just sharing a bit of frustration

My mischling tank that I have struggled with so badly  is making me sad again.  I was very excited to have licked a bacterial infection and had my females berrying up like crazy. I went through a period of one berrying about every 3 -4 days. 

However... now I seem to have an issue with baby survival .    4 mommas have had their babies.   but I am seeing almost no babies.  They seem to be living for a few days and then disappearing.    I know there is plenty of food as the tank is heavily planted and well matured.  

The parameters seem right.  

Nitrates  0

kh

Gh 4 -5

Ph 6.4  

TDS 130

I can't figure out what could be wrong .  It is disheartening.  

My one thought  is the large bloom of hair algae.  The shrimp  were really loving it.  At any one time, there would be 7 or 8 shrimp crawling through it and at least 2 of the mommas had their babies in it.   I could see lots of babies the next day buried in the hair algae but I kept wondering..  How can those small weak creatures move in that stuff.  It is dense.   Could they have just gotten caught in it unable to move and just died?  

Thinking about that, I tore the tank apart today and pulled out all the hair algae.  I had hoped to find lots of babies living in it but I only found one .  

I have also noticed the berries have stopped now for 2 weeks.  That seems to sync with the really hot weather we had 2 weeks ago where the fans were on the tank and the water was evaporating.  I had to top off each day. I wonder if the disturbance was enough to "Ruin the mood"    

Anyway, I know there isnt much advice you can give.  This stuff is so individual  and the parameters look ok.   But I knew you would all understand how I was feeling today  so I decided to post.     :)   

Pic showing the plenty of plants for feeding and the big bloom of hair algae in the left corner  (gone now) 

post-451-0-66427000-1431810202_thumb.jpg

If you don't have a cover, params swing wildly with evap.  I also found a relation to hair algae and dead shrimp.  I *think* the algae may be using up the oxygen too fast.  I know some larger shrimp of mine and snails have gotten tangled up before in it and died.  Overall, I think you did the right thing by removing it.

I hope so Bryce. I ended up killing the pregnant skeleton shrimp.  You know how much i loved her and was so excited when she berried.  About 3 hours after all the tank work, I found her dead.    Devastated.  :(    I was ready to tear the tank down last night and give up.  And I am not a quitter. 

The tank does have a cover but I have to open it to attach the clip on fan.  

If you don't have a cover, params swing wildly with evap.  I also found a relation to hair algae and dead shrimp.  I *think* the algae may be using up the oxygen too fast.  I know some larger shrimp of mine and snails have gotten tangled up before in it and died.  Overall, I think you did the right thing by removing it.

didnt know water evaporation makes parameters swing wildly??? could be one reason affecting my shrimps survival... problem is i need a fan to keep my water temp around 28C. otherwise without the fan the water temp rises to 31 or 32... would just dumping frozen ice bottles work instead in cooling the water? 

I agree with Bryce, that you did the right thing pulling out the hair algae. After buying plants from multiple sources within the last 3-4 months two of my aquariums I filled with "Hair Algae", where I am in a constant battle of removal, as I always think the same, algae using up oxygen, and shrimp getting caught in it. These two tanks are being broken down within the next two weeks, simply to eliminate the hair algae or at least try.

Honestly parameters look good, nitrates are at 0 I am assuming because you use Purigen? I felt the same way, bummed, whenever I lost about x4 Adults TBs in about a month. Shrimp have a funny way of changing your mood swiftly, though I lost 4 adults, tested parameters (checked out great), I could not find a reason for their deaths. Now two months later I have about 5 times the TBs from babies I couldn't see grow up.

Hang in there. Keep asking us questions, and you will be back on track for sure.

Some people find this effective for them.

An effective way to minimize param swing when using fans for evap is to have an auto top off.

didnt know water evaporation makes parameters swing wildly??? could be one reason affecting my shrimps survival... problem is i need a fan to keep my water temp around 28C. otherwise without the fan the water temp rises to 31 or 32... would just dumping frozen ice bottles work instead in cooling the water? 

I bought this a while ago to do auto top-off. works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R28TO7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

James, would you be so kind as to share how you set this up, any pictures, etc........

Very interesting, wanna learn more :)

James, would you be so kind as to share how you set this up, any pictures, etc........

Very interesting, wanna learn more :)

It's common practice in Asia.

This is not my setup, but same idea. you need storage tank with RO water above, then run the tube to connect the float valve.

post-231-0-95502700-1431979024_thumb.jpg

Plain RO, because just pure water is evaporating. ;)

Place purigen in a bag in back of your sponge filter.  You want water movement to go by your purigen.

will get hold a a bag of purigen and stick it atop my sponge filter... :)

currently dont have access to those auto top up things for my tanks... would it be possible if i just measure the starting water level and measure the amount of water loss due to evaporation and just fill up with pure RO back to the starting water level?  i know it could be such a chore but better a chore than to lose your shrimps :)

God, this is a scary setup.  One of the se folat valves fails and your aquarium is toast with a huge mess on your floor.

That won't happen. you can have overflow just 1/4" above the auto top off water level.