call of duty and my parents

aquariumlover10

So I have been a call of duty fan for as long as I can remember, and my parents let me play it when I was young, then wouldn't let me play it when I got alittle older(so in there mind as I get older I am less mature??) and then about a year ago let me play again, then juts told me they don't like the gore(I play with gore turned down) and so I am wondering what all of you think about this, plz don't say anything like its rated M for a reason just play multilayer(no language and I play with gore off) so I have a counteract to their arguments about it, but if I tell them they will just make up something else, and I will get grounded. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Games are simple and pose no challenge these days. 

When I was your age I was playing Everquest 1 on dial up and every time you died you lost exp. Not to mention getting in trouble for hogging up the telephone line with the dial up connection that kicks you off if someone picked up the house phone lol.

My parents were strict too, until I was 16 the only music I could listen to was Christian music, no tv til I was 14, at the time I didn't like that but I don't feel like I missed out on anything now. I started playing with the first cod when I was a kid, it was one of the only games I had and it has changed a lot - it wasn't realistic and wsdnt nearly as violent so they have a right to have reservations. Don't be upset with them for that, they are trying to do what they feel is best

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Not to sound mean but honestly I dont think i would let my children play video games if I was a parent. They take up so much time and can be habit forming (the reason I try not play video games).

OMG  Greenteam.  And what about when they added class epics to EQ 1.   Do you remember WEEKS of camping each part and fighting hordes of other guilds to get the once a week spawn?    And what about when a raid instance didnt take a few hours to learn but months?     Or when a raid wiped at the bottom of a dungeon and you had to have rogues go in and drag 70 bodies up one at a time.   Those were the Days.  LOL  

AquariumLover.  Listen to and respect youe parents.  There is nobody in this world who cares more about your success and wellbeing .   Noone.   Plus, they have the years more life experience and the ability to see around corners that you don't have.  I am shocked by things that parents allow these days.  It is good to see yours are paying attention.  You will thank them someday .     :)

I'm 23 I grew up playing more cod then you could ever imagine my kid is 3 and I let him play halo every morning. When he turns 6 I'm going to leave him stranded in the ever glades to fend for him self for 2 weeks. Halo is just prep.

Many fond memories. I spent hours walking around exploring the world. I remember once someone ran a giant to the docks and when the ship pulled up to the dock he killed me and my body stayed on the boat and sailed all the way to the zone line and drop to bottom of the ocean. Had to sit and wait for a GM to come help.

Video games are the future, I will encourage my kid to hack learn and exploit. He is 3 and can beat halo reach and halo 3. He knows left and right and more phrases and comands than anyone close to his age. And most of all he protects his sister with no mercy.

I have been contemplating responding to this post, as I am a new dad to my son who will be two in August. He is still a bit young to play video games, or have the concept of them, but more importantly he can say "Shrimp!" already.

Eder, I started like your son, video games Come naturally to me, mostly fps games since that's one of the first I played, so this is kinda like taking one fast food chain out of America, alot of people will riot to bring it back(me) some think its better without(parents) others don't care(the rest of my family).

I know weird comparison but I just came up with it on the fly.

I have 3 children, all boys. Only 2 are still with us. 

I have seen video games evolve from pong (wow.. that was so awesome at the time) to the RPGWX...whatever... the games are now. ha ha I have sat and watched my boys play these visually amazing games. 

I even play computer games myself, a bit. My interests are more minecraft but I even play an online strategy game. It's a war game. lol

My boys are 27 and 16. They have run me through the gambit on the newest games and some disturbed me, at first (ok a few still do).

I rarely ever tell my boys "No... no discussion... no!" I allow them to sit and talk to me about it. I think it's a very important skill and helps them learn to communicate, compromise, understand other perspectives... the list goes on.

My 16 yo gets good grades, has been in a sport since he was 4, does his homework, etc. 

So, when he came to me about a game I did not want him to play, he knew how to come at me. He asked if we could have a discussion about it.

Yes... I encourage this. They have to be respectful, my ultimate decision is law, but I wanted to teach my boys how to organize their thoughts, not speak out in anger or storm off. The answer might be no, but I make sure they learn to communicate.

