Which Neo should I choose?

With my Neo tank cycling, I have been thinking about what Neo shrimp I want to put in. Although, I am having trouble choosing. I like Red Rilis and I especially like Blue Dreams, but I can't really make up my mind.

If you were going to be setting up a Neo tank which shrimp would you choose? Either your favorite color, pattern, or an idea of a Neo you'd want that could be doable? I have never gotten the chance to selectively breed a shrimp yet and I wouldn't know what to even go for, but I think it would be fun. After seeing all of these new kinds of shrimp people have specifically bred I think it's pretty cool! New TBs are popping up all the time and I just saw Soothing Shrimp's Nessies, which are pretty awesome :).

Would it be possible to breed rilis to eventually change colors? Could I cross them or would it have to be a lucky mutation and then selectively breed from there?

I was also wondering if there were possibly any Neos I could put together that wouldn't cross-breed? Or another kind of shrimp that wouldn't cross-breed with neos and still handle the same parameters

currently:

PH: 7.2~

KH: 2

GH: 9

TDS: 300 (I plan to try and lower this if its necessary, but getting my KH and PH to stabilize has been interesting and requires more SCIENCE)

Temp: 74.5~

I know it will be eventually up to me to decide what to do, but have fun with this! What do you think would be a cool Neo project? ANY ideas and information is encourage :)

I beleive red rilis will start to have blue rilis after awhile? Not too sure.

Personally its a toss up between the bloody mary and yellow golden back shrimps for me. I like the deep ruby color of the BM but the only thing is you have to cull to have a nice looking colony. The yellow shrimp i like that they have a gold racing stripe down there back. Almost like you got "bling,bling" in there lols ;)

As soon as I saw this thread Soothings Nessies popped into my head because I'm trying to get my hands on those! I currently have Bloddy Marrys and OEBT together in a small 8 gal planted tank and I like the colors a lot. I want those Nessies though!!! hahaha

prat, right. :)

Duff, neos are great to work with.  I think you'll really like to do breeding with a goal.  It's not for everyone since there's a lot of blood, sweat, tears and space involved- or what I call the holy trinity space/time/money- but when you reach a goal, there's a lot of pride that goes with it.  You can sit back and say, "I did that!"  You even get to name your own strain.

For the record, no common neos I know are able to be kept together since crossbreeding will happen.

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is does it matter if a "type" has already been developed? 

• Lots of people curious about breeding for a goal try to breed cherry to fire red/pfr status.  It's a nice project that doesn't cost much to start, plus I think that is one reason why fire red strains are pretty hardy nowadays.  So many fire red strains have been developed and crossbred, the genetics are still diverse while keeping the modifiers in line.

Or is it important to you to work on something new?

• Why not attempt to create a consistent racing stripe on another color?  Striped chocolates or striped reds for instance?  In other places in the world, stripes are a separate strain, and have become quite popular.  Sometimes stripes are not just one color, either.  So you can even choose a particular stripe color if you find one, and even change that later on if another color consistently pops out.  To me, this holds the most promise.  For instance I have seen fire reds with white stripes, orange stripes, and even some with pink stripes.

Regardless what you choose, feel free to start a journal so others are able to learn from your successes and challenges.  I know I'd love to follow along to see what you come up with. :)

CHOCOLATE! Don't you think a chocolate with a stripe would look like a nice truffle drizzled with caramel?

Just a tip. Don't put them into a blackwater tank with brown plants and brown driftwood. They will become effectively invisible.

Tigers can live with neos and won't crossbreed which can make a really pretty tank.

Tigers would be awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for any I may like. I have some tangerines in my other tank and like them.

I beleive red rilis will start to have blue rilis after awhile? Not too sure.

Personally its a toss up between the bloody mary and yellow golden back shrimps for me. I like the deep ruby color of the BM but the only thing is you have to cull to have a nice looking colony. The yellow shrimp i like that they have a gold racing stripe down there back. Almost like you got "bling,bling" in there lols ;)

I haven't seen a BM in person, but the bright red looks awesome. I agree with the yellows with gold back. Definitely bling bling haha.

