Help with water parameters?

I got my API master testing kit today, so I tried out all the tests. pH was undoubtedly really hard to tell and I can only guess that it's between 7-7.6, because I can't be certain. Ammonia seemed to be at 0 or 0.25ppm. Nitrite was 0 ppm as well. Nitrate was pretty high though. The results were bright red and it seemed like 40 ppm. I do partial water changes at least once a week though, and I actually just changed some water yesterday. I did my nitrate test again and go the same results, and I actually shook the hell out of it. I'll post the updated one later. I know people say the pH isn't accurate for API but it's all I have. Thanks!

Here's a summary of the test results again:

pH: 7-7.6

Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 40ppm

Can you guys tell me if these results are okay? I know ammonia isn't but I'm not sure about pH. I have red and yellow shrimp (neos). Thanks

The API nitrate test is notoriously picky about the process. Make sure to shake up number two for a solid minute and shake the mixture for another minute, then let rest for exactly 5 minutes. If you don't follow the process exactly and consistently, your readings can be all over the place. I have calibrated my testing to a standard Nitrate solution and is very accurate when the steps are done right.

In my experience, the ammonia test almost always shows a tiny bit of ammonia even when none is present.

The pH test is generally accurate compared to my pH pen but it can look very different under different lighting. Incandescent is usually best.

I did make sure that I followed the procedures really carefully. I timed all my steps. If my nitrate level was at 40ppm, would my shrimp still be living?

They will still be living but miserable. They probably won't breed, you should try and cut that in half.

have a gneiss day

I would do small ( 10 % water changes) each day if it were my tank.

Okay. Thanks for the advice! Do I just suck up water from any part of the tank or should I aim for the bottom so I get some of the poop out as well?

Get some Purigen and add plants. Within maybe a week to a month depending on amount of plants, Nitrates will be 0-5 ppm

If you aim for bottom to get some poop, don't stick it into the substrate but just hover above it.

I did try hovering about it, but I never sucked up the poop because the substrate kept getting in the suck.

Daily small water changes to get it under control and use a floater to keep it in check. Frogbit, salvinia minima or mini water lettuce are good choices for a shrimp tank. As a bonus, the roots are another surface area for the shrimp to play in.

Do the plants have to be the floating ones with roots? I think it's really messy if it covers the surface of the tank because I won't be able to see clearly. Can I just put more java moss in?

Do the plants have to be the floating ones with roots? I think it's really messy if it covers the surface of the tank because I won't be able to see clearly. Can I just put more java moss in?

You want a plant that grows fast to such up the nitrate. You don't need to keep them forever. But for a couple of months until other plants can keep it low.

have a gneiss day

You want a plant that grows fast to such up the nitrate. You don't need to keep them forever. But for a couple of months until other plants can keep it low.

have a gneiss day

Do plants with roots deal with nitrates faster? And in that case, can I just get any plants in the aquatic shop with roots? And how should I plant them in?

Floating plants are the best nitrate sponges because they are not CO2 limited and they are 100% water column feeders. Other plants and mosses will do the job too just not as fast.

Floating plants are the best nitrate sponges because they are not CO2 limited and they are 100% water column feeders. Other plants and mosses will do the job too just not as fast.

Oh... Thanks for the information. Are all floating plants from aquatic shops good for a shrimp tank? Or are there any ones that I need to avoid? This is because they might not have the names in English.

If you get plants from shops, rinse them well.  Sometimes they'll use pesticides to make sure of no snails, etc.  Unfortunately, most things harmful to snails are harmful to shrimp as well.

Since I have to condition my tap water and the bucket I use isn't very big, can I rinse the plant in tap water first and then rinse it in the conditioned water before putting it in the tank?