Hey from Arlington Texas

Freeflow

Hello and welcome - I am new to the shrimping thing myself :)

Substrate needs depend on the type of shrimp you want to keep. Neocaridinas (aka neos) can usually be kept with inert substrate like gravel. Other types may need an active substrate but I only keep neos so someone will chime in and give you more info.

People tend to use soils for two reasons.

1- plants if desired

2- to lower ph for specific shrimp such as crs

Neos (Ie. cherry shrimp) are able to use inert substrates, so people tend to use sand or blasting sand or whatever.  Gravel is generally not used because babies can get caught in gravel, things can hide better in gravel, and food falls between and build up in gravel causing problems with water parameters.

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question as CrazyFishLady said neos can be kept in practically any substrate, regular gravel or sand is common. For softwater shrimp, Caridina, such as Bee shrimp or Crystal shrimp many people prefer active substrates such as ADA, Controsoil, Brightwell, etc.. to buffer the water pH to make it acidic. It is not "required" for any type of shrimp though.

Welcome Freeflow! Glad to have you and welcome to the world of shrimp.