As soon as I saw this thread Soothings Nessies popped into my head because I'm trying to get my hands on those! I currently have Bloddy Marrys and OEBT together in a small 8 gal planted tank and I like the colors a lot. I want those Nessies though!!! hahaha

OEBT might be a good paired shrimp to go with the neos. I had some awhile ago in a 5g that breed well, lost quite a few with tank moves tho. I saw the post a couple days ago about the Nessies and I agree they are so awesome!

By neos you mean neocaridina right?

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk

I think soothing already addressed this but yes I am talking about neocaridinas :)

prat, right. :)

Duff, neos are great to work with. I think you'll really like to do breeding with a goal. It's not for everyone since there's a lot of blood, sweat, tears and space involved- or what I call the holy trinity space/time/money- but when you reach a goal, there's a lot of pride that goes with it. You can sit back and say, "I did that!" You even get to name your own strain.

For the record, no common neos I know are able to be kept together since crossbreeding will happen.

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is does it matter if a "type" has already been developed?

• Lots of people curious about breeding for a goal try to breed cherry to fire red/pfr status. It's a nice project that doesn't cost much to start, plus I think that is one reason why fire red strains are pretty hardy nowadays. So many fire red strains have been developed and crossbred, the genetics are still diverse while keeping the modifiers in line.
Or is it important to you to work on something new?
  • Why not attempt to create a consistent racing stripe on another color? Striped chocolates or striped reds for instance? In other places in the world, stripes are a separate strain, and have become quite popular. Sometimes stripes are not just one color, either. So you can even choose a particular stripe color if you find one, and even change that later on if another color consistently pops out. To me, this holds the most promise. For instance I have seen fire reds with white stripes, orange stripes, and even some with pink stripes.
Regardless what you choose, feel free to start a journal so others are able to learn from your successes and challenges. I know I'd love to follow along to see what you come up with. :)
Coming up with my own line would be awesome! Definitely a goal of mine some day :) and I would definitely set up a journal for it. Just have to figure out what I'd want to go for. The different colored stripes sounds cool. A stripe on a rili would look cool. I've seen some red rilis with only red color patches underneath. One of those with a stripe across the top would be awesome, I'd call it Duffaluffagus Stripeiatus hahaha.

Once I decide on a pattern/color goal to go for what would be the best way to go about breeding that specific variety?

CHOCOLATE! Don't you think a chocolate with a stripe would look like a nice truffle drizzled with caramel?

Just a tip. Don't put them into a blackwater tank with brown plants and brown driftwood. They will become effectively invisible.

Now you're just making me want a truffle. Especially since it is dessert day haha. A chocolate with a light brown stripe would look pretty awesome! My gravel is bright enough to show them well but my wood/rocks would probably hide them well haha

-Duffy

I have Black Diamond Neos and yep, they are pretty much invisible with my dark substrate. When you do see them though, they are stunning!

I have black sand tanks and pool sand tanks and place my shrimp according to color. For example, my blue dreams started out on black but kinda disappeared so I moved them to the light pool sand. My Bloody Marys are beautiful on black as are the yellows with the racing stripe. The tangerine tigers are on black and that works but my OEBTs are on light. I tried the red tigers on both black and white and they are just good at blending in. The point? If you are going to choose a black substrate, think about what you'll be able to see.

With my Neo tank cycling, I have been thinking about what Neo shrimp I want to put in. Although, I am having trouble choosing. I like Red Rilis and I especially like Blue Dreams, but I can't really make up my mind.

If you were going to be setting up a Neo tank which shrimp would you choose? Either your favorite color, pattern, or an idea of a Neo you'd want that could be doable? I have never gotten the chance to selectively breed a shrimp yet and I wouldn't know what to even go for, but I think it would be fun. After seeing all of these new kinds of shrimp people have specifically bred I think it's pretty cool! New TBs are popping up all the time and I just saw Soothing Shrimp's Nessies, which are pretty awesome :).

Would it be possible to breed rilis to eventually change colors? Could I cross them or would it have to be a lucky mutation and then selectively breed from there?

I was also wondering if there were possibly any Neos I could put together that wouldn't cross-breed? Or another kind of shrimp that wouldn't cross-breed with neos and still handle the same parameters

currently:

PH: 7.2~

KH: 2

GH: 9

TDS: 300 (I plan to try and lower this if its necessary, but getting my KH and PH to stabilize has been interesting and requires more SCIENCE)

Temp: 74.5~

I know it will be eventually up to me to decide what to do, but have fun with this! What do you think would be a cool Neo project? ANY ideas and information is encourage :)

Currently have a 5.5 gallon red rili tank with Royal blue tigers. They're doing well together, however it's only been a week so hopefully things stay well. 

