puddles

I took the plunge after doing a little bit of research and bought 2 10W LED floodlights off of ebay from a US supplier. I've read they should put out about 50 PAR at 12" depth. I'm using one on a 10g and 1 on a 15g. Trying to grow some repens, red lotus, dwarf lilies, and madagascar lace with these guys.

Anyway, I'm already committed to this but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with these?

I actually use a few flood lights I got from Lowe's. Led and do awesome, they brought out the best red on my ludwigia I have ever seen. The beam is narrower but seems to do alright with 3 over q tank

-Chris

so you know how fluorescent bulbs have to get changed out like 6-9 months or whatever, even if the light is still working, it gets weak or something, and what im wondering is if this applies to LEDs also.  Or are they good until they burn out?  Also, Did the package have a lifespan or anything like that or recommended changing times? 

Thanks Chris

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=50107550&store=595&view=detail&nValue=4294801192

It says it lasts 27 years. I have a few of the different sizes to. I'll,snap a picture tomorrow for you. For the holder I used the 6$ clip on light at Lowe's. This was when I wanted to supplement my t8s but,couldn't afford anything else. They were on sale for 12$ so got a decent 20$ light and its still going.

-Chris

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=50107550&store=595&view=detail&nValue=4294801192

It says it lasts 27 years. I have a few of the different sizes to. I'll,snap a picture tomorrow for you. For the holder I used the 6$ clip on light at Lowe's. This was when I wanted to supplement my t8s but,couldn't afford anything else. They were on sale for 12$ so got a decent 20$ light and its still going.

-Chris

A lot of the bulb manufacturers rate those at 3 hours a day (Sometimes with small print they are able to get by with a larger hour per day count) .  With LED's in general it comes down to the heat from my understanding which makes them eventually shut down.   

Just some things to note: All my experience is related to reef keeping, breeding SW shrimp, sw macro alg / plants. Hi!

People might want not to get the cheaper bulbs on ebay, they are labeled philips or cree but either they are knock offs or have overly cheap housings and they can bust with in a couple months. The bulbs listed use to be 10k (I didnt read any further maybe they have more options now) .  The best thing is the fact with a cheap 20 dollar controller you can ramp/dim these which tend to be easier on shrimp / plants / fish which im sure you guys know. 

The largest issue right now is finding a very nice fixture rather than the standard clamp light. Sadly ikea still has some of the better "modern" designs.  

If anyone is looking for more power and better color control there are options and companies which make base modules or fixtures (controllable whites/greens/reds/uv/blue etc) .  I think at that point though its more about what is aesthetically pleasing to your eye and not what is beneficial to the tank (aside from maybe being able to remove certain algae problems by controlling the spectrum at the cost of color change in the plants)

-Chris

That's not bad at all, thanks for the reply.  I am always searching for a less costly alternative for lighting shrimp tanks.

The best thing is the fact with a cheap 20 dollar controller you can ramp/dim these which tend to be easier on shrimp / plants / fish which im sure you guys know. 

Welcome aboard! great to have you fellow shrimper :)

Great point about the heat, I completely forgot about that and how top quality led aquarium lights rave about their type of cooling system and how crucial it is to the life of the leds.  I came close to getting some from buildmyled.com, they are actually right around the corner from where I live, so when im rdy to make that investment, no shipping cost ^^ , from what I have read and heard, they are the cream of the crop.

quick question... with the dimmer on the bulb, can you run it longer than 3 hours?  if so, then theoretically, dimmed at 50%, will last for 6 hours? 4.5?  thanks!

That's not bad at all, thanks for the reply.  I am always searching for a less costly alternative for lighting shrimp tanks.

Great point about the heat, I completely forgot about that and how top quality led aquarium lights rave about their type of cooling system and how crucial it is to the life of the leds.  I came close to getting some from buildmyled.com, they are actually right around the corner from where I live, so when im rdy to make that investment, no shipping cost ^^ , from what I have read and heard, they are the cream of the crop.

quick question... with the dimmer on the bulb, can you run it longer than 3 hours?  if so, then theoretically, dimmed at 50%, will last for 6 hours? 4.5?  thanks!

My understanding is when its dimmed there is less heat produced so it should extend the life.  I think now though the modules are built so well it isnt much of an issue (It would be rare for someone to keep a fixture for 10 years or more anyway).  

The only issue, like any lighting source, is that it does lose PAR over time. (So far the numbers average about 10%+ the first year to around 3-6% each additional year of light loss -  which is actually pretty low when  you look at metal halides or T5 bulbs which can lose 50% every year)

If you are a DIY guy by all means go buy some from rapid led or build my led, Heck dave was buying from those companies, started making his own housings and getting to know the technology, eventually made nanoboxreef.com which makes awesome fixtures / modules.   I suppose its really up to your imagination and skills.   Me personally - I just glue a bunch of the suckers on a heatsink with fans, having wires hanging out from everywhere heh.

• 3 weeks later...

That's not bad at all, thanks for the reply. I am always searching for a less costly alternative for lighting shrimp tanks.

Great point about the heat, I completely forgot about that and how top quality led aquarium lights rave about their type of cooling system and how crucial it is to the life of the leds. I came close to getting some from buildmyled.com, they are actually right around the corner from where I live, so when im rdy to make that investment, no shipping cost ^^ , from what I have read and heard, they are the cream of the crop.

quick question... with the dimmer on the bulb, can you run it longer than 3 hours? if so, then theoretically, dimmed at 50%, will last for 6 hours? 4.5? thanks!

Testing out the LED Tape lighting to on a new rack. Going to make my own lighting system. Plus it's only 12$ for 16 ft. Why not mess around with t for low lighting.

-Chris

SUPERNIGHT 5 Meters Cool white LED Light Strip Waterproof 60leds/m ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJLCZ9M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Du3Atb0P4VRWC

These are waterproof. I'll make a thread of the build. Probably mess around with it this weekend.

-Chris

Didn't,get much done guys but will post some trials, tomorrow in a darker settings. Cool? Keep looking up how they do I,g lights

-Chris

i have a friend that did that. the lighting tape. he made me a light but my light burnt out really fast. like in a couple weeks. went from cant look at it at all to being able to stare at the lights with them on. i think his have held up better though.

on a side note how do you light a tank that is deeper say 55 or 29? is it just use more led or something else? 

Just one strip? I am messing With multiple strips to see what I cab do. I like them so far.

-Chris

• 1 month later...