Anyone Use Only Sponge Filters for Bee, Crstal or Tiger Shrimp ?

I am curious if anyone uses stricltly sponge filters for more sensitive shrimp like TB, Cyrstal or tiger shrimp.  I am looking to add another tank for a special project and for many reasons I was considering using a double sponge filter only.  This tank will be 7.5g and will house sligtly more sensitive shrimp than neos but I am also not super concerned about them if something bad happens. Just looking for some feedback on your experiences.

Taiwan breeder F&N Shrimp Studio does it.

It had one article on FB, but it's in Chinese.

Dobby is working on English version but not available yet.

-蝦子有問題-

你們的問題就是大家的問題~小弟不敢自稱專家~
只能以小弟長期累積下來的養蝦經驗做解答分享,讓更多新蝦友有機會更了解水晶蝦
如果您有更好的看法或解答請不要吝嗇請告知小弟讓彼此來交流學習!!

好讓我們正式開始 
-蝦子有問題- 來吧!!

Q1. 為什麼五九蝦場你們要選擇使用"水妖精"養殖?

來參觀過五九蝦場的朋友們都知道,我們100多個蝦缸(尺寸60*45*40)都是使用"兩隻水妖精"養殖。
那為什麼只用水妖精?
我先說優點
1.水質其實穩定,因為容易找到缸子的問題----對我們而言蝦缸設備東西越多要顧的東西越多,出問題的時候越難找到問題點。 如果只用水妖精的話很簡單就只要顧好你缸子過濾的核心,就是水妖精的那兩顆"腎"就對了(我都把水妖精的那兩顆綿比喻為腎,因為他就像我的腎一樣重要)!!
2.清洗整理方便----洗110個圓筒?雖然不常洗但真的是太耗體力了!洗水妖精就輕鬆愉快多了!!
3.成本---這是重點,在資金有限的情況下,一個圓筒跟兩個水妖精價差是很多的。

再來就是缺點了
1.溫度的掌控較難----用水妖精養殖的方式,基本上就要搭配室內空調去控制水溫在理想的溫度,因為少了圓筒的動力馬達所以基本上無法使用冷水機。
2.太省錢了----你就會想要把原本買其他設備的錢拿去再擴一缸
或是買新的蝦。這時候你的家人就會開始好奇說為什麼缸子好像會自然繁殖2缸生3缸最後很容易家庭革命!!(這是真的)

相信看到這裡很多人就有問題了!
【那我適合用水妖精養嗎?】
必須室內溫度穩定(讓溫度都在24~26為佳)所以說這種養法以台灣氣候來說勢必要搭配空調才洽當。 
【那我現在該改用水妖精養嗎?】
您的缸子現在穩嗎?
1.如果穩請不要改,因為買缸子很簡單,但讓缸子穩很難所以您現在有個珍貴穩定的缸子了就請不要改他了,也恭喜您已經有一套自己養得起來的養法了。(我絕對沒有鼓勵你買新缸子來試水妖精養法喔。)
2.如果不穩很久了又找不到原因,那您不妨試看看!!或許您會在水妖精的那兩顆腎上面找到讓你養蝦興奮的腎上腺素喔!!
【水妖精養可以養很多嗎?】
以缸子尺寸60*45*40配兩隻水妖精來說,養700隻成蝦是沒問題的!!!再超過我沒試過!!!我覺得那太變態了~我怕人擠人的地方所以我覺得我蝦子應該也不喜歡!!
我一般缸子都會以100~180隻母蝦配20~40隻公蝦做種蝦,這種密度對我來說最為合適且繁殖穩定。

OK!!那最後就來分享一下Five & Nine 五九蝦場的設缸方式
》設備《
1.兩呎缸60*45*40(不一定要這SIZE)
2.雙腎形水妖精兩隻(預算夠的人 個人推薦使用Tetra 我們最近也要全面換成Tetra的了 因為過濾綿的密度且本身比較不容易阻塞)
3.黑土(目前是使用PowerHouse, 各種土都可以用 ,我們用過ADA PowerHouse 亞馬遜二代土 Nisso 都可以搭配水妖精養法,差別在於崩解速度 跟 肥力 以及設缸之後水清的速度 )
4.打氣機
》開始《
1.倒土鋪平(3cm左右即可)
2.放水(蝦場水源使用三胞胎白棉→活性碳→弱酸軟水樹酯 )
3.水放至理想高度
4.裝上水妖精啟動打氣機(新的水妖精綿清洗之後再使用)
5.加入硝化菌+濃縮微生物酵素(用自己覺得最有用的菌就好,不一定要用我的)而濃縮微生物酵素是補充蝦缸水體一些不足的微生物營養源所以我在設缸以及平日都還是會添加。
6.開心等缸子養水了正常的話1個禮拜~3個禮拜之後就可以放入蝦觀察蝦況了。

以上就是 Five & Nine 五九蝦場 
-蝦子有問題- 
Q1. 為什麼五九蝦場要使用"水妖精"養殖?
的解答分享~
也歡迎各位有問題再詢問我們。
希望大家都可以開心地養蝦~
讓更多人可以享受到繁殖 鑑賞 水晶蝦的樂趣~

Based on Google translate:

- Shrimp has a problem -

Your problem is common - I'm not expert but let me share my experience ~
I can only share my experience I gained during keeping and breeding shrimp for years, to help more new friends have the opportunity to learn more about how to keep and breed shrimp
If you have a better view or answers, please do not hesitate to contribute here !!

So let's start:
- Shrimp has problems - alright !!

Q1. Why Five&Nine shrimp studio chooses to use only sponge filter?

