Rob's Budget 5gal CRS build

Faralon

It's officially a shrimp tank.

5a58f8401d0db52eb62784efef29e904.jpg

53a4f18abeedd4732a8d04533dc3b319.jpg

469c3cc4abab5228ff16a34ce46856dd.jpg

Didn't take long before two of em swam into the output of the HOB, climbed on the filter pad, and are now inside the filter. Apparently the filter pad smelled tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like everyone survived the overnight.  More shrimp back inside the HOB filter.  I know the red one is back there, and I was manually moving them yesterday.  Today, I'm just gonna let them do their thing and see if they find their way back into the tank. 

Thanks Amanda.

I had my wife open up the box since I was on a meeting. I just realized that Shrimpscales sent it with a cool pack. Top notch!

Shrimpscales is the best! The shrimp I've gotten from him are absolutely stunning and the packaging is always great. The ones I received from him yesterday had a cool pack in the box too. :)

Was there any white flaky floatie thingys in your Tetra Safestart plus? I just used that for my new 10 gallon tank and there were all these white flaky things in it and it wont dissapate or go away.

If you drop your water level then the outlet wouldnt sit under water like that and allow the shrimp to climb inside your filter. They could end up in the impeller and be shrimp milk shake.

Nexus, there wasn't, just a cloudy liquid. Did you shake it up real good 1st?

Rye, I can't lower the water level for a few reasons, but that's a good suggestion. We'll have to risk the shrimp smoothie's for now.

All shrimp still accounted for. Doing a 1/2gal (10%) water change.

b2f755da9a272afa0921596602eaee6b.jpg

Looks like one of the dwarf chain swords cut loose too.

Current fix to keep the shrimp out of the HOb filter. (Pre-filter cut in half). I added an air stone since this cut down on the water breaking the surface.

3d52b8f315e544aa8659bba66cd62569.jpg

They still try to get in.../facepalm

4 week update:

Tank appears to be cycled, assisted by the seeded filter floss I purchased. Parameters are spot on.

Shrimp have been in the tank 1 week. I did loose 3 of them over the course of the week, one removed as recently as this am. I expected some loss, as this was my 1st shrimp tank, and a rushed cycle.

There were three shrimp that I didn't want to loose. The Panda, the Red, and the berried female. All three appear to be completely happy. I even have my 1st algae bloom starting on the glass. Leaving it for now to see if the shrimp eat it.

e2cced8b306956bb488b4e89b412333c.jpg

I picked up samples of all of the MK Breed food from Han, and three Indian Almond Leaves. Since this is just a 5.5 gallon tank, should I toss in a whole leaf, or cut it in half?

6db6e99bbc86fdc511e19b0279d330e1.jpg

Thanks for all your help / feedback on getting this tank up and running.

What I usually do is have a container full of leaves once mine is decaying I take it out and get one of the leaves from the container so then I don't have to wait for it to sink

Little shrimplets starting to take shape in this "Dirty" Mischling girl. She's been a good momma, I just call her dirty well...because she looks like a white car that's been thru a rally race. :)

6d27225b24a0aca078425ef3465ccac1.jpg

Fished out one of the smallest shrimp in the tank this am, but everyone else, and the basic parameters look fine so I'm worrying.

Quick little update. I adjusted the scape, as the angles of the rocks settled a bit too much, and I removed any dwarf sword that wasn't making it. I lost the panda shrimp too. Big bummer, but not expected for this n00b. I was even able to get a picture of a recent molt, so things "look" well in the tank. I haven't been as anal with water checks. Just maintaining TDS when changing water, and typical top offs.

Molt

7ebb5642b0c94d5ce203e32394853c11.jpg

be20f080793328f9003096357f47e87c.jpg

Where most of them are currently hanging out. (Behind the vertical piece of driftwood)

9cf0159976686ad45d5f5c8f6af8fae4.jpg

Oh yeah, I put a single Otto Cat in today too for assistance keeping the glass clean of algae. It's hiding currently.