In regards to rilis changing color over time, I've been selectively breeding for red on white body type red rili but introduced red rili with clear body which I suspect had the blue gene. A few months after introducing those new rili I have slowly noticed shrimplets displaying the blue tissue gene. The previous rilis I had in the tank were consistently showing only white tissue so its highly possible that depending on the tissue type (white vs clear) you can reintroduce the blue tissue gene to breed the blue tissue red rili variation.

I have Black Diamond Neos and yep, they are pretty much invisible with my dark substrate. When you do see them though, they are stunning!

I bet they are! I have seen Blue Diamonds (a lot of them were just black haha) and I really liked them. 

I have black sand tanks and pool sand tanks and place my shrimp according to color. For example, my blue dreams started out on black but kinda disappeared so I moved them to the light pool sand. My Bloody Marys are beautiful on black as are the yellows with the racing stripe. The tangerine tigers are on black and that works but my OEBTs are on light. I tried the red tigers on both black and white and they are just good at blending in. The point? If you are going to choose a black substrate, think about what you'll be able to see.

I will definitely keep substrate and shrimp color in mind. I will also make sure that my shrimp colors don't match either. Having Blue Dreams and OEBT together would be cool, but that would be a whole lot of blue mess haha. WIth my almost whitish substrate any color I choose should be ok besides Snowballs. The clearness on some of the rilis may blend in too.

Currently have a 5.5 gallon red rili tank with Royal blue tigers. They're doing well together, however it's only been a week so hopefully things stay well. 

In regards to rilis changing color over time, I've been selectively breeding for red on white body type red rili but introduced red rili with clear body which I suspect had the blue gene. A few months after introducing those new rili I have slowly noticed shrimplets displaying the blue tissue gene. The previous rilis I had in the tank were consistently showing only white tissue so its highly possible that depending on the tissue type (white vs clear) you can reintroduce the blue tissue gene to breed the blue tissue red rili variation.

Just curious what are your KH/GH/TDS? If you know. I have only kept the Tigers in more acidic water and want to get a better range of what they can handle. That is definitely good to know about the white/blue tissue possible "contamination" in terms of selective breeding, thanks! Also, I hope your shrimp stay well too.

Hi if you have an Instagram follow ( or just check out my page ) its @shrimpybusiness i actually breed Red RIlis and sell them lol and what makes it funny is im working on a project crossing Red Rilis with Dream Blues

I rarely follow instagram, but took a look on yours. Looks like you are doing well with your Rilis and Dreams :D I had a thought about possibly trying to cross them. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment so far with crossing them or have you not gotten too far into it yet?

I rarely follow instagram, but took a look on yours. Looks like you are doing well with your Rilis and Dreams :D I had a thought about possibly trying to cross them. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment so far with crossing them or have you not gotten too far into it yet?

Yah i recently had one berried Red Rili that was crossed have her shrimplets, half of her eggs were yellow (normal) and half were blue whcih im taking as a good sign so far. they are only a couple days old so hard to tell. Just send me a DM on instagram or Pm me on here if you wanna know prices on the red rilis

Just curious what are your KH/GH/TDS? If you know. I have only kept the Tigers in more acidic water and want to get a better range of what they can handle. That is definitely good to know about the white/blue tissue possible "contamination" in terms of selective breeding, thanks! Also, I hope your shrimp stay well too.

The water I've been using is conditioned tap, pH is roughly 8, and temperature between 78-81F (live in CA and haven't used AC till recently). I don't test TDS but I've been told by a recent buyer that he thought that I broke his TDS reader when he tested the water. I feed powdered food whenever I remember and WC every weekend. Never had issues with molting with my Neos. Today I found a Royal molt and a Royal had an opal sheen that I haven't seen before so I'm assuming it was his/hers. Knew it was one of the Royals because I pulled it out of the tank to examine the shape of the exoskeleton.

25d4e6c63f8ec13ba9758093e54d2247.jpg

4f3e3eb1db83be76a6d7e41d3da5b330.jpg