Marina hang on breeder box

For those of you that use these for selective breeding and housing shrimplets, is a small box too small?

I'm going to purchase one so I can separate my mischlings from my TBs once they are born. I know the small is 0.2 gallons, the medium is 0.3 gallons, and the large is 0.5 gallons. There's not much difference in volume of water between the small and medium, but is the physical size that different?

I want the smallest box that will safely and comfortably house shrimplets for there first two or so weeks of life.

If anyone has pictures of their boxes next to their hand or a pop can so I can see the size comparison that would be awesome! Thanks in advance :)

Forgot to ask: I know the box is clear, but would it be beneficial to add a small light over it?

I plan on keeping some Java moss and a piece of cholla wood in it. I have a tiny clip on LED light intended for small betta jars. Would this work or is it not needed at all?

I have the small box and it is not small at all  :)  Plenty big enough for a couple shrimp for a day or two.    As for light, I guess it depends how dim an area your tank is in.  Moss doesnt need much light but if you can put a light on it easily with little fuss, I cant think of a reason not to do it. 

I really suggest getting the biggest box you can physically fit. The large comes with dividers so if you want to confine some shrimp to small quarters, you can. You can split it into two or three compartments. Having the large size gives you flexibility when plans change. I started using my large breeder box for selective breeding but now I use it for growing out different strains of moss and holding culls. I really appreciate having more space with the new purpose.

The light is from eBay hacked a bit to bypass the original power switch. I also had to put a couple sheets of paper under it to prevent algae.

breeder1.JPG

breeder2.JPG

I also suggest modding the airlift to a small water pump. You can get this one from eBay for less than $10 and it is an easy mod.
breeder3.JPG

I really suggest getting the biggest box you can physically fit. The large comes with dividers so if you want to confine some shrimp to small quarters, you can. You can split it into two or three compartments. Having the large size gives you flexibility when plans change. I started using my large breeder box for selective breeding but now I use it for growing out different strains of moss and holding culls. I really appreciate having more space with the new purpose.

The light is from eBay hacked a bit to bypass the original power switch. I also had to put a couple sheets of paper under it to prevent algae.

breeder1.JPG

breeder2.JPG

I also suggest modding the airlift to a small water pump. You can get this one from eBay for less than $10 and it is an easy mod.
breeder3.JPG

Thank you for the pictures! I may go with the medium instead of the small. It is probably better to get a larger one in case I want to selectively breed and hold babies at the same time. It would give me some flexibility as to what I could do with it. I have a Marineland light that looks like that and I also have a small LED betta light that grows plants pretty well for as small as it is. I think either would work. Thank you for the advice :)

I got it from eBay. Model JT-160.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC3-5-6V-Mini-Micro-Brushless-Submersible-Motor-Water-Pump-200L-H-1-2M-JT160-/190868714238

Wired into a 5VDC cell phone charger adapter. Perfect flow rate for this application.

Zip-tied a chunk of foam to the inlet.

Hi, may i know what the is propose that you put a pump into a breeding box ?

The pump is not inside the breeder box. It is in the tank, pumping water into the breeding box.

There is a couple reasons to replace the stock airlift. One is to increase the volume of water that flows through the box. The mosses grow a lot better with high flow. The second reason is noise. The stock airlift on the marina breeder boxes is extremely loud and I could hear the burping in the next room. The submersible pump is silent.