Tank questions

WaterBugg

The cheapest substrate on the market is Akadama soil. It is actually a soil for bonsai tree but shrimp keepers using it as a cheap alternative to expensive active substrates. Here in uk it cost around £1 for 1 kg including delivery if you buying a big bag. I'm using it in one of my tank and it lowering ph to 6.4. I read on the forums it has a long life span and can last up to 2,5 years compare to expensive brand it has the longest life. I didn't have a chance to check It yet but I have it for 6 months and it works very well. I still have left half of the bag an I will definitely going to use it again when I set up a new tank.

Technically you can use sand, RO water with remineralizer and peat and that will get you to the pH you need for crystal and TB. I have a 10g tank right now with that set up and pH is steady at 6.2

I was thinking of switching from ADA aquasoils but the buffering lifespan of the alternatives don't sound too enticing, I put a lot of work in the initial set up of my tanks and I would hate to have to re do them every year or so.  Up here in Canada ADA aquasoils are probably the cheapest readily available active soil and I really don't mind the 4+ week cycle time, I cycled my last tank for nearly 8 weeks to ensure sufficient biofilm.   

Late to the conversation, but if anyone is still looking for Akadama double red line, I believe it is available from online orchid/bonsai supply sites such as repotme. It is not cheap in the US, nor is it easy to find.

Ok next question I have a lot of driftwood and ial I like that it lowers the ph it would be very high other wise but is there a way to get rid of some of the color not all but it's pretty dark

Purigen would remove tannins, however I'm pretty sure it would remove them completely unless you use smaller amounts.......