With all of that said, maybe you can ask them if it is something you can talk about. Be prepared for the answer to be no (and respect that) but maybe if you calmly ask if you could sit and discuss it they will see that as a positive. Then, be prepared (write it down before if needed) with reasons, thoughts and even extra chores you are willing to do or time limits you are willing to set. That shows a thought process and level of maturity right there.

Every parent parents different

And yes - my boys knows... for zombies... go for the brain :)  You have to have humor too

• 3 weeks later...

Crazyfishlady I can't help but like your style. Very well put.

AQ10, the last video game I played was Zelda. On Nintendo.....the original one...

However, I did hear a recent story about call of duty on NPR last week. Apparently their membership is going down, just 150 million users or so.... This world moves too fast for me! My dad had to take away the Nintendo several times because I got too mad at the games when I'd loose....ESPECIALLY to my younger cousin! I took those games way too seriously.

I'd say just be aware that that stuff CAN influence how you think and act. I think that it feeds into that angst/anger/awkwardness we feel (or felt) as teens. That's a tough friggin time of life I don't care what anyone else says. Been there, had green hair, wore a Che Guevara t-shirt.... When I was growing up the parental concearn centered around music. They weren't wrong

Being able to really talk to your parents (and have them really listen) is gold in my book. Doing my best to raise two lil girls and I answer their "Whys" every time they ask them. If I don't know, I tell them I don't know. I hate the phrase "because I said so", so I try to never deploy it.

Shrimp on people. I'm getting much too sappy.

AQ10,

Sorry to hear about the extent of your COD situation. As with shrimp rated issues, all we can do is offer our experience and support.

In my experience, I'd say try not to be too hard on your folks. I don't know them. Id have to assume that they are acting out of love and concearn for you. You have several more battles to go with expressing your own identity vs. that of your parents, try your best to choose those battles wisely.

On the support side, I think happy parents could very well correlate to an expanded shrimptank collection for you. Tourque them off too much and your prospects for expansion could diminish. Trust me, many of us have to use that exact approach when negotiating conflicts with our own "tank companions".

that's exactly how they are, I agree 100% they basic make all my decisions for me or try and get me to pick one over the other.

in fact my mom pulled the, I can only control what you do until you move out, and I can only hope and pray that u raised you good and you dint play those types of games.

I mean I've played them for longer then I wo t be playing them, I have already decided that when I turn 18 I'm moving out, no matter what.

oh and she said that she asked M friends mom what we played when I go over their, so I have no wat to play.

How old are you exactly?

My parents didnt control my life so much. They made sure I understood the difference between right and wrong at a very young age and then I was off to do what I wanted. Armed with the ability to choose whats good or bad for me.

I have a similar parenting style.

Ive taught both my boys the same way..I let them make their own decisions even if I know its not the most beneficial to them...they learn.

My son beat halo3 when he was 6yrs and now plays halo 4 and will be gifted halo5 when it comes out.. I even let him play GTA 4 (with the voices turned off) and hes only 8...he likes to drive the cars and run from the cops and such..knowing all the while its just a video game..just as I did.

But back to your original question..I never had to deal with it so I cant help much. But I do know its easier to listen to your parents than it is to fight them. Much less effort and stress.

yeah, they are the kind of people that look up mom blogs and see this "the gore and shooting desensitizes them" even though I can turn blood and gore off, and the pastor at my church sent them a 5 page long paper of how you cab beat people with your gun and punch and kick them and run them over with tanks and such, and I tries saying its just poop and its not all true m, and they give me the well your just saying that so you can play.

call of duty and most fps games come naturally to me, I beat cod 3 when I was 6(3 times), beat bo1 5 times since I was 8 or so, I beat halo reach a few times, halo 4, I have a kd of 1.4 I think on bo2, and I was getting ready to sell my rare heroscape figures to by a Xbox one to play bo3, then they give me all this.

I'm 12 and a half.

Well..thats a sketchy time in a kids life. Gonna have to just go with the flow and make minimal waves...(hopefully theyll come around)

My friends growing up had parents like yours. They wouldnt let their kids do any of the stuff my brother and I could do...but now 20yrs later theyre some of the coolest people I know! They just wanted their kids to grow up under their terms is all.