Copepods?

Sandovalsbco

Hello shrimp people

Curious I was looking in my blue dream tank and saw small little white moving bugs. I did some browsing and think they may be copepods. This is the first time I've ever seen them in my tanks are these bad for my shrimp?

c5f3599521a459ca418130f825b272ae.jpg

https://vimeo.com/146462101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy! I just found these buggers in my tank today as well. I was looking into it and apparently they pose no threat and are nearly impossible to be rid of. Personally I'm not happy with the filtration in my tank so will be adding a sponge filter to assist the fluval chi currently "working". Maybe it will help control the population. Beautiful BD's btw. Wanting to get my hands on some but its hard here!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Thanks I am happy with them and their color. As far as the bugs they come out then go into hiding so I'm not irritated by them just want to make sure it doesn't interfere with my blue dream breeding. Once I get some more blue dreams I'm going to post on here to sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copepods are completely harmless. There are actually common, especially in shrimp tanks due to no predation from fish.

Over feeding can really get their population to grow.

Although I can't say for sure that what you have are copepods (pretty sure they are though). Do they swim at all? In a short burst/jerky swimming movements? If so, then they definitely are copepods. But if they don't swim, then they could be something else, although whatever "pests" they are most likely still harmless (only bad ones are hydra and planaria).

To eradicate them, just don't feed as much, or simply add a small fish to eat them up. But they do make a great live food source so you could use a cup and scoop (dip the cup rather and it sucks in copepods) and then dump the water/copepods into your fish tanks.

• 1 month later...

I found those in a betta bowl that was left vacant when it's old tenant died. It was a few weeks.months later we just kept putting water in the bowl because there was a bamboo plant growing in it.

It was cool watching them. then we added a new betta and they were all gone by the next day. 

I had these little guys pop up in one of my tanks out of nowhere a while back..  tank was probably 6 months old and I had added nothing new, and then one morning it was just swarming with the lil guys.

I put a couple endlers guppies in there for a week and they cleared em all out. have not seen any since.

bettas shouldn't be kept in bowls as they need a larger tank with a filter and heater.

copepods are a good treat for fish and especially for young fish.

I see this a lot on the internet these days but my wife has had bettas in that bowls for years. Usually 2-4 years a betta that was purchased as an adult.

Only problem was when a half moon betta went in and N began to build up, water changes fixed that. That bowl now has only a small ghost shrimp in it as the half moon betta moved to a Fluval Spec 3. Spec 3s seem great for bettas.

I question it as some of the stuff I have seen on the internet seems to get competitive with each person saying that the last person's suggestion is an unethical size and that one bigger should be used, until you have people suggesting 40-55 gal is the smallest they would go for a single betta. Modern bettas are more sensitive than old veil tails but those old bettas have a long history of living to ripe old ages in small bowls.

With a modern betta it is also hard to get the ~80 degrees they, like in an unheated bowl unless you live in a sweat lodge/betta shop.

It is one of those things that I have not seen good research on, like water changes as magic. If your tank params are perfect/near perfect why do a water change? My old malawi cichlid 55 got water adds all year to make up for evaporation and whatever the cats drank out of the power filter. Once every year or two I'd pump most of the sewage out of the under gravel and then fill up the tank to replace whatever was lost in this process. The water was terrifyingly hard (when I recently picked up this tank and moved it to our house from my fathers',  my wife took CLR to it to remove all the blue/green crystals from it as that would kill a shrimp dead) but the fish were happy and healthy when they lived there.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this thread was posted I have had these spontaneously generate in 3 tanks. The are now gone in the 55gal, I suspect the 2 celestial danios ate to blame. They are gone in the 10 now and I'm sure the baby bettas are to blame there. there are still a bunch in the 15gal as there is only 1 ghost shrimp in there (who seems to be eating the snails?).

Where do these come from?  Louis Pasteur says Aristotle is wrong and spontaneous generation is not a thing, are they airborne at some point? Were they in cysts in the drift wood for 20 years? I ended up with white things and daphnia in a tiny betta bowl at one point and all that got was tap water, how do they get around?

I now have plants showing up in my 5 gal bowl that contains a ghost shrimp. I took a pic but you can't really see anything in it. So I will wait for the plants to get bigger or grab a few and cultivate them in the 15 with the other "what is that?" that I found in some fissidens moss (might be riccia? if so, cool!).

Well on my journey to shrimp, at least my tanks are aging enough that other life forms are showing up in them.