Test strips

Hi,

I am still pretty new to shrimping especially the water testing side of things, so would really appreciate some input from some more experienced people!

On the rare occasions I have tested my water I have borrowed my boyfriends API freshwater test kit, but have always had quite erratic results, especially for PH! Reading up on here it may be due to it being opened for a couple of years, but also possibly user error!

I have been looking at test strips and have read mixed reviews, they seem to me a much easier method of testing water, but if they aren't accurate I don't want to kill my shrimp.

So does anyone have any recommendations for good test strips, I need KH and GH as well?

Secondly do I need a TDS meter as well? If so any recommendations of budget ones?

I currently only have cherries but plan to add some tigers soonish and later to bee shrimp.

Thank you! Sorry for the long post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the test kit is a few years old and is giving you inconsistent results, it is time for a new one. Word on the street is not to trust the API liquid kits after two years post manufacture.

I actually like test strips, but I am in the minority. I have been using Tetra multistrips for the last few years, paired with an in-tank ammonia monitor made by Seachem. I would say that they are accurate but not very precise. Although they are perfect for frequent nitrite and nitrate checks, if your ultimate goal is sensitive bee shrimp that require specific GH, KH, and pH, you should look for a more precise method of measuring those values.

I need new strips, so I may be giving the Sera brand a trial run. I have their nitrate test kit, which is a thing of beauty compared to API's.

Yes, you will want a TDS meter. I have the Hanna Primo 2, no complaints.

Thanks for the info! I have been looking at the tetra multistrips, will try them until I get some bee shrimp. I had heard that tigers were more hardy which is why I want to try them before jumping into bee shrimp. (I also need to wait until I actually have some more room for multiple tanks)

I only use the strips to check Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.  I use an American Marine Ph monitor and the pinpoint stays in the tank for constant read-outs.  It is expensive - but worth it.  I use a TDS pen also

I would get a new test kit, if your just keeping neos I would skip even testing for PH, they will breed in tap and will adjust to your water. Just don't try to chemically adjust it as this will cause shrimp deaths.

Read the forums lots of good info and people here to recommend the best routes. Always be open minded as what works for everyone may not necessarily work for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am not too worried about the cherries, they have been in the current tank in tap water since June, and are breeding happily. As I'm looking into tigers I figure I should know a little bit more about my water parameters, it will also be good practice for when I move onto more sensitive shrimp.

I'm also in the process of moving house so want to be able to check that the new tap water is similar to my current tap water to prevent any issues.

Well I went ahead and ordered the test strips which arrived when I was at work today. Unfortunately my dog decided to open the parcel for me *sigh*

Here is the poor defeated test strips

8ac64e7eeddba9833960ec5d13dce6c9.jpg

And here is the offending (very pleased with himself) hound.

e93063868d41e4001720e47b79f3ab05.jpg

The tube is punctured in one place, I assume that they are no longer useable?