Rob's Budget 5gal CRS build

Faralon

I have to use RO/DI water as I have 40ppm Nitrates in my tap water.  Using the RO side gives me about 13 TDS and 10ppm Nitrate.  Using the DI water gives me 0 TDS and 0 Nitrate water.  I added 3 pellets of fish food to the tank to start the cycle process.

So, knowing that the water I used to fill the tank is pristine, anything else is coming from either the substrate/driftwood/rocks/SL-Aqua Blue Wizard.  No additions of cycling bacteria.  These first two weeks are usually the "silly season" of a tanks life, so I expect oddities.  I also wouldn't put it past my Nitrate test kit possibly getting old.  The date on the bottle is 2017.  I'll probably end up taking a sample of the water to the LFS to verify my kit is showing the same results.

Heater is plugged back in, and maybe I'll add another to bring the temps up around your 86'f suggestion.

Since you have such a small tank I would use bottled spring water if you cant use your tap water or add a little baking soda to your RO. You want to use an alkaline water to draw any ammonia from your substrate.  And it really helps to add bacteria as soon as you start cycling and often during the first two weeks otherwise you are just wasting two weeks time. It is very possible to fully cycle a tank within 2-3 weeks if you follow a few guidlines. Buffering substrate shrimp tanks are a slighlty different animal when it comes to cycling. If you are in no hurry then I guess it doesnt matter. I am not that patient.

So, I actually WON the RAOK from Shrimpscales for10 Mischlings +1 panda. Horray!!!  Thanks again Shrimpscales!

But, the tank will only be 1.5weeks cycled by the time I get them, and failure is not an option!

Thanks to James Aquatics post on his quick cycle, I was presented with a new plan!  I put a post up on my local Reef Club forum asking if anyone with a FW setup had some used filter material I could have in exchange for a random Zoanthid Frag that I found still in my 90Gallon reef that I'm taking down.

I now have two filter pads from an Emperor 400 HOB that was running a 125gallon tank, and I grabbed 3 gallons of his water.

Time to SUPERCHARGE the beneficial bacteria in this 5.5gal and get it ready for shrimp!

Draining the tank, replacing the filter pad in the HOB with a pad from the 125 FW setup, adding 3 gallons of his water, and placing the 2nd pad in the display tank for 24hrs.

I'll do a quick WC the morning of the 8th before the shrimp arrive.  

Cross your fingers!!

The filter material will definitely help speed things up for you, the water is useless though. The bacteria you need are not in the water column but on surfaces. Congrats on winning the raok!

I was wondering about the water.  That solves that mystery.  I wanted to read up on if there were any beneficial bacteria in the water column so I got it just incase, but it appears they're all on the filter floss, driftwood, plants, and gravel. Just like "live" rock for reefs.  Thanks Rye!  I'll just fill it up with fresh remineralized DI.

2nd filter pad removed this am. The Aqueon was overstuffed and water was flowing over the media instead of thru it. My guess was there was a pretty good dead spot at the bottom of the back of the filter.

9b073416c7e262502abf1f5c879dd9ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank is ready for Shrimp, I'm done obsessing over the water parameters and overall general "readiness". Just going to have to hope that all I did was good enough to cycle this tank quick.

pH: 6.3

GH: 6

KH: 0

TDS: 150

Temp: 71

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites:0

Nitrates:0

Added some Ammo Lock just in case, and I'll be diligent with 0.5gal water changes every 2 days for a few weeks.

Fingers crossed, shrimps should be here soon.

Its strange you have 0ppm Nitrates unless you just did a 100% water change. If your tank is cycled it would be creating some nitrate. Are you sure you are doing the nitrate test correctly? you have to shake the absolute crap out of bottle #2.

Rye, yeah I just did a 100% change last night. Easy to do in these 5.5gallons factoring in the displacement of the substrate, rock and driftwood. The filter pad I used to seed got a little messy when I removed one of them from the overstuffed Aqueon.