How to get rid of Hydra?

In all my years of fish keeping I have never experienced Hydra. I noticed two dead baby shrimp a couple days ago. I looked closer and one of my tanks have hydra. I have been receiving plants from a couple different people, so I'm not sure where they came from. The tank is a divided tank so only one half has hydra. How do I get rid of those annoying little things.

A lot of members here will recommend fenbendazole. It'll work for killing planaria and hydra but it'll also harm/kill snails as well. So, it would be bad for nerites or other snails you would want to keep.

I've personally used "No Planaria" from Genchem. It killed the few hydra I saw in my tank on the first dosage. This will also kill snails though.

Buy Paracur from Amazon.

Use 1/10 of 1 gram pack powder (222mg fenbendazole) to treat 10 gallon water.

Put it in tea  bag

Place tea bag in filter

Keep it for 3 days, remove tea bag, done.

removal snail before treatment.

F0F4459F-1E92-49F8-B19D-03C17DB9807A_zps

I used this (bought at Walmart) and it killed all the hydra since then.

As mentioned, only use a small amount 1/10 of 1 gram pack and remove all the snails...I notice after treatment my tank still have pond snails going around but if there's the one you love, better safe than sorry. All filters are iff during treament

My method is to get a small amount of the tank water and mix with 1/10 of the 1g pack...shake and wait 10min for it to dissolve (it's not completely dissolved but that's fine)...then I put the finish product to one of the clean syringe I have...squeeze it over all the hydras around the tank (you'll notice the hydra loosing its sting)...wait 15min and turn the filters back on. You won't see the result right away until the next morning...

My shrimps are still doing fine during and after the treatment but I read somebody saying it can mess up the breeding routine...mine are bearried after all!

It's hard to dissolve. so don't put in tank directly, no way to clean it after treatment.

I ordered some Panacur. I found the main source of the hydra because I had put that plant in another tank and it was filled with hydra. Luckily that tank has no hydra that I can see; however, I am still going to treat it. Should I treat all my tanks for just the two? I will remove my snails because I have some Rams. Thanks everyone for your help. I was paranoid about the Hydra because the tank is filled with berried females and shrimplets. I may just go to Walmart and get the Safe-guard instead of waiting 2-5 days. I forgot to add I have only Sponge filters which I noticed a lot of hydra on. Should I just scrap those and get new ones? Will the treatment effect the biofilm?

I ordered some Panacur. I found the main source of the hydra because I had put that plant in another tank and it was filled with hydra. Luckily that tank has no hydra that I can see; however, I am still going to treat it. Should I treat all my tanks for just the two? I will remove my snails because I have some Rams. Thanks everyone for your help. I was paranoid about the Hydra because the tank is filled with berried females and shrimplets. I may just go to Walmart and get the Safe-guard instead of waiting 2-5 days. I forgot to add I have only Sponge filters which I noticed a lot of hydra on. Should I just scrap those and get new ones? Will the treatment effect the biofilm?

No impact to biofilm.

I don't even do extra water change after treatment.

It will still dissolve, just takes more time.

That's the filler, not fenbendazole.

Fenbendazole:

Solubility: Insoluble in water (approximately 10-40 ppb)

I wonder how come mine tends to disappear then after a day or so?

I still have the Paracur, I can try it again.

About how long does it take to work. I just treated the tank. I put a pinch because each package is 2 grams. I took out my favorite rams.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came home from a weekend at the lake to two Father's Day presents, one good and one bad.

GOOD: My hockey stick pencil fish are winning the fight against my green flies

BAD: I'm now seeing a few hydra

I've ordered fish bendazole that will be here Tuesday, but out of panic I went ahead and bought dog de-wormer (safeguard 4) fenben. I'm dosing 0.2g (1/2 dose for 40 gallons) in tea bags in a cheap-o HOB, with lights and canister filtration both off. I'll report back here what results/catastrophe ensue.

Questions:

-If my canister filtration is off but still wet, how long can I safely leave it off without losing beneficial bacteria?

-should I go with 2 doses over 2-3 days and then run carbon?

-if so, how long should run carbon?

I forgot to post here, but my tank was completely clear of Hydra in 24 hours. I used about two pinches of a 2 gram package. I put some of the infested plants in a separate tub and let them soak for 24 hours. I only had sponge filters, so I'm sure about other filters. I keep my sponge filters in and running.

It looks like to me that a single dose of fenbendazole eliminated the hydra......I ran a second dose on day 2 just to ensure the job was done.  Shrimp seem to be fine.

I'm now wondering if I should run carbon, or if I should just leave things as is (lighting degrades the fenben already?)

If you have experience and could offer up guidance, please let me know if you think I should run carbon and for how long.

Thanks