Drops Shrimping stories

dr0p

Edited to add other tanks! Now featuring CRS, Mischling, and TB tank updates, and the full story behind the CRS Journey. 

Found a great deal on a Sera 15 Gallon Biotope Nano Cube w/ stand and couldn't pass it up. Finally have a system that looks sharp enough to have in my living room.

Haven't decided what to stock it with, I have a feeling it will probably become a TB/Mischling tank due to the colors they exhibit. I have a small start on the scape, but it will need more Cholla wood, and perhaps some ledges/hides and a more exciting moss than my java moss horde. We will see.  

Substrate is Brightwell Rio Escuro-F. Haven't used this before, but am excited to try it out.

Here is the rough starting point.

Now fellow shrimpers, give me your thoughts on what to stock it with!  

post-1971-0-02896200-1433929664_thumb.jp  

Nope! That's part of the reason I love the tank. The entire back wall is partitioned off into a 4 chamber filtration system. The lower grates you see actually slide open or closed to adjust flow into the sponge backed compartment, while the top most grate has a removable fine mesh netting behind it to prevent shrimp or fry from getting onto the top of the sponge and into the filter partition. I have a photo that may shed light better than an explanation. Compartments go sponge-heater-bio media-water pump to spray bar for return, with a ton of extra room in each. I can fit almost 3 liters of Sera Siporax into a single compartment. 

post-1971-0-80363900-1433965960_thumb.jp

Since you have dark substrate I would say something with white or bright coloration to give it some pop. I am not sure what your budget is, but I always find PRL or PBL look fantastic on dark substrate. 

From what I gather, indeed. It comes with damn near everything included-heater,sponge,water pump,bio media,Aquatan blackwater conditioner,bio kickstater,shrimp food, full spec lighting with cooling fan, care sheets. Extremely hard to find, but from the prices I've seen, I got the entire setup with custom stand, for about 1/2 the cost of JUST the stand. For once, luck was on my side.

Funny you mention it Deta, the CRS I got from you will probably get the nod, at least until the other tanks I'm outfitting come up to par and I snag some PRL/PBL. One of the few good things about being single and kidless still, a little extra to play with from time to time without guilt!

That would be a great contrast. Whatever you choose I look forward to more pictures.

Small update.

Found a great deal on some large Teddy Bear Cholla peices and they should be here and prepped for the tank by the end of the week.

Hope you bought from The Shrimp Tank. What size did you purchase?

I checked out The Shrimp Tank for the Teddy Bear Cholla, but they wanted $9 per 12" peice.=( I picked up 10 pieces of 12"+ length and 2"+ circumference for $20 shipped. A deal I couldn't pass up and hoping I can find again in the future.

The Teddy Bear Cholla came in today and it's gorgeous! The packing was outstanding(each peice individually bubble wrapped!), and they included an extra peice for free that is HUGE(pic 3)! I'll be ordering again for sure. Have added it to this tank, and 2 others. Tomorrow the fun begins, flood, starting the cycling, and updated pics!

post-1971-0-59193100-1435039273_thumb.jp

post-1971-0-92971800-1435039311_thumb.jp

post-1971-0-81932900-1435039332_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Small update with terrible tank pic - Tank still needs plants, and more moss, but it's been cycling. Pulled some sponge sludge and extra bio rings from another tank to help jump start it a few weeks back so it should be ready to go when I check the params in the coming days. Then water change/adjustments and a few brave explorers to test the new world to see if worthy of further study and colonization. Excited to get it settled and have movement and color.

Also recently came into a great deal on a Mr Aqua 12g long, so I have my next project to seek inspiration, shrimp, and space for. =P

post-1971-0-56625700-1437198346_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slacking on the updates. It's fully cycled and now home to 30+ extremely grateful CRS. The yellows were just in as testers, to make sure everything was shrimp safe. They have since been removed and rehomed in a fresh 10g that I just finished.

post-1971-0-82588100-1439205615_thumb.jp

post-1971-0-16041200-1439205669_thumb.jp

post-1971-0-43144700-1439205705_thumb.jp

Still need some better moss for it, and to add some ledges, but it's coming along nicely. The few visitors I have are engrossed when they see it, and almost all have asked if I could "help" them should they want to set up a shirmp tank in the future. Good, good.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update with some wonderful news. As of yesterday, 9/4, I now have 3 freshly berried CRS in this setup! Fantastic, considering they were moved into the tank just over a month ago. 

The mischling tank is going crazy. 3 new blue bolts, what looks to be another extreme KK, plus 2 girls berried again sometime overnight. I also managed to get a pic of one of the newest hatchlings...any thoughts as to what it is? Panda, Blue Jelly? I have a few that look just like it. 

post-1971-0-07019200-1441470785_thumb.jp

Loving the hunt for new arrivals each day!  

Congratulations! You must be doing something right! My guess would be a Panda, 9 times out of 10 these "Blue Jelly" shrimp will mature and the once blue turns to black.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the tank this morning, and to my surprise I have shrimplets! No idea how many, but they are the first of many to come! Let's hope this tank takes off like the mischling tank did!

• 1 month later...

Up's and downs with the 15g CRS tank. Had 4 females give birth, but sadly none of the babies made it past the first molt. Tweaked the tank and upped the GH a bit, and added more calcium and things have improved. I have another 3-4 females who are berried AGAIN, and due in the next week or 2. I'll be excitedly watching the progress and hoping they make it this time around.

The Mischling tank is exploding! The super batch of babies(5 females within a week!) are all growing well, and will be breeding size soon. I'm going to need a bigger tank! Checked the tank today and found 3 berried CRS mischlings, which is exciting as the other batch were all CBS Misch. The total from the first set of babies came out to 19!!! Shadow Pandas, one or two BB and KK, and something like 30-40 CRS/CBS/Goldens. I'm floored, and hoping for a repeat!

Working on getting a strictly TB tank set up, as they are almost as numerous as the mischlings already. Never dreamed of having this success so quickly. Deeper into the shrimping abyss I spiral, loving it!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks, figure I should stop by and update.

I'm still waiting on shrimplets in the 15g CRS tank, but they should be due any day now. Hoping this batch does better than the last.

While making the rounds this morning, I had quite a discovery. I found berried females in EVERY SINGLE tank. Extremely excited about this, as it's never happened at the same time, always one or 2. I knew the Barry White music would help! :-P I can't decide who I am most excited about, the OEBTs again-finally, or the Shadow Pandas.

At this point, at least I know i'm doing something right. Not just living, but thriving. I see many days in my future with my nose stuck to the glass, enjoying the various little worlds. I'll have to get some updated pics in the coming days.