Cooling shrimp tanks in the summer - ideas?

Just looking for ideas, feedback, DYI/bought (cheap) etc.

I had found a video on making a 'shield' wrap type device with car sun shades...

I also know you can just take the top off and point fans at it, but that isn't always easy with where the tank is (having a spot to set a fan).

I also found this. Has anyone tried one of these? I realize it's 'just a fan' but just looking for thoughts/feedback

http://www.marinedepot.com/Zoo_Med_Aqua_Cool_Aquarium_Cooling_Fan_Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighting-Zoo_Med-MZ12013-FILTACAF-vi.html?utm_source=MarineDepot.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a7fcffda38-Keep_it_cool_and_under_control5_4_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8741a9ea99-a7fcffda38-225127773&mc_cid=a7fcffda38&mc_eid=d9bd75f97a

Timely post.   We had our first really warm day here in NH Yesterday and my 5 gallon tank went from 70 to 74.   I guess what they say about it being hard to keep small volume tanks stable is right.  

Anyway, this is what I use.  I used one last year on my 20 gallon all summer and I went to walmart today and bought one for the 5 gallon.    They work great.    It comes with a base too so you can just stand it up and tilt it down.

On the 20 gal, I clip it to the side, on the five gallon I have it standing up on the edge of the tank pointing down. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Principal-2-In-1-6-Desk-Clip-Fan/42206307

I have these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800995115&cm_re=usb_fan-_-00-995-115-_-Product

Benefits?

You can just use one charger connected to a USB hub so basically you can power as many of these as you can depending on how many USB ports are on your hub. 

Easy placement and can be extended with cables for connecting.

Uses very little space.

I bought some cheap 80mm USB fans from Amazon and made a frame out of 1/2" square dowel rods to hold them.  I used 2 pair but think 1 would have been enough.  I added some plastic mesh to keep my cat from trying to use the tank as a water dish :).  

Full_Size_Render_7.jpgFull_Size_Render_5.jpgFull_Size_Render_8.jpg

I'm glad you made this thread. This is the first time warm weather has rolled around since I started a shrimp tank and my 5 gallon went from 72 to 76 :(

I like the look of those USB fans but I feel like rushing over to walmart and getting a clip fan in the mean time.

Poopians, how did you mount those fans?

That is a lot of filtration!

LOL, That is my first shrimp tank and I didn't want to have too little filtration.  I figured you can't have too much :).  

I have even more on my 29G CRS tank (3 x HOBs, a canister and a sponge filter).  On the 45cm cube I am cycling now I only have a canister.  So I am learning ;).

I thought about using a PC liquid cooling radiator as a way of cooling my tank but I have yet to find one that doesn't have copper lines running through it. Would be nice to find one to try my idea out.

My neo tank is only 5 gallons. I ended up getting a USB powered fan like the one Poopians linked to. It looks the same except it has a base

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800995213&cm_re=arctic_cooling-_-00-995-213-_-Product

So far, so good. It took the temp from 80 to 76. My room temp is currently 80. I don't have the a/c on yet.

ok - please excuse this sometimes technically challenged old lady but... those have USB ports??? I need something that plugs in to my power strip, or am I missing something (which I probably am,, lol)

ok - please excuse this sometimes technically challenged old lady but... those have USB ports??? I need something that plugs in to my power strip, or am I missing something (which I probably am,, lol)

For the USB fans you will need a USB power adapter like this one.  

31Ij3uEWvkL.jpg

Yeah, I guess these are meant for plugging into your computer so you have a nice little cooling fan :P

All I did was use a little USB adapter so I could plug it into the power strip. You know, like the ones that come with cell phones.

Yeah, like that one ^ :)

I have it set up very crudely for the time being.

Since my tank has a glass lid, I just lay the lid sideways so that it's only covering about 30% of the top now. Ive placed the fan on the lid and have it facing into the water. Or you could stack some books next to the tank I guess :P

Honestly, I think Poopians fans might work better. They're cheaper and I suppose you could use a clip or tape to mount them on the side of tank. I don't know if vibrations from the fans would be bad for the tank though

I'm sure others here have more elegant solutions.

House temp is 79f. I left the fan on all night and my tank was at 72 this morning. I just hope the temp fluctuations haven't been too stressful on my neos

Am I the only one who keeps tanks in a basement? The hottest the basement has ever gotten in the summer was 72 so I have to run heaters all year. BTW I keep my tank at 76-78F for breeding.