Bacteria Infection

yup. pretty sure I'm dealing with one right now from contaminated shrimp I added to my tank. Hard to deal with, hard to prove. Ive pretty much succumbed to waiting it out and seeing where the chips land...

I'm in the same boat too! Yay..... Is there anything to add to the water to try and help with the infection and hopefully not harm the shrimp? I've seen on here that the API Melafix would e something to add to a shrimp emergency kit. Does anyone have any experience using them with neos and/or bees? It's a natural medication for bacterial infections. My issue is my snowballs are really white and I think they have an infection and I'm afraid they will infect my bees.

-Duffy

I've used melafix with my neos just fine, it doesn't cure the infection once they start showing signs in my experience. I've also used paraguard which seemed to work but the infection kept coming back.

Right now I've been doing this

along with a water reset and changing out the filters and stuff. I added seachem stability to the tank for a few days as well since I cleaned so much I didn't want a mini cycle. I lost a few at first but no more in the last several days.

From what I've read, bacterial infection are most likely due to insufficient tank cleaning. Two years ago, I had an issue in the tank with my mischlings and I think it was due to the cleaning of the tank. I was doing the same thing as for my smaller tank.

The way I've treated my shrimp was with hydrogen peroxide. This one sounds hardcore, but in my opinion it's not worst than most chemical products. In fact, it's the same thing that you put on your wounds to clean them. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide (the one you buy at the drugstore) and dosed 1 to 3mL par tank gallon/day. I've started with 1mL and increased to 3mL because I wanted effects. Hydrogen peroxide will break fast into water and oxygen so I don't feel it to be much dangerous. Important thing : you need to do water change every 2-3 days. In the bottle, there is a stabilizer to avoid the product to break before use. You don't want this stabilizer to accumulates in your tank. If it's the case, hydrogen peroxide won't break and may accumulate.

Doing this way, I've stop the infection without anymore deaths and the shrimps showing early symptoms healed. 

Shrimps getting cloudy are the most severely injured. The cloudy shows muscular necrosis than may not heal.

From what I've read, bacterial infection are most likely due to insufficient tank cleaning. Two years ago, I had an issue in the tank with my mischlings and I think it was due to the cleaning of the tank. I was doing the same thing as for my smaller tank.

The way I've treated my shrimp was with hydrogen peroxide. This one sounds hardcore, but in my opinion it's not worst than most chemical products. In fact, it's the same thing that you put on your wounds to clean them. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide (the one you buy at the drugstore) and dosed 1 to 3mL par tank gallon/day. I've started with 1mL and increased to 3mL because I wanted effects. Hydrogen peroxide will break fast into water and oxygen so I don't feel it to be much dangerous. Important thing : you need to do water change every 2-3 days. In the bottle, there is a stabilizer to avoid the product to break before use. You don't want this stabilizer to accumulates in your tank. If it's the case, hydrogen peroxide won't break and may accumulate.

Doing this way, I've stop the infection without anymore deaths and the shrimps showing early symptoms healed. 

Shrimps getting cloudy are the most severely injured. The cloudy shows muscular necrosis than may not heal.

p

Haven't tried this for infections but that much hydrogen peroxide could very well kill your plants.

I have used maracyn II multiple times with success, when I start seeing shrimp die one at a time over a period of a few days I start dosing. Deaths stop after dosing is complete. I add a pro biotic to the tank after dosing is complete as well. Water change a few days following that.

p

Haven't tried this for infections but that much hydrogen peroxide could very well kill your plants.

I only had java fern and moss when I treated. No effect on them. For a while, I was literally pouring some on my anubia to remove alga. Pretty effective and it never showed any adverse  effect. At that point, I would prefer losing a couple more sensitive plant than losing my shrimps. 

I have used maracyn II multiple times with success, when I start seeing shrimp die one at a time over a period of a few days I start dosing. Deaths stop after dosing is complete. I add a pro biotic to the tank after dosing is complete as well. Water change a few days following that.

What was your dosing regime?

I only had java fern and moss when I treated. No effect on them. For a while, I was literally pouring some on my anubia to remove alga. Pretty effective and it never showed any adverse  effect. At that point, I would prefer losing a couple more sensitive plant than losing my shrimps.

I had no problem with Anubis, just killed my java moss and Vals

• 1 month later...

I have recently use Hydrogen peroxide 3% for treatment of what looks like an Algae bloom on the substrate (sand) but found out this is a bacteria outbreak. I dosed 3 times in 10 days on this 15 gallon at 1/2 tsp. per gallon and finally it's cleared up. I used Ghost shrimp as a "canary in the coalmine" to make sure it was safe again for fish. They are still alive 16 days later and are ready to move fish back in their home again.

I have recently use Hydrogen peroxide 3% for treatment of what looks like an Algae bloom on the substrate (sand) but found out this is a bacteria outbreak. I dosed 3 times in 10 days on this 15 gallon at 1/2 tsp. per gallon and finally it's cleared up. I used Ghost shrimp as a "canary in the coalmine" to make sure it was safe again for fish. They are still alive 16 days later and are ready to move fish back in their home a

did it affect your beneficial bacteria ? and how big a water change did you do after the 10 day treatment...? you mentioned 3x in 10 days... was it one treatment every three days?

thanks