Just Bought a UPS for My Air Pump

So.... aside from all the friendly banter ;) would those methods (either the DIY or the pretty one) really actually give enough oxygen for the shrimp to survive a power outage?

I was meaning to post, asking what people use. I don't lose power often (although 3 years ago lost it for 5 days during a horrible storm) so it is not cost effective for me to get a generator. I like the UPS but I have one tank in two rooms, so I would need two... again cost.

I like "knowing how" to do the DIY and might get those things so I have them on hand, but I do like the pretty ones (with only 2 tanks I can say that :) )  the question is... at least mine... is the output truly enough to save the shrimp?

ok, I just did some looking around and I am getting a few of these azoo battery ones. $5 each... looked on youtube and found a review that said after 48 hours it was still going strong with 2 D batteries.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3693  Some of the reviews had people that said that they hooked it up directly to their sponge filters

And - who jinxed me?? My power has now flickered 3 times since reading this - I kid you not.. great... freaking out now. lol

OMG that was awesome greenteam!! Of course this won't do what the OP said and save them if the power goes out while I am away :( but it's a start. When I get it I'll hook it up in a bucket or something, with a sponge filter, and test a set of D batteries to see how long and how well it really lasts

So.... aside from all the friendly banter ;) would those methods (either the DIY or the pretty one) really actually give enough oxygen for the shrimp to survive a power outage?

I was meaning to post, asking what people use. I don't lose power often (although 3 years ago lost it for 5 days during a horrible storm) so it is not cost effective for me to get a generator. I like the UPS but I have one tank in two rooms, so I would need two... again cost.

I like "knowing how" to do the DIY and might get those things so I have them on hand, but I do like the pretty ones (with only 2 tanks I can say that :) )  the question is... at least mine... is the output truly enough to save the shrimp?

Mine did. I lost power late last year for 5+ days: freak incident - underground electrical fire that took out several city blocks; the damage was extensive and thousands of people got displaced as it was right in the downtown core with a bunch of high rise condos

At time i had around 10 tanks ranging from 10gal to 33gal.  Almost all of them had oxydators; That wasn't the reason why I got them - I ordered a bunch a couple years ago just kept using them.  All of them except for my 33gal tiger tank were fine. My 23gal PRL cull tank had 500+ shrimps and one mini oxydator and there weren't too many shrimps hanging out at the top of the tank grasping for oxygen and no deaths that I can see

In hindsight i think my tiger tank didn't fair too well for a couple reasons:

1) smaller surface area relative to volume

2) i did a big water change the day of the power outage - so i probably took out the oxygen rich water and replaced it with new, not so oxygen rich water

3) oxydator were too small - only had a couple of mini's in it

and yes if you only got a couple of tanks battery-operated air pumps are nice to have around as well. : )

It is apparent that many of you more experienced shrimpers lean towards heavy oxygenation.

I'm just a little confused, because so many people keep shrimps in jars, with plants, and no other oxygenation.

For outages during the summer, I would be a lot more concerned about oxygenation, not to mention temps. Plus, whatever you can do to keep the BB alive, so putting the battery pump on a sponge filter sounds good.

It is apparent that many of you more experienced shrimpers lean towards heavy oxygenation.

I'm just a little confused, because so many people keep shrimps in jars, with plants, and no other oxygenation.

For outages during the summer, I would be a lot more concerned about oxygenation, not to mention temps. Plus, whatever you can do to keep the BB alive, so putting the battery pump on a sponge filter sounds good.urgh

urgh... I would never keep any of my shrimps in jar or even a small tank without any filter...

I remember someone absolutely gloating about how they dont use filters, never do water changes etc and have super healthy shrimp. That makes me cringe, you can keep a cat in a house with plenty of food and never change its litter box and will still be fine but its just a disgusting mess that is not fair to the poor animal.

Yes, I realize most wouldn't keep CRS, TB etc in small containers. Nor do I, with my RCS.

I guess I was just wondering how much oxygenation shrimp really need, and what contribution plants can make.

What happens when shrimp are shipped in bags, for several days?

I am not trying to be contrary in any way, just trying to understand more.

But, better safe than sorry, of course.

35ppt - I completely agree that there is a lot of conflicting info for newbies about even the most basic things.

I heard, often, that oxygen was the big MUST so I've went with that :) My bettas can go to the top and gulp air but I do know that in the wild they are in moving water (shrimp) that produce oxygen so it would make sense that they might not do so well in stagnant water. I do have filters in with my bettas but the current has to be very low with them

I really thought I was prepared for a power outage - Hurricane Sandy taught me otherwise. I now have one of the battery air pumps, and I'm thinking about oxydators vs. a stockpile of batteries. I know a lot of the processes are dependent on oxygen.

• 1 month later...

So I came home from work yesterday and the power had been off for over two hours. Reallly glad I invested in that UPS! The power was off for over four hours and the pump was running strong the whole time, this was agreat test to the system. I started thinking I might invest in a much larger UPS when summer time comes. I would really like the peace of mind that my pump will run for a day on backup if I am out of town. I highly reccomend a UPS for someone who only has a few small tanks to run they are worth it !  Needless to say a $50 backup could save over $700 in shrimp.

I am SO glad your shrimp were saved! I feel almost bad only having my battery ones on stand by, they certainly wouldn't help in that situation. :(

I have 3 shrimp tanks, none of them are close to each other to all share one though (and not really an option in my current situation) so I would need 3 and just can't afford it. 

My hope is... they can survive a week in a bag and a box being shipped, I can only hope they could make it until I could get home to set up the battery ones. If not.. I will have only myself to blame and despise... sigh  Then again I am rarely gone more than 9 hours for work. I'm a home body.