Just Bought a UPS for My Air Pump

After reading the horrible tragedy that happened to Sbarbee, I decided that I needed to buy a UPS for my tanks.  I was wondering if anyone else has these for their tanks? A generator is one thing but having the piece of mind of the automatic switch over with no interruption of the air pump is great. I got this UPS unit 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001985SWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This UPS is small but from what I can find for specs it looks like the Tetra Whisper im using draws about 2.5 watts and looks like the UPS should run that pump for a couple days.

When I bred ball pythons in the past, I had quite a large UPS inline to my incubator.  Not sure if it ever kicked in but I slept better knowing it was hooked up.  When I moved, I hooked it inline with my sump pump.  It eventually started displaying an error and I assune it's shot now.   

I'd just keep an eye on it and test it once in a while.  Personally I have stocked Sochting Oxydators in case of an extended power outage.

After reading the horrible tragedy that happened to Sbarbee, I decided that I needed to buy a UPS for my tanks.  I was wondering if anyone else has these for their tanks? A generator is one thing but having the piece of mind of the automatic switch over with no interruption of the air pump is great. I got this UPS unit 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001985SWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This UPS is small but from what I can find for specs it looks like the Tetra Whisper im using draws about 2.5 watts and looks like the UPS should run that pump for a couple days.

According to the chart on their site, it should run ~15 hrs after power outage for your 3w pump since it has 3 back up batteries.  (One battery is ~5 hrs for 3 watts.)  Check out their graph: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE350G

Thanks Bryce I didnt find specs for this smaller unit, I was originally looking at the next size up. So regardless if the power goes out I will have half a day of power before its shot. We actually have a whole house generator but turn it on manually, and only if the power is out for a  couple hours and appears like it will be for an exteneded time.

very cool idea. but not sure something like that would work for people with larger pumps like Bruce, Erik, Steve, and myself.  remember Steve said 2 days he was unable to check in on his tanks. 

I really dont know if there is a solution for larger scale operations beyond an automatic generator and some sort of alarm/notification/etc.

Yeah this would not be practical for large set ups unfortunately. I only have three tanks at home so in my case it will get me through a few hours or we turn on the generator. They make large UPS systems which I would imagine would be the same price as a whole house generator unit with an automatic transfer switch.

When my power went out last year I was borrow a 1500VA UPS from work to run a couple of air pumps. I had to carry it up 16 flights of stairs but it was better than nothing. In the end it only lasted less than 24 hours - we were powerless for almost a week. I think my Oxydators saved most of my shrimps so I unless I get a generator, I am putting money into Oxydators.

I think I will also invest in some oxydators as well. I wanted something seamless that could take take over in the event of short power outages. In my area we tend to lose power frequently in the summer time during thunder storms.

I think I will also invest in some oxydators as well. I wanted something seamless that could take take over in the event of short power outages. In my area we tend to lose power frequently in the summer time during thunder storms.

I may be wrong about this but sochting oxydators are pretty much no more than a jar of h2o2 on a plate.

I believe the jar is slowly releasing h2o2 and the ceramic is so that h2o2 can dissolve before any shrimp, fish can touch the h2o2.

If that is so, I'm sure there's a DIY for this rather than paying $10-$15 each.

I may be wrong about this but sochting oxydators are pretty much no more than a jar of h2o2 on a plate.

I believe the jar is slowly releasing h2o2 and the ceramic is so that h2o2 can dissolve before any shrimp, fish can touch the h2o2.

If that is so, I'm sure there's a DIY for this rather than paying $10-$15 each.

You are wrong.

I believe you can do a DIY but you'll need a catalyst to keep the peroxide splitting into water and oxygen reaction going.

I've done a diy method before using a Canadian glass club soda bottle, small airhose, those metal plant anchors, and the atom diffuser. I had it in the tank for a long time but didn't notice anything different than tanks just sponge filter aerating the water. I ended up stopping it because the constant upkeep became too much for little to no results.

Poopians PM if you need more info.

ya the concept and DIY is fairly simple.. just need a bottle or small container, some H2O2, a piece of lead and something to keep it from floating away.  

The lead is what reacts with the H2O2 to product oxygen.  the ceramic base is mainly there to keep it from floating away.  it is up to the end user to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ for look and fit / finsih of a manufactured product or not.  I have them in all my tanks and either one will do the job - I am just willing to pay more for the look of the soching oxydators as well as the time saved for ready to go product.  I am sure with some research and time you can source the material required to produce a nice DIY version. 

Either way regardless of which one you go with they will both come in handy when there is a power outage

I don't mind DIY when it doesn't look DIY, that one looks like a POS.

Wow.  Even though I didn't do the write up, that was kinda...harsh. heh  It can look as nice as you like it as the concept stays the same.  It can also go out of the tank and just have the tube run in.

While I really like the idea of the sochting oxydators, $15-90 ea. gets costly when one has multiple tanks.  This diy is able to be done for less than a couple bucks ea, and that includes the H2O2.

I would rather pay the $15 for a nice looking well designed unit than that terrible looking soda bottle rocks and air line tubing. I just wont pay for oxydator solution, that is a waste.

Trust me, you might say that if you're buying one but if you're buying for say 10 tanks, thats $150. It adds up really fast. Unless friends are coming over to see your tanks, I don't see why it needs to be well designed.

Trust me, you might say that if you're buying one but if you're buying for say 10 tanks, thats $150. It adds up really fast. Unless friends are coming over to see your tanks, I don't see why it needs to be well designed.

Different priorities for different folks, I like to have a certain look to my tanks and the DIY oxydator isn't included.  When you're spending $150 on a pair of shrimp, I'm not blinking on an extra $15 for an oxydator.

Wow.  Even though I didn't do the write up, that was kinda...harsh. heh  It can look as nice as you like it as the concept stays the same.  It can also go out of the tank and just have the tube run in.

While I really like the idea of the sochting oxydators, $15-90 ea. gets costly when one has multiple tanks.  This diy is able to be done for less than a couple bucks ea, and that includes the H2O2.

Sorry, I was just trying to stick to a 3 letter acronym....LOL