Friends who had visited Five&Nine shrimp studio all know, that we have more than 100 shrimp tanks (size 60cm * 45cm * 40cm) are using only two sponge filter.
So why only uses sponge filter?

Let me talk about the advantages
1. Water parameters are very stable, because it is easy to find the problem ---- for us if we have more shrimp tank equipment then more things need to be taken care of and more things could go wrong, it's harder to find real issue. If only using sponge filter, then it is very simple as long as good care of your filtering media, which are two sponges (I always take two sponges as kidney, because it is like the kidney to everybody, so very important) !!
2. Easy to clean ---- clean 110 canisters? It takes lots of time to clean canister even I did it occasionally ! Cleaning sponge filter is much easier !!
3. Cost --- which is the key point, with limited funds, the money to buy a canister can buy lots of sponge filter.

Now is the disadvantage of the sponge filter
1. Temperature control is more difficult ---- when using sponge filter, you have to use air conditioning of the room to control the water temperature at the desired temperature, you can't use chiller without canister or water pump.
2. Too cheap ---- the money you saved let you want to setup another tank or buy some new shrimp. so it loos like the tank would multiple itself.

When you read here, you may wonder.
[should I try sponge filter in my tank?]
Indoor temperature must be stable (Keep room temperatures between 24C to 26C is better) so in Taiwan air conditioning is must.

[should I switch over to sponge filter?]
Is you tank stable??
1. If you tank is stable, please do not change, because buying a new tank is very simple, but it's very difficult to make stable, so you now have a precious stable tank, please do not change, and also congratulations that you find your own way to run the shrimp tank (I did not encourage you to buy a new tank to test the sponge filter method.)
2. If you can not find the cause of instability of your shrimp tank for a long time now, then you might try it!! Maybe you'll find something to make your excitement!!
[Can I keep lots of shrimp with sponge filter?]
To tank size is 60 * 45 * 40 with two sponge filters, I keep 700 adult shrimps without problem !!! more than that I haven't tried !!! I don't like it personally - I'm terrifying crowded places so I think I should not keep shrimp that way!!
I would generally put 100 to 180 females with 20 to 40 males to start a new tank. to me this is most appropriate density and breeding stable.

OK !! Last I would share the way to setup shrimp tank at Five & Nine shrimp studio

"Equipment"
1. The two-foot tank 60cm * 45cm * 40cm (not necessarily this SIZE)
2. Kidney-shaped sponge filter two pieces (I personally recommend using Tetra sponge filter if budget is not issue. We recently have replaced all our sponge filters with Tetra because of the density of the filter sponge and are less likely to clog itself)
3. Black Soil (currently using the PowerHouse, all kinds of soil can be used, we used the ADA AS, PowerHouse, ControSoil, Nisso II, the difference is how long the soil lasting, rich in nutrition and how soon the water can be cleaned.)
4. Air pump

"Begin"
1. Pour soil into tank and level it (3cm thick or so is good)
2. Add water (Our studio uses 3 stage water filtering system, sediment filter, activated carbon, softener resin)
3. Fill water to the desired height
4. Place sponge filters and start the air pump (Rinse the new sponge before use)
5. Add nitrifying bacteria + concentrated microbial enzymes (any brand is fine, not have to use m9) and concentrated microbial enzyme prompts biofilm and provides nutrient source to shrimp so I setup the tank and add it daily.
6. Wait for the tank cycled - after three weeks you can add test shrimp.

Thanks James, I like how they refer to "water fairy and water goblins" that made me chuckle. Even though the translation is a little rough I get the idea and it does make sense. The simpler the system the least likely one component will go wrong. Murphys Law. I am planning thins tank to be very basic just a light, sponge filter, and substrate maybe some moss and cholla logs.

Thanks James, I like how they refer to "water fairy and water goblins" that made me chuckle. Even though the translation is a little rough I get the idea and it does make sense. The simpler the system the least likely one component will go wrong. Murphys Law. I am planning thins tank to be very basic just a light, sponge filter, and substrate maybe some moss and cholla logs.

水妖精 = Sponge filter,I will try to clean it up.

Excellent thanks James, Andy and I have been discussing this topic for the last few days and I think I will try this on my tank. In the end I dont really have much to lose the only thing I need to purchase is another double sponge filter and the couple dollars to do so is not going to break the bank.

I love how they insist they're not suggesting that you set up a new tank expressly to test just using a sponge ... and how they are like "it's actually a drawback that they are so cheap to set up, you feel like you can set up too many tanks" - hilarious. Love it.

I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. The more stuff you have that can break, the more WILL break. I don't think I have ever seen a sponge filter break.

Interesting what he says about temperature stability. I never really thought about that before. I have a tank in an uninsulated garage and it can get cold in our Canadian winters. I usually have to double up two 100w eheims to keep things stable. Maybe ditching the sponge during the winter will help to keep the temp up.

Not for me but I also set up tanks with UGFs and like to use oxygen diffusers on the outlets.  I did set up a sponge filter as supplemental filters in 2 of my tanks but not in my latest display tank.

• 2 weeks later...

We run only sponge filters for 18 25 gal tanks setup with MK Breed style. The tanks on the racks houses CRS, CBS, Fancy Tiger, Black Pintos,Red Pinto, Blue Panda, MK Breed PRLs, Blue Bolts, Ghost Bees, Tangerine tigers, Super Tigers, Mischlings, galaxy Tiger, Bloody Mary, Blue Dreams, and Amanos. All are doing really well and I also feel the initial set up contributes to the success of being able to use sponge filters only.