Favorite soil color?

What color soil do you like to use? Is there a color out there that shows off more shrimp than others?

I have used ADA Amazonia (dark brown) and the Brightwell rio-Cafe (light brown) and I was thinking of trying out the Brightwell escuro (black). These are the best of what I have immediately available to me, but if something will work better I am always up for alternatives.

I think I have liked the color of ADA Amazonia best so far. The BW cafe is a little bright for me, but does show off whites/blacks/blues really well. Sadly my TT's are still hard to see haha.

I am afraid that if I use the BW escuro that it will hide BKKs or half of my CBS mishclings haha.

Reds and whites in shrimp shouldn't matter, but blacks and browns/tans would be hard to please all. I was thinking about the grey of controsoil, but from what it sounds like in another thread is they aren't on amazon and it is difficult to get now?

I have black colored substrate and sometimes it is nearly impossible to see my black diamonds. I have always been a sucker for the light brown colored substrates... maybe it's because I am a sucker for women with light brown colored eyes...  ;)

I have black colored substrate and sometimes it is nearly impossible to see my black diamonds. I have always been a sucker for the light brown colored substrates... maybe it's because I am a sucker for women with light brown colored eyes...  ;)

I can see it now. Wine, candlelight, music, and "my dear, your skin is like ivory, your hair is like spun silk, and your eyes are the exact color of my shrimp dirt!" Sorry... just couldn't resist ;)

I can see it now. Wine, candlelight, music, and "my dear, your skin is like ivory, your hair is like spun silk, and your eyes are the exact color of my shrimp dirt!" Sorry... just couldn't resist ;)

Baby, your eyes are gorgeously light brown. Just the right shade to see my BKK breed on.

I'm sure there's a pickup line about acidity somewhere in there too, but I'll keep it classy.

You would be correct about the BW Escuro - anything dark disappears, though it makes for a good scavenger hunt! Fluval Stratum is much the same.  

In one tank, I forgot I had extreme BKK's, and OEBT mixed in, had a hell of a time figuring out how they got there until I found others =P

Just today I put another tank together with the BW Cafe, a little light colored, but hoping I can see my darks again.

You would be correct about the BW Escuro - anything dark disappears, though it makes for a good scavenger hunt! Fluval Stratum is much the same.

In one tank, I forgot I had extreme BKK's, and OEBT mixed in, had a hell of a time figuring out how they got there until I found others =P

Just today I put another tank together with the BW Cafe, a little light colored, but hoping I can see my darks again.

Bah. That's what I figured. Hmmm do I just go with black anyways? Reuse the same color (light brown) and keep my TT hidden? Or try to find a supplier that still has some controsoil? Or maybe find some magical acidic purple substrate and have the most fabulous tank.

Decisions.. Decisions..

Of the ADA soil lines. Is the Amazonia the only one thy leeches ammonia? Would the Malayan/Africana buffer the water too?

-Duffy

I know Controsoil is MIA right now, but I really like the brown Controsoil for my darker Taiwan Bees and the black for my lighter TB and PRL.

When I choose substrate color, it ultimately depends on what color the shrimp is, dark or light. 

Ooh! I vote for the magic purple dirt! If someone figured out new non "earthy" toned, slightly acidic substrate, they could mint their own money.

I need to find a mad scientist, and convince them to take a break from trying to conquer the world for a bit...

Ooh! I vote for the magic purple dirt! If someone figured out new non "earthy" toned, slightly acidic substrate, they could mint their own money.

I need to find a mad scientist, and convince them to take a break from trying to conquer the world for a bit...

Priorities of course! Conquer the world... create shrimp dirt the purple color of girlfiend's eyes... well shrimp dirt should win hands down!

I know Controsoil is MIA right now, but I really like the brown Controsoil for my darker Taiwan Bees and the black for my lighter TB and PRL.

When I choose substrate color, it ultimately depends on what color the shrimp is, dark or light.

I think I am just going to have to go with the lesser of two evils. I have both dark and light shrimp but the light brown will show more

-Duffy